Good Bad Or Indifferent ...... | The Boneyard

Good Bad Or Indifferent ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ladies got some air time on WFAN this morning with Boomer & Carton. Great few minute listen with Boomer showing he gets it. This by hoping UConn stays undefeated until we meet Maryland in the final!
UConn women beat No. 20 team by 65 points

Hope he gets what he wishes for other than the final outcome. :D

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Interesting clip, and I actually liked the honest - 'I don't give a damn about WCBB, but if I see they are on, I am going watch ten minutes just because it is a phenomenon and it transcends their sport.'

Just like I don't give a damn about CFB but when that Louisville QB is on I watch. Some things you don't have to love or even care much about to appreciate. As a sports fan you see skill and give it it's props.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Boomer does have a decent appreciation of UConn womens basketball and what goes into it and the way the final product looks and plays. It helps that the Knicks play the worst (team :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) basketball on the planet.

I think Boomer's reaction is a general characteristic of professional athletes on team sports who can understand the incredible discipline needed for these streaks. Of course pre-pubescent shock jocks will never get it. After the clip, the discussion (led by carton) devolved into sexist banter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
After the clip, the discussion (led by carton) devolved into sexist banter.
I am just going to call you out a bit here because I think it is important to distinguish between 'sexism' and clearly articulated indifference about a sport. If we use a 'loaded term' indiscriminately and or inaccurately we run the risk of creating a negative backlash and lessening it's effectiveness when we use it correctly.

Just because someone is not a fan of a sport does not make them sexist when that sport is a women's sport. I am not a fan of men's college basketball which does not make me a reverse sexist or a feminist or ______. It just means I don't like watching that sport and don't appreciate what others find exciting about it. Unlike many other discussions of Uconn and women's basketball, I thought they trod a fairly careful line of not being sexist - I didn't parse the whole conversation so their might have been a few dubious statements, but generally the discussion was 'what they are doing is phenomenal in any sport, but I am not interested in their sport, but because of their accomplishment we are discussing it, and I will watch if I get a chance just to see how they are doing what they do, just as I tuned into women's MMA because Rousey was so phenomenal and not because I have any particular interesting in MMA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They made some good points. The biggest probably being that most sports fans (men or women) don't know much of anything about WBB. BUT, a good portion of them know about UCONN and know Auriemma (or Geno).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom