OT - Golic Family | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Golic Family

Reaction Score
No Pal, not any jock could do it. Like most jobs viewed from afar, it's a lot harder than you think. And Golic was good at it and was entertaining. You guys are stepping on their grave a bit too enthusiastically for my taste. Greenberg is a smart and talented guy with interesting and provocative insights. Now he'll be able to express them in a more serious "Morning Joe" type of format. I'm betting he'll do well.

Greeny was better than Golic in my view. He was more flexible in discussing most sports while Golic was only solid in football as expected. He knew nothing about the rest and wasn't very good at faking it either. Was he okay at the mic as an ex-jock just doing a TV/Radio show, yeah not awful. But as far as details and someone I'd like to listen to for an opinion about a team, a game, a critical play (outside of football) there was no use for him, basically clueless.

Reaction Score
Greeny was better than Golic in my view. He was more flexible in discussing most sports while Golic was only solid in football as expected. He knew nothing about the rest and wasn't very good at faking it either. Was he okay at the mic as an ex-jock just doing a TV/Radio show, yeah not awful. But as far as details and someone I'd like to listen to for an opinion about a team, a game, a critical play (outside of football) there was no use for him, basically clueless.
OMG! Greeny? He doesnt talk about sports. He talks about stars. LeBron, Brady, LeBron, Tebow, LeBron, Tiger, LeBron.
If he were on after noon, I'd play the LeBron Drinking game with Greeny. Golic Junior has a bight future

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Family resides in South Windsor and the boys are around my age. Everyone I know who knows them says the whole family is awful.

Reaction Score
It's pretty bizarre that Jake Golic decided to throw a social media fit about this, since it was known back in January that his dad and Greenberg's show was coming to an end, his dad is keeping his job, his brother is getting a higher profile job and the Mike & Mike show is still going until the end of 2017. Someone should have given Jake the same little speech Michael Sterling gave Suzyn Waldman when she was having her on-air breakdown 2007 - "Well, [Jake], in life all good things come to an end." Mike & Mike had an 17 year run doing their Odd Couple act on a national stage. That ain't bad.

I'm curious to hear how Greenberg's solo show does. In the past, when he's tried to go solo, it hasn't worked out well. His game show didn't take off and his guest host duties on a morning network show didn't lead to anything bigger. Maybe this show works out for him or maybe he'll find out he was better off as part of a team.

Reaction Score
The ridiculous thing is that both Golics somehow kept their jobs

The whole family is insufferable, including the annoying wife and daughter

Mike Jr. is awful

LeBatard with StuGotz is very good and I like Russillo, mainly because he spends more time on the NBA. Can only talk NFL so much. The NFL product is terrible right now.

Golic never really offered anything that could be called an insight. His job seemed to be to play the dumb jock. Which he was fine at but any jock could do it. He should be grateful he got the gig and that it lasted as long as it did.

Greenburg isn't any more interesting. But he probably was more savvy in figuring out who's arse to kiss. If his show enjoys anything beyond mediocre success it will be an upset.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to hear how Greenberg's solo show does. In the past, when he's tried to go solo, it hasn't worked out well. His game show didn't take off and his guest host duties on a morning network show didn't lead to anything bigger. Maybe this show works out for him or maybe he'll find out he was better off as part of a team.

I don't think I had ever heard of someone, before that guy in this thread, admit to actually being a Greenberg fan. People aren't tuning in because of him. People listen to him because he is on when most of us are driving to work, he gets spoon fed the biggest names, and there are few other options. ESPN lost their minds with this one. The brass has such a terrible feel for his appeal. He isn't going to tank the show but it is going to continue its slow decline just like the rest of the SportCenters. And they are going to be paying him bukou money when any Joe or Mike could be doing the same schtick at 1/10th the price.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think I had ever heard of someone, before that guy in this thread, admit to actually being a Greenberg fan. People aren't tuning in because of him. People listen to him because he is on when most of us are driving to work, he gets spoon fed the biggest names, and there are few other options. ESPN lost their minds with this one. The brass has such a terrible feel for his appeal. He isn't going to tank the show but it is going to continue its slow decline just like the rest of the SportCenters. And they are going to be paying him bukou money when any Joe or Mike could be doing the same schtick at 1/10th the price.

The money is the change they find in their couch.

The move makes no sense in relation to the entire direction they moved in.

They are trying to sell personalities - and they are going to give 6 hours a day (3 live/3 re-broadcast) to the one person who has zero personality.

I guess some people are watching this stuff - there are so many quality podcasts that I can't keep up with that I have zero need for any non-live sports programming on any of these networks.

I can't even picture anyone watching First Take or Bayless or Cowherd and actually paying attention to it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does anyone here actually like ANYONE in sports media?

Not suggesting that Mike/Mike are great, but I don't think I've heard anyone here say anything good about anyone.

Sure - here goes a very quick list:
-Love Gary, Keith and Ron on SNY for Mets games.
-Bob Pappa does a fine job with the Giants radio broadcast
-Kevin Burkhardt - formerly of SNY - now on Fox
-Howie Rose and Josh Lewin can breath some life and fun in to most boring Met radio broadcast - although Josh has some annoying habits at times.
-Steve Somers on WFAN is pure gold at times.
-Cory Chavis does a nice job on color commentary for CBS college football
-Sam Rosen - Rangers TV broadcasts

There are many others I personally enjoy - but these are the ones I think of first.

Reaction Score
Sure - here goes a very quick list:
-Love Gary, Keith and Ron on SNY for Mets games.
-Bob Pappa does a fine job with the Giants radio broadcast
-Kevin Burkhardt - formerly of SNY - now on Fox
-Howie Rose and Josh Lewin can breath some life and fun in to most boring Met radio broadcast - although Josh has some annoying habits at times.
-Steve Somers on WFAN is pure gold at times.
-Cory Chavis does a nice job on color commentary for CBS college football
-Sam Rosen - Rangers TV broadcasts

There are many others I personally enjoy - but these are the ones I think of first.

Thanks!

Reaction Score

Not suggesting that Mike/Mike are great, but I don't think I've heard anyone here say anything good about anyone.

I've always been a fan of the College Gameday Guys

And for Saturday Night football, Herbie and Fowler are great, Musburger was amazing too.

Big fan of Sean McDonough, although I prefer him more for basketball then Monday Night football.

And then loved everytime Berman did the home run derby.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Mike Anthony is doing his job well so far. Michael Holley on eei is fun. The PMT boys. Thats about it

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Joe Castiglione on Red Sox radio is awesome. Even Dave Obrein is actually fine doing games on NESN because he's not paired with Doris Burke in a who can talk the least about the game that's being played competition. The Sox also have Steve Lyons and Dennis Eckersly doing some games and they're entertaining (filling in for the insufferable Jerry Remy.

I love Sean McDonough. He's a fantastic straight man when paired with clowns like Bilas or Dukie V.

I also don't hate Dibble's show, it's especially gotten better since he picked up the cohost. I'm pretty sure I'm in a small minority there though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom