Gonzaga takes over top spot in espnW's mid-major rankings | The Boneyard

Gonzaga takes over top spot in espnW's mid-major rankings

Reaction Score
Drake’s claim to fame was a rather short one after a bad week in Iowa.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
An intriguing question: Has Gonzaga put itself in position for a possible top-4 seed (and hosting spot) in the NCAA tournament?

With the win over a Stanford and only a loss to Notre Dame, they will surely be in the discussion for it as long as they don't take more than one or two losses in the WCC.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
GU hasn't lost since the first round of the Vancouver Showcase against Notre Dame, around a month ago.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Drake’s claim to fame was a rather short one after a bad week in Iowa.

de.jpg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That is an interesting question Plebe. Might depend on what some other teams do. GU had a habit of taking a bad loss or two in recent seasons. They avoided that in OOC this year, maybe they can run the table in the WCC. I have to admit I did not expect them to be this good. The rest of the cast other than Barta didn't wow me last season, but many players have stepped up this year.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has definitely exceeded a lot of expectations already this season. Win over Stanford was huge for them.

Two teams that stick out as having the ability to challenge the Zags in the WCC are St. Mary’s and Loyola Maymount. Loyola started off strong but has had a tough stretch with Gabby Green and Chelsey Gipson (their two best players) missing a few games each. St. Mary’s has three losses to Pac-12 teams and blew a nice size lead on a Cal team that was more than competetive against UConn to lose in OT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LMU definitely caught my eye with those early wins against UCLA and Arizona. Looks like they've lost momentum though (3 straight losses including some blowouts). SMC I've only seen once but they were completely non-competitive against Oregon St. UO handled them with ease as well.

Reaction Score
As impressive as the win over Stanford is—and let me just say that Stanford is a much better team this year than last—that win will only really be considered at the end of the year based on both Gonzaga’s AND Stanford’s season results. If Stanford can continue the great season they’ve been having and beating top ranked opponents, the win over them makes Gonzaga look all the more impressive. The PAC 12 seems like it’ll be tough this year and that can either make or break some of those teams come conference play.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
LMU definitely caught my eye with those early wins against UCLA and Arizona. Looks like they've lost momentum though (3 straight losses including some blowouts). SMC I've only seen once but they were completely non-competitive against Oregon St. UO handled them with ease as well.
That Arizona win was close, though. They came out gang-busters and out hustled and out "physical"ed our players for most of the game. But AZ came back in the 4th and was down 1 point with the ball under the basket with a second left. But Cate Reese put it up weak, and we lost.

My Rutgers background says it should never have come down to a freshman shooting with a second left. My observations of Arizona tell me that several Arizona players, Reese included, tend to "go up weak" at times, when they ought to be "going up strong". Just my opinion, of course.

Reaction Score
They were without a former top-15 recruit, Gabby Green, in the win against Arizona. Makes it even more impressive although still close.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Gonzaga takes over top spot in espnW's mid-major rankings
  1. Gonzaga
  2. Central Michigan
  3. South Dakota
  4. UAB
  5. Ohio
  6. Buffalo
  7. South Dakota State
  8. New Mexico
  9. Drake
  10. Toledo
Four out of the 10 are from the MAC.

According to Massey, here are the top mid-majors (Massey ranking in parentheses, teams in ESPN ranking bolded):

1. Gonzaga (15)
2. South Dakota (27)
3. Central Michigan (29)
4. Drake (30)
5. South Dakota St. (36)
6. Ohio (43)
7. New Mexico (44)
8. Buffalo (46)
9. Green Bay (49)
10. UAB (51)
11. St. Mary's (57)
12. Belmont (65)
13. Penn (66)
14. Northeastern (70)
15. Boise St. (71)
16. Toledo (72)

A few questions come to mind.
Who did Green Bay piss off?
Who on the Blade is now ranking mid-majors?
Is that Blade staffer also a Blazer?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
An intriguing question: Has Gonzaga put itself in position for a possible top-4 seed (and hosting spot) in the NCAA tournament?

With the win over a Stanford and only a loss to Notre Dame, they will surely be in the discussion for it as long as they don't take more than one or two losses in the WCC.

I think yes if they run the table here on out. They'd be 32-1 with their only loss being to Notre Dame, and they have a win over Stanford, plus convincing wins over P5 programs Rutgers and Washington State. Not that it matters to the committee but they also draw very well and should easily sell out 1st and 2nd round games if they host. One loss and it's iffy...2 losses and I think they're on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score

The last Mid-Major (by ESPN definition) to receive a top-4 seed was Delaware in 2012 (#3 seed which lost in 2nd Rd)

Then Xavier in 2011 (#2 seed which lost in 2nd Rd)
Then Xavier in 2010 (#3 seed which lost in Elite 8)

My post in Auriemma: UConn ranked No. 2 on reputation, not merit.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
According to Massey, here are the top mid-majors (Massey ranking in parentheses, teams in ESPN ranking bolded):

9. Green Bay (49)

A few questions come to mind.
Who did Green Bay piss off?
No one. They are 5 - 5; it is difficult, I think, to rank a 5-5 team in a ranking. Their only impressive win was Missouri, ranked 16 at the time. Their loss to Northwestern is their only bad loss. But 5-5, 1 good win and 1 bad loss just isn't impressive.

And yes, the Blazers lack good wins (Oklahoma?) but you can't hold them responsible for losing to Tennessee, their only loss. Still too high, I agree.

It is a tough ranking to do the mid-majors. Schedules vary. Even tougher to figure out how good they actually might be come tournament time, I think.

Reaction Score
Technically, but ESPN doesn’t include the American or Big East.
UConn is not a mid-major.

If anything, UMass should have taken the invite to the MAC when they could have.

Reaction Score
About time Gonzaga women's basketball getting some respect. Coach Lisa has been building a solid program over the years.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well I would say Coach Graves built a solid program and Coach Fortier has been a bit up and down in maintaining it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom