Goliath taller than Bria Hartley? | The Boneyard

Goliath taller than Bria Hartley?

Reaction Score
Only one figure in the Bible has his height mentioned, the Philistine "giant" Goliath (no need for a last name on his jersey). Israeli researchers have lately been puzzling the big guy's exact size. The general conclusion seems to be (article attached) that, while tall for his time, the G-man would not be tall for a person of our time. He was, in fact, no taller than Bria Hartley.
Bria's height has been the sine quo non of ascertaining one's correct height. Why Bria is always cited in height comparisons has been lost in the mists of Husky lore. (Bet one of you knows the true story.) I can only remember when Harley missed 11 3's in a row.
But there is disagreement as to Goliath's actual height. The problem is figuring out how measurements were calculated. I know, for example, that a "cubit" (the rough distance from your elbow to your wrist) is necessary for building an ark to Noah's specs. Using current assumptions, Goliath may have been as tall as 7'9." That's big even now and casts a long shadow over Ms. Hartley.
You may be wondering why I bring this up at the moment. It's because I came across the following in the Jerusalem Post:
AND because, like you, I'm a tad bored . . .

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Only one figure in the Bible has his height mentioned, the Philistine "giant" Goliath (no need for a last name on his jersey). Israeli researchers have lately been puzzling the big guy's exact size. The general conclusion seems to be (article attached) that, while tall for his time, the G-man would not be tall for a person of our time. He was, in fact, no taller than Bria Hartley.
Bria's height has been the sine quo non of ascertaining one's correct height. Why Bria is always cited in height comparisons has been lost in the mists of Husky lore. (Bet one of you knows the true story.) I can only remember when Harley missed 11 3's in a row.
But there is disagreement as to Goliath's actual height. The problem is figuring out how measurements were calculated. I know, for example, that a "cubit" (the rough distance from your elbow to your wrist) is necessary for building an ark to Noah's specs. Using current assumptions, Goliath may have been as tall as 7'9." That's big even now and casts a long shadow over Ms. Hartley.
You may be wondering why I bring this up at the moment. It's because I came across the following in the Jerusalem Post:
AND because, like you, I'm a tad bored . . .
I read an article several years ago that suggested Goliath had a hereditary pituitary disease that made him large, but would have affected his vision and coordination. IIRC the author was arguing that David may well have had the upper hand at any distance. Speculation of course, but interesting.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine owned a house built in the 1700's. I could (at 6'2'') stand in rooms, but I had to duck down to get through doorways and bend down to reach door nobs. These people were small. I'm glad Myles Standish retired. He used to block my shots.

Reaction Score
Bria's height has been the sine quo non of ascertaining one's correct height. Why Bria is always cited in height comparisons has been lost in the mists of Husky lore.
Pardon but it's sine qua non .. I use this term a lot :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I read an article several years ago that suggested Goliath had a hereditary pituitary disease that made him large, but would have affected his vision and coordination. IIRC the author was arguing that David may well have had the upper hand at any distance. Speculation of course, but interesting.
Four cubits and a span these days would be about 6’ 8”, I can’t call up a good comparison, but at 6-10, you have Kevin McHale who’s tall and Andre the Giant, who was a giant.

I remember the guy with his analysis of David and Goliath. I was shaking my head at some of his speculations, but he lost me when he said the projectile from the sling had the same momentum as a 50-caliber high-powered rifle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Myles Standish was the tallest Pilgrim at 5’2””. If you’ve ever been on the Mayflower replica, you get an idea of the typical height of people. But Standish could dunk. Big hops.
Rumor has it that Standish had a doughnut shop, and that is how it was said he could "dunk" and how he would "hop" to serve the tables, and it went over "big" with his customers.

Many years later, a francise made the story into a business.... now you know the "Rest of the Story" of Dunkin'

Reaction Score
Four cubits and a span these days would be about 6’ 8”, I can’t call up a good comparison, but at 6-10, you have Kevin McHale who’s tall and Andre the Giant, who was a giant.

I remember the guy with his analysis of David and Goliath. I was shaking my head at some of his speculations, but he lost me when he said the projectile from the sling had the same momentum as a 50-caliber high-powered rifle.
With the mass of a 0.50 caliber projectile at 42.83g and a muzzle velocity of 853 m/s [1919 mph] is a mismatch versus a 120 g [4 oz.] "smooth" stone would need a release velocity of 304.45 m/s [685 mph]. {p= mv is the equation, which is why I call it "Pomentum" because it actually starts with a "p"} The most that I have been able to generate with an 26 inch sling is 185 mph, but it was not delivered in a "death match" so it lacked adrenaline and I have not been trained in the delivery of an on target smooth stone...

However, I am sure it (a smooth stone with similar momentum) would have stunned anyone with a very thick skull to protect their warrior brain, which means having the same momentum of a 0.50 caliber projectile was not a requirement, as it was written that David slayed the giant with Goliath's own sword. The stone strike was only to the bring down the giant to David's level, so he could successfully grab the sword and finish the death match, while everyboby else's mouths were agap. David being proficient with his sling, as Steph Curry is at making 3-pointers in his challenge matchups with not one guarding [you could also insert Azzi Fudd in this analogy...], he would have already been running to grab the sword as Goliath went "lights out" and was in free-fall to the ground.

David 1, Goliath NOTHING; final match score; and the line from Vince L: "Winning is everything!"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yes, by he "lost me" with the sling generating as much momentum as a 0.50 caliber rifle was that he made a sensational claim; I ran the numbers he cited for the sling and it didn't bear out his claim. I ran the numbers for a .45-caliber pistol and they were actually pretty close. I could see someone misspeaking but not miswriting something like that. That combined with speculation based on very little didn't wow me.

His thesis wasn't that David winning was possible, it was that David winning was, or should have been, expected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom