Good coaching sighted! | The Boneyard

Good coaching sighted!

Reaction Score
Best in the country is probably a stretch, but we're 24-7 for a reason and a big part of that is coaching.

He and the staff deserve a lot of credit for the turnaround this season, just like they deserved blame when our team wasn't playing up to expectations.

Reaction Score
Best in the country is probably a stretch, but we're 24-7 for a reason and a big part of that is coaching.

He and the staff deserve a lot of credit for the turnaround this season, just like they deserved blame when our team wasn't playing up to expectations.
Really the only two inexcusable blemishes on the coaching staff this year are blowing the 17 point lead at Seton Hall, and the no-show against St Johns in Hartford.

Would much rather slump in January every year if it means winning 8 of our last 9 in Feb/March...which seems to be the trend under Hurley's tenure. I'd like to see our record broken down by month over the last 25 years. I would bet a lot of $$ that January is by far our worst month

Reaction Score
Really the only two inexcusable blemishes on the coaching staff this year are blowing the 17 point lead at Seton Hall, and the no-show against St Johns in Hartford.

Would much rather slump in January every year if it means winning 8 of our last 9 in Feb/March...which seems to be the trend under Hurley's tenure. I'd like to see our record broken down by month over the last 25 years. I would bet a lot of $$ that January is by far our worst month
And half our coaching staff was in a hotel room for the Seton Hall game. That one doesn't really bother me nearly as much as St John's

Reaction Score
And half our coaching staff was in a hotel room for the Seton Hall game. That one doesn't really bother me nearly as much as St John's

Agree 100%. The only "bad" loss feels like SJU to me. I do wish we could have eeked out a road win vs a top-5 team, but road wins vs top-50 teams are really hard to come by.

Reaction Score

I respectfully disagree. Here is why:
  1. His passion to basketball is unparalleled.
  2. His love, honesty, bond and loyalty to his players is unmatched.
  3. Since his arrival, we witnessed he can develop players.
  4. As a result, he can and will out recruit anyone if not all in the country.
  5. last but most importantly, coaching. I, along with impatient and shortsighted BYers here, often doubted him coaching tactics and strategies, but we easily forgot the fact that this is his first gig in prominent basketball stage. If you take away the first 2 or 3 years when he did not have much choice in terms of roster and offense scheme, he has showed us a lot of steady improvements in almost every facet of game: subs, timeouts, even beefing with refs…

He is No 1 pick in my draft!

Reaction Score
He's the best coach for us. He performs, he gets better, and he's a big personality. The northeast is super passionate about uconn basketball. You need a coach to match that passion. When people complained about his T's and his volatility we should realize that with all of our BY rants and living room object throwing we'd be T'd up as well. A mild mannered coach wouldn't match our fervor.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. The only "bad" loss feels like SJU to me. I do wish we could have eeked out a road win vs a top-5 team, but road wins vs top-50 teams are really hard to come by.
Had we not lost to SJU at home, we’d be at #2 in the seeding and it’s not a stretch to say we have a good shot at #1 if we win BE tournament champ.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
He is one of the best in the country for sure at certain aspects of the game but he has a ways to go and he has gotten noticeable better at certain parts.

Two things I think he has fixed this year:
-He was too volatile with the refs and he has toned it down a lot this year, I mean a ton. Even though most of us would have murdered at least one ref this year.
-His out of timeouts and end of half plays seem to be much better than previous years overall. Not sure if this is just having better shot makers or not, but I loved some of the plays they have run out of timeouts.

One that is a work in progress:
-He still has work to do on in game adjustments, but he eventually made the adjustment to help Jackson and it seems to be paying massively right now. It may have lost UConn a few games by not doing it sooner, but it wasn't necessarily an easy fix. It didn't just involve moving him to the dunkers spot or the four on the dribble hand off. They moved Sanogo around and also where Hawkins is running. It changed a lot of options.

Waiting to see how he does with Castle and Ball:
-Freshman PG development. This is currently the one massive hole in his resume for development. He's had three and all three have left barely better than they arrived offensively. To be fair next year is the first year he will have gotten his first choice. Every other position you can find player development success stories for players who have played at least two years with the program and been healthy.

He ticks a ton of boxes of what you want in a coach. He's not perfect but he is getting better and is already pretty darn good.

He's the best coach for us. He performs, he gets better, and he's a big personality. The northeast is super passionate about uconn basketball. You need a coach to match that passion. When people complained about his T's and his volatility we should realize that with all of our BY rants and living room object throwing we'd be T'd up as well. A mild mannered coach wouldn't match our fervor.

We all loved Calhoun (well I think we all did) and no one would say Calhoun wasn't a bit volatile. Basically, I agree.

Had we not lost to SJU at home, we’d be at #2 in the seeding and it’s not a stretch to say we have a good shot at #1 if we win BE tournament champ.

May have needed SHU also to get a #1 seed, but at worst if UConn hadn't lost that game SJU you are talking UConn with UCLA and Purdue for final #1.

Reaction Score
He is one of the best in the country for sure at certain aspects of the game but he has a ways to go and he has gotten noticeable better at certain parts.

Two things I think he has fixed this year:
-He was too volatile with the refs and he has toned it down a lot this year, I mean a ton. Even though most of us would have murdered at least one ref this year.
-His out of timeouts and end of half plays seem to be much better than previous years overall. Not sure if this is just having better shot makers or not, but I loved some of the plays they have run out of timeouts.

One that is a work in progress:
-He still has work to do on in game adjustments, but he eventually made the adjustment to help Jackson and it seems to be paying massively right now. It may have lost UConn a few games by not doing it sooner, but it wasn't necessarily an easy fix. It didn't just involve moving him to the dunkers spot or the four on the dribble hand off. They moved Sanogo around and also where Hawkins is running. It changed a lot of options.

Waiting to see how he does with Castle and Ball:
-Freshman PG development. This is currently the one massive hole in his resume for development. He's had three and all three have left barely better than they arrived offensively. To be fair next year is the first year he will have gotten his first choice. Every other position you can find player development success stories for players who have played at least two years with the program and been healthy.

He ticks a ton of boxes of what you want in a coach. He's not perfect but he is getting better and is already pretty darn good.

We all loved Calhoun (well I think we all did) and no one would say Calhoun wasn't a bit volatile. Basically, I agree.

Nothing to say other than I think you're spot on. Since Goodman called Hurley out, he has been a lot better. I know it was hard to hear for some fans, but it needed to be said and Hurley seems to have adjusted.

Reaction Score
Look, in coaching you're only as good as your last season and sometimes your last game. That's the deal. They know it. They are well compensated for it.

Coming out of the Ollie fiasco, the choice of Hurley made sense although he never coached at this level. He has proven to be up to the task. We have watched him learn and grow before out eyes.

Remember, Calhoun had his breakthrough year in 1990 and didn't make a final four until 1999. Hopefully Danny will get us there a little sooner. But even if it takes some time, the idiots who have posted his seat is getting warm are in for a disappointment.

Reaction Score
Nothing to say other than I think you're spot on. Since Goodman called Hurley out, he has been a lot better. I know it was hard to hear for some fans, but it needed to be said and Hurley seems to have adjusted.
Goodman has a lot of bad takes and bad analysis, but I actually believed him when he stated he talked to BE refs and that they had it with Hurley. I am glad Hurley has adjusted and learned how to control his emotions on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Goodman has a lot of bad takes and bad analysis, but I actually believed him when he stated he talked to BE refs and that they had it with Hurley. I am glad Hurley has adjusted and learned how to control his emotions on the sidelines.

Goodman wasn't making that up. Should he have said it on his podcast? Maybe not... but the guy isn't just a straight up liar. If he said he spoke to refs who are sick of Hurley, that's exactly what happened.

Reaction Score
There was a lot of rightfully deserved heat on the January collapse. Consistent bad coaching decisions led to our team being hunted and abused on the big weaknesses we have

But then the staff quietly made the adjustments to overcome those weaknesses. imo, the best coaching changes are the ones that you barely see. We know Andre is in different positions than he was before, we know Sanogo’s attack is different than it was before, but our offense mostly looks the same otherwise. If the offense looks the same, you want to defend it according to how it worked in January, but that doesn’t always work anymore

For all the hate Hurley got in January, big kudos to making the changes to build momentum and confidence going into March. The BET will be a coaching masterclass, Hurley has a great chance to outmaneuver some really strong coaches this week.

Reaction Score
A lot of us pointed to there going to be a WTF game and that was the St John's game where the team just didnt show up and defend. But that seems to be behind us. Providence just had their wtf game as the last game of their season heading into the big east tournament. I feel way better about our chances right now.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Yeah and Texas lost their coach in November and are going to be a 2 seed in the NCAA. There was no excuse to lose that game at Seton Hall. It was terrible play, not 2 coaches missing a game. It's not optimal, but you have to sustain.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
but the guy isn't just a straight up liar.
No but he is a straight up tool. He's a straight up hack too. Jeff Goodman is terrible at his job. Listened to Field of 68 After Dark Saturday night with Goodman as part of it for 2 hours. The guy is an imbecile.

Reaction Score
Yeah and Texas lost their coach in November and are going to be a 2 seed in the NCAA. There was no excuse to lose that game at Seton Hall. It was terrible play, not 2 coaches missing a game. It's not optimal, but you have to sustain.
Yes but once again you're missing the context of my post. It was specifically about the Seton Hall game being an inexcusable blemish on the coaching staff's resume

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom