OT: - Golf - US Open 2019 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf - US Open 2019

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not too early to start the conversation after this weeks tournament.

I picked Koepka wire to wire for the PGA, but I think he did the Tiger thing and took too much time off. Finishing 50th this week wasn't enough to knock the rust off.

Not surprising after the last two rounds (64 & 61), I'm going with Rory. His ball striking is about the best you've ever seen. Driving, irons, even the shorter distances are all spot on. Most importantly for him, his putter seems dialed in which tends to be his biggest problem. I don't expect a wire to wire result, he'll be a few shots behind going into the weekend and then he's going to wreck the field again. 3 stroke lead going into the 18th.

As they said a few times during the telecast today, when Rory is on, he makes the game look easy. He's on.

If I had a chance to go to Vegas this week with $600, I would put $300 on Rory (12/1), $200 on Scott (30/1) and $100 on Cantlay (20/1).

Who you got?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Would love to see Koepka, Tiger,. DJ and Rory all in the mix playing well.

Pebble isn't a long course so I don't think the bombers have an inherent advantage.

Greens are small and are poa annua. They will get beat up and they get some grain by the end of the day.

I've been high on Xander winning a major this year and he is a West Coast California boy.

My pick? Spieth. I've been down on him for a bit because, well, he's sucked for the better part of 2 years. His game is rounding in to shape with some top 10's and he does better on shot maker courses.

Love West Coast Opens as TV goes from 3-10 pm on Sat/Sun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not too early to start the conversation after this weeks tournament.

I picked Koepka wire to wire for the PGA, but I think he did the Tiger thing and took too much time off. Finishing 50th this week wasn't enough to knock the rust off.

Not surprising after the last two rounds (64 & 61), I'm going with Rory. His ball striking is about the best you've ever seen. Driving, irons, even the shorter distances are all spot on. Most importantly for him, his putter seems dialed in which tends to be his biggest problem. I don't expect a wire to wire result, he'll be a few shots behind going into the weekend and then he's going to wreck the field again. 3 stroke lead going into the 18th.

As they said a few times during the telecast today, when Rory is on, he makes the game look easy. He's on.

If I had a chance to go to Vegas this week with $600, I would put $300 on Rory (12/1), $200 on Scott (30/1) and $100 on Cantlay (20/1).

Who you got?

Heard this afternoon today was Rory's fourth win of seven or more shots. No one else on tour has more than one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tiger Woods begs to differ.

I was in the car when I heard the stat; I did see in the write up from the Canadian Open that this is Rory's fourth time doing it. I had thought Tiger had lapped the field more than once but haven't (and probably won't research it).

Reaction Score
Would love to see Koepka, Tiger,. DJ and Rory all in the mix playing well.

Pebble isn't a long course so I don't think the bombers have an inherent advantage.

Greens are small and are poa annua. They will get beat up and they get some grain by the end of the day.

I've been high on Xander winning a major this year and he is a West Coast California boy.

My pick? Spieth. I've been down on him for a bit because, well, he's sucked for the better part of 2 years. His game is rounding in to shape with some top 10's and he does better on shot maker courses.

Love West Coast Opens as TV goes from 3-10 pm on Sat/Sun.
It's not long, but its strategic. Very small greens though. Going to be cool and breezy.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to this week and then for Travelers next week. Shameless plug.... spoke with 2014 Travelers Champ winner Kevin Streelman for my podcast. Talks life on tour -- really interesting to me to hear what a standard week on tour is like, guys he likes to play with and more.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Rory dropped to 8/1 from 12/1. Cantlay dropped to 16/1 from 20/1 and Scott went to 33/1 from 30/1. I think I'd stick with all three bets but would be ecstatic if I locked them in yesterday.

Others of note:
Koepka 15/2
Dustin 8/1
Tiger 9/1 (that's a bad bet)
Spieth 16/1 (there may be value there)
Rose 22/1
Rahm 25/1 (that's a good value I think)
Fowler 25/1 (I think you're better off lighting a cigar with that money)
Schauffele 25/1 (very good value)
Molinari 28/1
Day 28/1
some others
Kuchar 45/1
Snedeker 50/1
Mickelson 50/1 (this is where Tiger should be)
Stenson 55/1 (he's been hitting it well, but probably far past his prime)

I don't see anyone other than Koepka, Dustin, Rahm, Schauffele and the three in the first paragraph having a chance. Maybe Molinari and Spieth with an outside chance, but I doubt it.

Still taking Rory as my pick straight up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, don't ask why, but in the middle of channel surfing I came across the World Golf Hall of Fame ceremony.

The MC had been doing group announcements of all the HOF's in attendance and camera would pan to the golfer as they stood for acknowledgement. When Jack's name came up, he was slouched in his chair, camera zoomed in and Barbara had to give him a nudge for him to snap to and give the crowd a wave of the hand. Not a good look.

Learned tonight that Jan Stephenson's career was ruined by a mugging in Miami in the mid-80's at the peak of her career and it forever ruined her left hand and her ability to compete at a high level.

Also learned Goosen was hit by lightning when he was 15. Story goes it blew half of his clothing off and the other half melted to his body. They had part of that clothing in his display case.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rory dropped to 8/1 from 12/1. Cantlay dropped to 16/1 from 20/1 and Scott went to 33/1 from 30/1. I think I'd stick with all three bets but would be ecstatic if I locked them in yesterday.

Others of note:
Koepka 15/2
Dustin 8/1
Tiger 9/1 (that's a bad bet)
Spieth 16/1 (there may be value there)
Rose 22/1
Rahm 25/1 (that's a good value I think)
Fowler 25/1 (I think you're better off lighting a cigar with that money)
Schauffele 25/1 (very good value)
Molinari 28/1
Day 28/1
some others
Kuchar 45/1
Snedeker 50/1
Mickelson 50/1 (this is where Tiger should be)
Stenson 55/1 (he's been hitting it well, but probably far past his prime)

I don't see anyone other than Koepka, Dustin, Rahm, Schauffele and the three in the first paragraph having a chance. Maybe Molinari and Spieth with an outside chance, but I doubt it.

Still taking Rory as my pick straight up.

With my previous picks above, I'd feel okay Thursday morning if I had money on Brooks, Tiger, Rory, DJ, Xander and Spieth.

This course should be fine for Molinari but he hasn't really lit up the majors this year. Agree Rickie is $$ pissed away. Still not sure Rahm has it in him right now.
I can see value in Rose but not on Scott. Scott's putting is always a crap shoot and the bumpy greens at Pebble don't lend themselves to his game.

I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on the bottom four listed.

Reaction Score
So, don't ask why, but in the middle of channel surfing I came across the World Golf Hall of Fame ceremony.

The MC had been doing group announcements of all the HOF's in attendance and camera would pan to the golfer as they stood for acknowledgement. When Jack's name came up, he was slouched in his chair, camera zoomed in and Barbara had to give him a nudge for him to snap to and give the crowd a wave of the hand. Not a good look.

Learned tonight that Jan Stephenson's career was ruined by a mugging in Miami in the mid-80's at the peak of her career and it forever ruined her left hand and her ability to compete at a high level.

Also learned Goosen was hit by lightning when he was 15. Story goes it blew half of his clothing off and the other half melted to his body. They had part of that clothing in his display case.
He’ll be 80 on his next birthday... need to cut the GOAT some slack.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He’ll be 80 on his next birthday... need to cut the GOAT some slack.

Yeah. I would think whoever is MC'ing and coordinating would have a prompt or something for some of the old timers to know what is going on. Wasn't a good look at all.
A few of the inductees referenced Jack in their acceptance speeches and the cameras panned towards him. he somewhat acknowledged the reference with a nod of the head or some other non-verbal but he wasn't very active.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I would think whoever is MC'ing and coordinating would have a prompt or something for some of the old timers to know what is going on. Wasn't a good look at all.
A few of the inductees referenced Jack in their acceptance speeches and the cameras panned towards him. he somewhat acknowledged the reference with a nod of the head or some other non-verbal but he wasn't very active.
Saw some of it on Golf Channel, and saw it was held on west coast. Probably past his bedtime if he flew out that morning.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fox was running promo ads for the US Open and didn't include Koepka in its ad featuring key players.

Just what he needs is more internal motivation from perceived disrespect.

Koepka not thinking about 3-peat at U.S. Open

On Tuesday, Koepka said he felt slighted that FOX, which is broadcasting this week's tournament, didn't include him in a commercial promoting the U.S. Open.
"I don't know. You guys tell me," Koepka said. "I wasn't on notables after winning? There's a couple of things where it's just mind-boggling how -- it's like, really? Like, how do you forget that?"
Koepka said he didn't see the FOX commercial until a few of his followers on Twitter pointed out the omission.
"I just clicked on the link and saw it and watched it," he said. "Just kind of shocked. They've had over a year to kind of put it out, so I don't know. Somebody probably got fired over it -- or should."

Reaction Score
Fox was running promo ads for the US Open and didn't include Koepka in its ad featuring key players.

On Tuesday, Koepka said he felt slighted that FOX, which is broadcasting this week's tournament, didn't include him in a commercial promoting the U.S. Open.
"I don't know. You guys tell me," Koepka said. "I wasn't on notables after winning? There's a couple of things where it's just mind-boggling how -- it's like, really? Like, how do you forget that?"
Koepka said he didn't see the FOX commercial until a few of his followers on Twitter pointed out the omission.
"I just clicked on the link and saw it and watched it," he said. "Just kind of shocked. They've had over a year to kind of put it out, so I don't know. Somebody probably got fired over it -- or should."

He’s the best player in the world. Why would FOX ignore him at this point? It’s just odd.

Reaction Score
Makes no sense to ignore Koepka. Except he didn’t resonate with non-golfers maybe. My hope is that they don’t set this course up like the weekly tour course. That seems to be what they’ve been doing at the Opens lately. Give me narrow fairways penal rough and lightning fast greens and let the boys have at it. You miss the fairway par should the result of great play, not just not getting a birdie. The US Open ought to be won at something around par. Too often of late it has been tough to distinguish the Open from the Poulin Weedeater Invitational. Last year seemed to be getting back to normal. Erin Hills was an embarrassment

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Golf Channel said Fox made four of them, Koepka was in three , they chose poorly.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I threw down some decent money on Koepka, Fleetwood, Schauffele, Cantlay, and Snedeker with some smaller bets on Kuchar, Scott, and Stenson.

Moral of the story: DJ or Tiger will probably win

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

of course there were four and he is in three, one he is the only golfer in. highly entertaining how slighted he feels over nothing.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
56 holes played so far 2 birdies 19 bogeys or worse, the morning is when the course is the easiest before the greens have sped up.

I’m going with talent this week. Brooks and DJ.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom