OT: Golf Lessons | The Boneyard

OT: Golf Lessons

Reaction Score
After playing 14 years and still struggling, I’m ready to take a series of lessons, preferably video oriented. I’m considering GolfTec or the head pro at Chris Cote’s in Portland. Does anyone have suggestions for an instructor who helped them considerably? Thanks in advance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
After playing 14 years and still struggling, I’m ready to take a series of lessons, preferably video oriented. I’m considering GolfTec or the head pro at Chris Cote’s in Portland. Does anyone have suggestions for an instructor who helped them considerably? Thanks in advance.

I’ve heard good things about the guy at Quarry Ridge. I think they are looped in with Cote’s now though?

Reaction Score
Without knowing those folks, my suggestion is that you put the time into both lessons and practice. If you have the best pro give you lessons and you aren’t practicing at least 2x/week it is really difficult to create muscle memory without having a million thoughts in your head.

Most of the time lessons will break your swing before making it better so the time is key. I’ve gone years in a row on neutral cause I can’t play consistently.

Also, don’t sign up for a 4K package from the video guys after the first trial. Take is 3 or 4 lessons at a time and find someone you gel with.

Reaction Score
Without knowing those folks, my suggestion is that you put the time into both lessons and practice. If you have the best pro give you lessons and you aren’t practicing at least 2x/week it is really difficult to create muscle memory without having a million thoughts in your head.

Most of the time lessons will break your swing before making it better so the time is key. I’ve gone years in a row on neutral cause I can’t play consistently.

Also, don’t sign up for a 4K package from the video guys after the first trial. Take is 3 or 4 lessons at a time and find someone you gel with.
I appreciate the advice, I do actually practice/play 4-5 times per week now but I’m practicing the same bad habits and trying to implement things I see on YouTube etc so my game has actually gotten worse over the years. I agree that taking fewer lessons initially until I click with someone makes the most sense, thanks again.

Reaction Score
What do you typically shoot?
All over the map. At one point I was shooting around 90 but that was when I lived in Florida and played more often. I’m more like 100 now or slightly over. Would love to get into 80s eventfully. How about yourself?

Reaction Score
All over the map. At one point I was shooting around 90 but that was when I lived in Florida and played more often. I’m more like 100 now or slightly over. Would love to get into 80s eventfully. How about yourself?

I typically shoot mid to high 80's, with a few 90's mixed in. I've learned to play smarter golf, driver isn't always the best off tees, especially with shorter par 4's. I'm a very good iron player, and average at best with my driver.

What are your strengths?

Reaction Score
See Kevin Giancola at Golf Quest in Southington (Chris Cote shop there too).Kevin was one of the best players to come out of Connecticut. I've been playing for over 50 years and have worked with pros over the years. Giancola was by far the best instructor. He uses video and some home made props.
(860) 621-3663
In the end all instructors are trying to accomplish the same thing: club face square to the ball at impact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

More often than 4-5 times a week? I shoot around high 90's to 102 or so, but only play twice a month most of the time.
If you are playing that much, lessons would likely help. I'm curious what the good and bad parts of your game are? Everybody is different. My weakness is approach shots with irons. I miss the green most of the time, even when I hit perfect drives.

Reaction Score
Gerry DaMora at Portland West. He works with lots of beginners but likes to work with folks who can play. Doesn’t make it too technical or complicated but can really explain clearly. My go to guy when my game goes south. I found him when my daughter, who played on her college team so she isn’t a slouch went to him to fix a balky short game and highly recommended him.

Reaction Score
Keep it simple. Most people try to focus on too many of the small details.

Reaction Score
I found that GolfTec didn't translate to the course as well as taking lessons from a pro on a range. I also found them less personal and less flexible.

Reaction Score
Gerry DaMora at Portland West. He works with lots of beginners but likes to work with folks who can play. Doesn’t make it too technical or complicated but can really explain clearly. My go to guy when my game goes south. I found him when my daughter, who played on her college team so she isn’t a slouch went to him to fix a balky short game and highly recommended him.
Nice guy and good for beginners. I used to live across the street and saw him working mostly with women. There are probably better choices for someone who has been playing awhile but who knows.

Reaction Score
I did a 10 package lesson at golftec. I was about a 18 and now I’m down to about a 12. I was always in the 90s but now in the mid 80s. The instruction was decent but I think the video practice is what really helped the most I think. Being able to see every swing as you practice is amazing. I am a tinkerer and always changing things up slightly and so it helped me be more consistent. I have added 25 yards on my driver and stopped slicing the ball.

It’s a bit pricey but well worth the investment. I think though if you find a pro that is good it’ll be more helpful

Reaction Score
More often than 4-5 times a week? I shoot around high 90's to 102 or so, but only play twice a month most of the time.
If you are playing that much, lessons would likely help. I'm curious what the good and bad parts of your game are? Everybody is different. My weakness is approach shots with irons. I miss the green most of the time, even when I hit perfect drives.
4-5 is on the high side because I’ve been working on things at the range. I average playing once and range once per week probably but want to start practicing the right habits obviously, hence the lessons. I feel your pain with the approach shots, I used to be very good with my 7-PW but have just lost feel for them, especially the 7. I can’t hit any iron longer than 7 these days so I play hybrids instead.

Reaction Score
I found that GolfTec didn't translate to the course as well as taking lessons from a pro on a range. I also found them less personal and less flexible.
This is exactly my thought. GolfTec and the pro at Chris Cote’s do video oriented lessons on a simulator. I prefer hitting outside, especially with access to bunkers etc.. I really appreciate everybody’s input here and will hopefully share good updates soon.

Reaction Score
I typically shoot mid to high 80's, with a few 90's mixed in. I've learned to play smarter golf, driver isn't always the best off tees, especially with shorter par 4's. I'm a very good iron player, and average at best with my driver.

What are your strengths?
Formerly my strength was with my mid irons but now I feel like there is no strength. How about yourself?

Reaction Score
Formerly my strength was with my mid irons but now I feel like there is no strength. How about yourself?

My irons are my strength. I recently reduced my driver usage, instead hitting a 17° driving iron or 3i off the tee. I save my driver for longer par 4's and some 5's. If I can get inside 160 yrds with an iron off the tee, I'll go with that instead of driver or 3w.

Reaction Score
Find a teacher that can communicate with you. Might take more than 1 pro to find the one that connects with you. Worked for me. Only wished I went to him more often.

Reaction Score
See Kevin Giancola at Golf Quest in Southington (Chris Cote shop there too).Kevin was one of the best players to come out of Connecticut. I've been playing for over 50 years and have worked with pros over the years. Giancola was by far the best instructor. He uses video and some home made props.
(860) 621-3663
In the end all instructors are trying to accomplish the same thing: club face square to the ball at impact.
Thanks Danzz, I’ve scheduled a lesson with Kevin Friday, I can’t wait.

Reaction Score
Thanks Danzz, I’ve scheduled a lesson with Kevin Friday, I can’t wait.
Most pros would be able to help but I just found Kevin to be creative in the way he teaches. He was a college All American and former Nike tour player who is completely self taught so he created obstacles for himself.
I was opening up the club head at the top of my swing and he used a taped up shoe box and head cover to get me back to coming from the inside. I hope it works for you and we expect a report. Good luck!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom