OT: - Golf fans-US Open 2020 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf fans-US Open 2020

Reaction Score
My father-in-law is a big golf fan (I am not). His 60th birthday is in June and we want to surprise him with tickets to the US Open in Mamaroneck. Does any one have any insight on...
1) where to get tickets?
2) which day is best in re: to cost?
3) general experience if you've ever been to Winged Foot or any major golf event? E.g. How crazy is the crowd? Can you actually see the action, etc. (I've only ever been to the Travelers)

Any info would be great.

Reaction Score
My father-in-law is a big golf fan (I am not). His 60th birthday is in June and we want to surprise him with tickets to the US Open in Mamaroneck. Does any one have any insight on...
1) where to get tickets?
2) which day is best in re: to cost?
3) general experience if you've ever been to Winged Foot or any major golf event? E.g. How crazy is the crowd? Can you actually see the action, etc. (I've only ever been to the Travelers)

Any info would be great.
I recommend buying tickets directly from the USGA @ usopen.com. Tickets for Monday-Wednesday are $50 per for gallery tickets. Thursday is $120 per, and Fri-Sun is $150 each. As the week progresses, the crowd's grow. I was at the 2006 US Open at Winged Foot, and the crowds were large and intense - just like at Shinny and Bethpage. I suggest parking at Westchester Community College and taking the shuttle to the course. You can see the action, but if you're a casual fan who only appreciates the superstars, you may find it difficult to get close to those guys during the round. My favorite spot is the grandstands right of the 18th green. The leaderboard will be set up left of the green, so the crowd goes crazy everytime the scoreboard changes. The course is long, but it's not a difficult walk. I'm sure there are others who know more than me, but this is a start. Have fun!

Reaction Score
I am going and have been to Winged Foot for both a PGA and US Open. First off, fantastic old school course. VERY easy to get to, as Metro North will run special trains to Mameroneck, and the course is only about 5 minutes or so away from the train station. I would suggest Thursday or Friday, as you get to see all of the golfers. You go on the weekened after the cut, you may miss some guys you really wanted to see. I love the sightlines and course layout at Winged Foot.

Reaction Score
If you're willing to spend a bit extra, having a ticket with access to one of the tents/clubs can be really nice. I went to the US Open at Merion a few years ago, and the day I went had severe thunderstorms. While everyone else was trying to find a hiding spot on the course, we were in the club area. I think this year they're calling it a sports bar it's about $250 for the ticket. Also nice if it's really hot out and you want a spot w/ AC to chill.

Reaction Score
I went to the Open there in '06 also. It can be fun, but frankly it's more fun as a party than "seeing the action." You can see far more action on television. I remember hanging out in bleachers near one of the par 3 greens for a while, but unless you have great vision you can't see the golf ball from 220 yards away when they're teeing off, so finding it as it flies to the green can be difficult.

Bottom line -- I love being at games and being part of a live, intense crowd, but I'd save that for team sports and watch the Open on television myself.

Reaction Score
I've been to a number of golf tournaments including the Travelers. The Travelers is a great golf tournament for watching golf as that is how the course was laid out. Sitting on the hill on #17 where you can see the par 4 #15, par 3 #16, and par 4 #17 is the best vantage point (for general admission) that I have experienced at a golf tournament. Most golf courses are not set up for crowds to watch, especially around the greens unless bleachers have been installed.

I would recommend going on the Thursday or Friday. First, the crowds are generally lighter. Also, all the golfers are still in the tournament and they tee off on two holes to start the day, #1 and #10. That means in the early morning, the crowd will spread out all over the course so you can get closer to players and follow groups. If you follow a group or two in the morning, pick a spot to watch the afternoon golfers as the course will be more crowded.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Two suggestions.

1. Get Thursday or Friday tickets. You never know which big names will miss the cut, but everyone plays Thurs/Fri.
2. Consider getting practice tix for Tues (Many players skip Wed or have a very short Wed to rest up for the weekend). I have been to a few PGA events and twice to the Masters for practice days. You get to see the players hitting practice shots from different areas of the fairway and practicing putts to different areas of the green. When you watch them actually hit those shots during the weekend you realize it's not just a spur of the moment decision, but rather they were thinking of the situation and practicing the situation days earlier. Added bonus is more fan/player interaction and better chance for autographs.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I would also recommend the Travelers. I have gone every year now for about 15 years straight, and have been going since I was a child. The price is great. The field is great. Course walkability and concessions are great. And it also has a huge plus that other golf tourneys may not have - on site parking. I went to The Northern Trust last summer at Liberty National, and we had to park at a local mall and get a shuttle. It went smoothly, but it added another 1.5 hours to the trip. The Travelers crowds are relatively sparse Thursday, and get bigger each day (like most tourneys), but you will never really have an issue fighting crowds or fighting for views like you will have to do at a major. I would say the overall experience as a golf fan is relatively better at non-major tournaments, minus the fanfare and prestige. If he's a huge golf fan though, and has never been to a major, go for it. There are ups and downs on both sides.

Reaction Score
I would recommend setting up at a reachable par 5. Maybe the 5th or 16th? Long iron into the green is best shot in golf. (imho). As others mentioned thurs-fri.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom