Gone Viral: Who's Watching? | The Boneyard

Gone Viral: Who's Watching?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess it started a few days ago when some one or two recruits embedded Geno's 2016 "body language" speech (now called a "rant") in a Facebook posting. Now articles are being generated in various publications offering up pieces of this speech (one is in the news links, but I have seen 6 so far). So, who wasn't watching last year as the 4peat loomed? And why now? I suspect that is an easy question. Last year the Huskies had The Holy Triumvirate - that was why UConn was special, right? This year was going to be the year UConn came out of the clouds and joined the merely mortal in WCBB.

Well, that didn't happen. AND, at the same time, this group who insultingly became known as role players, blossomed into a team that epitomized Geno's team ball concept, while obviously enjoying each others successes. (they may well eclipse the UConn assist record). OMG, there is no I in team! Who knew? This man is a genius!!!

So who is absorbing this message? Players? Parents, who in turn will start hectoring their entitled kids about cheering on the bench and smiling when a team mate scores? The opportunities for comic skits are endless here.

I say, whatever works.

Here is another of those articles with the embedded video. UConn is dominating women's basketball by realizing it takes more than just talented players

And one which partially explains the viral phenomenon. Coach Geno Auriemma's Year-Old Take On Body Language Goes Viral And It's Still Worth The Watch

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I shared this video on facebook. I also wrote some thing along the lines of:

My daughter played the most dirty and dispecttful teams I have ever seen. They not only did they disrespect the other team, the other teams coach and their own coach, they disrespected the game itself. I told my daughter, if I was the coach none of those girls would see the court. She said the team would never play. I said oh well. We would forfeit every game then cuz I would never let those girls on the court.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I guess it started a few days ago when some one or two recruits embedded Geno's 2016 "body language" speech (now called a "rant") in a Facebook posting. Now articles are being generated in various publications offering up pieces of this speech (one is in the news links, but I have seen 6 so far).

The video was even posted on VolNation. :cool:

Reaction Score
Thanks for the post. First of all that's no "rant". Secondly that's just an honest opinion on some AAU and high school athletes. And finally it's a huge compliment to the players that the Huskies recruit. We see it in every game they play. Their enthusiasm and genuine happiness for their teammates comes through loud and clear.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guess it started a few days ago when some one or two recruits embedded Geno's 2016 "body language" speech (now called a "rant") in a Facebook posting. Now articles are being generated in various publications offering up pieces of this speech (one is in the news links, but I have seen 6 so far). So, who wasn't watching last year as the 4peat loomed? And why now? I suspect that is an easy question. Last year the Huskies had The Holy Triumvirate - that was why UConn was special, right? This year was going to be the year UConn came out of the clouds and joined the merely mortal in WCBB.

Well, that didn't happen. AND, at the same time, this group who insultingly became known as role players, blossomed into a team that epitomized Geno's team ball concept, while obviously enjoying each others successes. (they may well eclipse the UConn assist record). OMG, there is no I in team! Who knew? This man is a genius!!!

So who is absorbing this message? Players? Parents, who in turn will start hectoring their entitled kids about cheering on the bench and smiling when a team mate scores? The opportunities for comic skits are endless here.

I say, whatever works.

Here is another of those articles with the embedded video. UConn is dominating women's basketball by realizing it takes more than just talented players

And one which partially explains the viral phenomenon. Coach Geno Auriemma's Year-Old Take On Body Language Goes Viral And It's Still Worth The Watch
One of the articles says the first video posting by a professional hitting coach has had 27 million views already, and copies of the video has been posted on various accounts so the views are probably much higher when aggregated.

Reaction Score
Should have been called roll players.

Reaction Score
Not to knock Geno, but one of the oldest interpretative visions in all human history is that things used to be better than they are now. As we get older, we get more sentimental for the older days and somehow believe things were better then. It doesn't mean that Geno shouldn't select recruits for body language, but I strongly suspect that the kids he was recruiting 20 years ago weren't significantly different than these kids. Sure, there are some measurable differences generationaly (parents more demanding; more transfers), but these are the product of the fact that there is finally expectations of professional reward in the WNBA. But as to whether "kids today" are fundamentally different attitudinally, well, here's something from over 1/2 century ago.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of a very tongue in cheek post of mine from January entitled "System is Rigged in UConn's Favor," discussing how unfair ;) it is that UConn is allowed to only recruit team-oriented players.

It was kind of long but here is the beginning:

Watching UConn play it’s really hitting home that the system is rigged in their favor. When will the NCAA get a clue?!

For over thirty years Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey have been building a culture of discipline, team-first attitude, willingness to be coached, getting the details right, and sacrifice for long term goals. Sure, it seemed innocent enough at first, but after a while it becomes insidious.

Apologies for touting, but it did get 69 likes. Link to the full post: System is rigged in Uconn's favor

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I say, whatever works.

WCBB coaches, players and fans across the country often wonder: "Just what is Geno Auriemma's secret.? What is it that he does that makes his program successful year in and year out? What does he do that's different from what the other coaches do.? Well now we know. The secret is out. Like the late Paul Harvey use to say on his daily radio program: "And now you know the rest of the story". Somehow I don't think it's as simple as Geno makes it sound.

Why? Because knowing what Geno does, and how he does it, does not mean YOU can do it. He just said it's getting harder and harder to find players that are skilled, selfless, and are willing to be coached, and sacrifice their personal stats for the team. How many college coaches go into a recruit's home, not make them any promises, and tell them we'd love to have you, but we're going to win with or without you?.

Once a coach develops his/her own unique style and coaching philosophy, it's hard for them to change midstream to another style they see someone else being successful with.
As we all know, most coaches have large egos. So, given the right players and scenarios, they think their way will work. All they have to do is get their players to buy in, and commit to the program, its philosophy and each other, and the championships will soon follow. Easier said than done.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not to knock Geno, but one of the oldest interpretative visions in all human history is that things used to be better than they are now. As we get older, we get more sentimental for the older days and somehow believe things were better then. It doesn't mean that Geno shouldn't select recruits for body language, but I strongly suspect that the kids he was recruiting 20 years ago weren't significantly different than these kids. Sure, there are some measurable differences generationaly (parents more demanding; more transfers), but these are the product of the fact that there is finally expectations of professional reward in the WNBA. But as to whether "kids today" are fundamentally different attitudinally, well, here's something from over 1/2 century ago.

Agree completely about 'fond memories of bygone days' syndrome, but I think there are major changes in all sports that are more significant than just that nostalgia, and I think the involvement specifically of the helicopter parents has exploded in society. Specific to WCBB and women's sports in general, that change has been monumental - in my childhood there weren't any women's sports in general and no professional options. They were still playing the 6 player, limited dribbles, offense/defense brand of women's basketball in a lot of places around the country until 1971. And it wasn't until title IX that anyone said women had a right to plays sports.

Reaction Score
Agree completely about 'fond memories of bygone days' syndrome, but I think there are major changes in all sports that are more significant than just that nostalgia, and I think the involvement specifically of the helicopter parents has exploded in society. Specific to WCBB and women's sports in general, that change has been monumental - in my childhood there weren't any women's sports in general and no professional options. They were still playing the 6 player, limited dribbles, offense/defense brand of women's basketball in a lot of places around the country until 1971. And it wasn't until title IX that anyone said women had a right to plays sports.
Agree, UcMiami. But you're talking "pre-history", i.e., "pre-Geno." Geno's talking about how it "used to be" less than 25 yrs ago. Granted, that WNBA has made a difference in certain aspirations, but, specifically, about "body language" and therefore a broader cultural shift, that's a really, really hard one to measure. I always err in the side of "it's the same song...."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think this photo, from the Albany game, pretty much sums up what he expects of players on the bench:

12538792.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom