OT: Golf courses | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Beautiful day yesterday in Florida. Humidity was low enough I didn't have to change out gloves once the whole round. Almost found a cloud in the horizon.

IMG_20200612_112100906~2.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
fenwick, old saybrook, tho sometimes it helps to know, or be known, by someone there.

Reaction Score
Its been a long time but I always considered Tallwood a better course than Blackledge.
That was when the Ovian brothers owned it. I heard the Twin Hills family bought it quite awhile ago. Use to see Gerry Brooks of Channel 3 there often. Things change.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It’s so busy that the best tee time I could get was 1:30. Wife is pissed because I likely won’t be home for dinner and miss helping with bedtime for the 5 month old. Consider it my Father’s Day present.
1:30 ain't even that bad. Last weekend we tried to get out as a foursome in Southern CT. Everywhere we called told us the earliest we could play was like 5:00. When was the last time this happened?

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
1:30 ain't even that bad. Last weekend we tried to get out as foursome in Southern CT. Everywhere we called told us the earliest we could play was like 5:00. When was the last time this happened?
I’ve only really played for 5 or so years and it’s typically been this busy. Maybe more so this year slightly

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There is a small par 3 up the street from me in Stratford on the beach. The views can be spectacular also on a couple of holes.

Not worth a travel (because its all short holes good for March/April wedge practice) but it has its distractions:

View attachment 54106

Short Beach, right? Spent lots of time there in middle and high school. One time years ago I was there with my dad and cousin, who was a fairly new golfer. The 8th or 9th hole is a par 3 that goes over a small pond, and there is a street with houses off to the left. My cousin hooked his iron severely and cleared the netting, and ended up hitting a house with wood shingles dead on. Didn't do any damage luckily, but you could probably hear the noise it made a mile away.

Growing up I played a lot at Short Beach, the Orchards in Milford, Sleeping Giant, and there was a municipal course in Hamden that was a dump...Meadowbrook, I think? There was a par 5 on that course that I birdied a few times, was dead straight and downhill. In the middle of summer I hit a few drives that were probably close to 300 yards because of the roll.

Played a 9 hole course in Glastonbury today - Minnechaug. Fun and challenging. It has a 120-yard island green par 3. The next hole is also a par 3, and it's a beast, with about 130 yards of water to carry. Played it twice to get in the 18.

The last couple of years my father and I have taken a trip up to Treehouse to pick up some beer, then crashed overnight in Manchester followed by playing this course. It was definitely a lot of fun. And obviously that 8th hole is a blast.

Anyone ever play Hop Brook in Naugatuck? I live right around the corner and am going to play it next week. I'm not expecting anything incredible, since it's town run, but hopefully it isn't terrible.

Reaction Score
Have a tee time for Crestbroiok Saturday. I’ve heard pretty good things. Any feedback?

Crestbrook in Watertown I assume? I haven’t played it in 20 years I’m sure but it was a good track back then. Built on a hill some of it horizontal like, lots of tough lies ball above, ball below. But fairly long so tee game a must but again, it’s been a long time. Always in nice shape also.

Let us know......hit’em good!

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
View attachment 55975
16th at Wintonbury today. Hublein Tower is on the hill. We walked via a GOLFNOW special. The course is in excellent shape unlike my game.

Played wintonbury for the first time this year. Loved it, a lot of very interesting holes and a few elevated greens with runoff potential. I’d recommend the combo tee selection as I felt the front most tees were a little short.

Even though I’d recommend it 10/10 times I found it pretty peculiar to see a course that only allows carts on the fairway and doesn’t let you drive on the rough

Reaction Score
View attachment 55975
16th at Wintonbury today. Hublein Tower is on the hill. We walked via a GOLFNOW special. The course is in excellent shape unlike my game.
This is when I game went downhill playing here. What a windy and challenging course. Excellent condition and fun but man it can get ya.

Reaction Score
Short Beach, right? Spent lots of time there in middle and high school. One time years ago I was there with my dad and cousin, who was a fairly new golfer. The 8th or 9th hole is a par 3 that goes over a small pond, and there is a street with houses off to the left. My cousin hooked his iron severely and cleared the netting, and ended up hitting a house with wood shingles dead on. Didn't do any damage luckily, but you could probably hear the noise it made a mile away.

Growing up I played a lot at Short Beach, the Orchards in Milford, Sleeping Giant, and there was a municipal course in Hamden that was a dump...Meadowbrook, I think? There was a par 5 on that course that I birdied a few times, was dead straight and downhill. In the middle of summer I hit a few drives that were probably close to 300 yards because of the roll.

The last couple of years my father and I have taken a trip up to Treehouse to pick up some beer, then crashed overnight in Manchester followed by playing this course. It was definitely a lot of fun. And obviously that 8th hole is a blast.

Anyone ever play Hop Brook in Naugatuck? I live right around the corner and am going to play it next week. I'm not expecting anything incredible, since it's town run, but hopefully it isn't terrible.

I think you're right on Meadowbrook in Hamden. Also had a par 3 right on the main road which was like Whitney or Dixwell? That was a dump. Sleeping Giant was kind of fun although needed a hard hat for a few of the holes, or all. Also Laurel View in Hamden was a decent track back in the day but heard it's gone to hell.

Sleeping Giant also had a nice bar with some good nightlife back in the day as well. I believe a Mexican place who's name escapes me, but on certain nights it was a talented place to visit.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think you're right on Meadowbrook in Hamden. Also had a par 3 right on the main road which was like Whitney or Dixwell? That was a dump. Sleeping Giant was kind of fun although needed a hard hat for a few of the holes, or all. Also Laurel View in Hamden was a decent track back in the day but heard it's gone to hell.

Sleeping Giant also had a nice bar with some good nightlife back in the day as well. I believe a Mexican place who's name escapes me, but on certain nights it was a talented place to visit.

Aunt Chilada's. I haven't spent much time there since most of my golfing at Sleeping Giant was done when I was in middle/high school.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Laurelview in Hamden has come back from the dead? A shame what happened to a fairly interesting course.

Reaction Score
Aunt Chilada's. I haven't spent much time there since most of my golfing at Sleeping Giant was done when I was in middle/high school.

Yep a later name but also remember WILFREDS way back in my day as I am probably a bit older than you,

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I played there a few times when I lived in Hamden. Kept pretty well. A couple of holes have two tee boxes so if you play 18 you can vary the 9s a little. Played there last maybe 4 years ago. Aunt Chiladas is ok, decent food but not really authentic Mexican. Small bar, patio seating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom