OT - Golic Family | The Boneyard

OT - Golic Family

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've heard all over that Mike & Mike was getting less popular almost by the day. ESPNRadio doesn't really come in too clearly on my commute, so between that and my podcasts, I stopped listening years ago and I didn't mind. Popular bits went by the wayside and then they stopped taking listeners' calls. It kind of ran it's course, IMO, which begs the question: If a Golic talks on the radio and no one is tuned in, did a Golic actually talk on the radio?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The amount of ads between segments on Mike and Mike plus the Dan Le Batard show have made me want to stop listening for awhile now. I swear they play 10 min worth of ads, then when you hear the show come back, one of the hosts has to read another add. Brutal.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Golic family seems to complain a lot about people who are fired. Wasn't the wife complaining about Diaco getting canned?
The irony is that both kids played on offense and Mike Jr. was recruited by Charlie Weis. He announced it on Mike & Mike.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This was known for a long time. They announced Greenberg's move to TV months ago. But I guess Jr. thought nepotism was a lifetime benefit. Sr. is fine, he is already rich and can get any analyst job he wants.

Reaction Score
Golic never really offered anything that could be called an insight. His job seemed to be to play the dumb jock. Which he was fine at but any jock could do it. He should be grateful he got the gig and that it lasted as long as it did.

Greenburg isn't any more interesting. But he probably was more savvy in figuring out who's arse to kiss. If his show enjoys anything beyond mediocre success it will be an upset.

Reaction Score
It isnt cancelled, just changed. It's been talked about for months...it's just being announced officially today.

How could the kid not know this ??? It's actually a HUGE step up for his brother.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Does anyone even listen to espn radio? Their shows are absolutely brutally bad

Reaction Score
Does anyone even listen to espn radio? Their shows are absolutely brutally bad

Especially Mike and Mike. Actually Mike and anyone. Use to love to listen to Steve Czaban out of Washington.

Give someone else a chance.

Flip me but anyone named Mike, or whose last name starts with a G, absolutely sucks mothballs.

ps Mrs G has a LOT to be accountable for her dissing UConn for the Diaco firing ( god I expressed that so pg, guess its not Thursday).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Especially Mike and Mike. Actually Mike and anyone. Use to love to listen to Steve Czaban out of Washington.

Give someone else a chance.

Flip me SShitee but anyone named Mike, or whose last name starts with a G, absolutely sucks mothballs.

ps Mrs G has a LOT to be accountable for her dissing UConn for the Diaco firing ( god I expressed that so pg, guess its not Thursday).

Listened to Czaban while h was on XM. Now it's Travis Clay on Ch 83.

Morning sports radio blows.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It isnt cancelled, just changed. It's been talked about for months...it's just being announced officially today.

How could the kid not know this ??? It's actually a HUGE step up for his brother.
He's pissed because his brother cashed all the nepotism cards at ESPN.

Reaction Score
It's been a crappy show for awhile now. Little insight, same bad jokes told over and over again. Not that the replacement was gonna be any better....it was tired. Not too mention how many god damn vacations did the guy get? Fill in hosts are almost the norm for that show...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Go back far enough on some iteration of the Boneyard and you'll find my posts mocking Notre Dame for recruiting the kids in return for being talking about on a terrible morning radio show.

The punchline is that ESPN is going to have Greenberg on from 7-10 and then replay the show at 10 on ESPN2. That makes SC6 look like Picasso collaborating with van Gogh.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I was not a fan. Never listened. Too corporate, too plastic, too boring, too many commercials and just not enough fun.

One of the aspects that can make ESPN radio lame is that it tends to ignore products, topics, other media that don't align with the greater ESPN product line up. ESPN radio can be insular and too hamstrung by self promotion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So Czaban is no longer insiteful or interesting to listen to? I don't get XM.

I'm not in DC and I'm not a podcast kind of guy. Hence, Czabe doesn't exist in my world.

Reaction Score
Thank god Mike and Mike is ending. Not a single interesting segment or take the entire time they were on the air. Boring hacks.

Will miss the "you're fat!" "you're wimpy!" jokes! THEY WERE SO FUNNY!

Reaction Score
Golic never really offered anything that could be called an insight. His job seemed to be to play the dumb jock. Which he was fine at but any jock could do it.
No Pal, not any jock could do it. Like most jobs viewed from afar, it's a lot harder than you think. And Golic was good at it and was entertaining. You guys are stepping on their grave a bit too enthusiastically for my taste. Greenberg is a smart and talented guy with interesting and provocative insights. Now he'll be able to express them in a more serious "Morning Joe" type of format. I'm betting he'll do well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No Pal, not any jock could do it. Like most jobs viewed from afar, it's a lot harder than you think. And Golic was good at it and was entertaining. You guys are stepping on their grave a bit too enthusiastically for my taste. Greenberg is a smart and talented guy with interesting and provocative insights. Now he'll be able to express them in a more serious "Morning Joe" type of format. I'm betting he'll do well.
I agree. Golic is good at what he does. But I can't stand what he does. Same for Greeny. I'm not watching.

Reaction Score
This was known for a long time. They announced Greenberg's move to TV months ago. But I guess Jr. thought nepotism was a lifetime benefit. Sr. is fine, he is already rich and can get any analyst job he wants.
Jr. is the replacement on the show, so a big step up for him. I guess you are the Jake Golic of this thread?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They have a long 18 year run, so you can't argue the product didn't work....but for me personally it was the ultimate safe home platform to push the ESPN product array. The show was like an infomercial for all things ESPN.

Reaction Score
He was paid millions. Young Golic should shut it.

On another note, the Bomani Jones show (podcast format) is pretty good

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom