OT: Golf courses | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

Reaction Score
Definitely a hooker.

I tried the chrome soft a few times and the soccer ball pattern gave me headaches. I'm not even a big fan of alignment marks on my ball.

That's one of the reasons I like the regular Q Star better than the Q Star Tour. The Tour has a black stripe on it. I may go back to the Q Star Tour because the regular Q Stars do tend to scuff more easily than I like.

I don't like spending energy lining up my ball for the putt based on a stripe or mark. I get my line and find a spot about 6" in front of ball that I want the ball to go over to get my putt on line.

Heading out in about an hour for an afternoon skins game with a bunch of sharks. Fun time.
I only use that line on my tee shots. I can't be bothered trying to squat down and line up putts with the line. I can't squat down and get back up easily anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm a line guy but love the stuff on the Callaway balls doesn't bother me at all actually helps me concentrate more. Without those I have my black lines if the ball doesn't already have something. On the tee the same thing I line up the "Chrome Soft" line at the driving target.

Reaction Score
Definitely a hooker.

I tried the chrome soft a few times and the soccer ball pattern gave me headaches. I'm not even a big fan of alignment marks on my ball.

That's one of the reasons I like the regular Q Star better than the Q Star Tour. The Tour has a black stripe on it. I may go back to the Q Star Tour because the regular Q Stars do tend to scuff more easily than I like.

I don't like spending energy lining up my ball for the putt based on a stripe or mark. I get my line and find a spot about 6" in front of ball that I want the ball to go over to get my putt on line.

Heading out in about an hour for an afternoon skins game with a bunch of sharks. Fun time.

Spear some shark meat today Chin, rip it up!

Reaction Score
Congrats on breaking 100. Breaking 90 might be easier now that you're doing drills. Breaking 80... I've been playing for years and have shot under-40 nines but could never put together a sub 80 18 holes. Then again, I'm an idiot when it comes to course management...
Thanks, my goal for this year is to break 90 (which was supposed to go along with actually taking some lessons, which is up in the air now). I shot a 44 on the back 9 after some bad decisions on the front 9 so I know I have it in me, though adding some power back (sacrificed a lot for consistency) would help. Honestly, if I can play in the mid to high 80s eventually, I’ll be quite happy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MacGregor 945W Cherry(retired)
MacGregor 945W Black (gamers)
Something metal out of a sons' bag
Hogan Apex steel shafts
Hogan Edge steel shafts
Wilson 8802
Bullseye
Anser

Maybe my favorite clubs ever, these looked great and were when I was playing my best. Just time to change went to the R7XD's but it was tough. Played them for about 10-12 years though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This thread is killing me. I sat out the summer of 2018 with a variety of pulled leg muscles due to a poorly considered decision to play over-55 softball after a 20 year layoff. Then I lost last year to stenosis and sciatica, aggravated from shoveling 5 yards of mulch. Now I've got a meniscus tear issue going on three months that's just not healing. Just started PT rehab and I still have to ice it every freaking day. So F all of you ;-)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spear some shark meat today Chin, rip it up!

Played like crap. I was two screwdrivers in before I knew where a ball was going.

Had a 5-6 hole stretch on back nine that loosely resembled golf. #13 was closest to pin. About 180 down wind, back left and green slopes left to right. Took an 8-iron and got it in jet stream. Finished about 5' and nailed the birdie. Unfortunately group in front had someone 4' from pin. No money pocketed.

OTOH the Osprey and its nest over driving range is always a site to see.
IMG_20200522_124906296~2.jpg

Reaction Score
Played like crap. I was two screwdrivers in before I knew where a ball was going.

Had a 5-6 hole stretch on back nine that loosely resembled golf. #13 was closest to pin. About 180 down wind, back left and green slopes left to right. Took an 8-iron and got it in jet stream. Finished about 5' and nailed the birdie. Unfortunately group in front had someone 4' from pin. No money pocketed.

OTOH the Osprey and its nest over driving range is always a site to see. View attachment 54623

Pretty sure I can fix you up. Drink 2 screwdrivers before you tee off.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Check his pic of the bag/clubs you'll know if he's a lefty. As far as the ball:

Callaway 2019 Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes Golf Balls product image

I often used to play the earliest tee time. So I switched to the matte red or orange balls. We were losing white balls even in the fairway on some holes. Sun right in your eyes at the horizon. At first it was just Volvik and those were solid. Now there are several matte colored balls from major manufacturers.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Just found out that Portland West has a grass range. I’ll be using that one! I may never hit off a mat again.

Reaction Score
Maybe my favorite clubs ever, these looked great and were when I was playing my best. Just time to change went to the R7XD's but it was tough. Played them for about 10-12 years though.

My neighbor gave me a set of her older forged Hogan irons when I was a kid. I had a really cheap Northwestern starter set plus a 2 wood at that time. The sweet spot was as big as the nail on my pinky finger. Learned to hit those and stayed with Hogan's ever since.
As you probably can tell, dont play much anymore. I also think I benefited alot using a 2 wood off the tee when I started playing.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Thanks, my goal for this year is to break 90 (which was supposed to go along with actually taking some lessons, which is up in the air now). I shot a 44 on the back 9 after some bad decisions on the front 9 so I know I have it in me, though adding some power back (sacrificed a lot for consistency) would help. Honestly, if I can play in the mid to high 80s eventually, I’ll be quite happy.
Go get it! I have the same goal/number. I started playing with buddies like 10 years ago and shot like 150 - never had a lesson. Just playing with my friends is making me better, as they help me considerably. One of them can shoot par! My goal this summer is to break 90. I'll get there for sure. Shot 93 a few weeks ago. I think if I upgraded my clubs I could shoot 89 tomorrow. I have some old sticks.

Reaction Score
Go get it! I have the same goal/number. I started playing with buddies like 10 years ago and shot like 150 - never had a lesson. Just playing with my friends is making me better, as they help me considerably. One of them can shoot par! My goal this summer is to break 90. I'll get there for sure. Shot 93 a few weeks ago. I think if I upgraded my clubs I could shoot 89 tomorrow. I have some old sticks.
Similarly never had an official lesson. Started going to the range with some buddies like 5 years ago but never played more than 2-3 rounds a year until last year. I need lessons at this point, but this COVID Situation is really making that tough.

Reaction Score
My neighbor gave me a set of her older forged Hogan irons when I was a kid. I had a really cheap Northwestern starter set plus a 2 wood at that time. The sweet spot was as big as the nail on my pinky finger. Learned to hit those and stayed with Hogan's ever since.
As you probably can tell, dont play much anymore. I also think I benefited alot using a 2 wood off the tee when I started playing.

2 wood love it. My buddy had one back in the day and he killed it and could hit it off the deck. (an actually wood). Also I'm pretty sure everyone started with a set of Northwesterns at one time right? LOL

Reaction Score
Similarly never had an official lesson. Started going to the range with some buddies like 5 years ago but never played more than 2-3 rounds a year until last year. I need lessons at this point, but this COVID Situation is really making that tough.

About 8 years ago I wanted to figure out how to get more length, more consistency and maybe extend my swing (besides the obvious of being skinnier lol). Went for my first lessons ever, bought a 3 lesson deal from a really good pro up here in WesMass. I will put it this way never went back to the 2nd and 3rd. After an hour of him thinking of changing a few things I was very uncomfortable with change. We only worked on a 7 iron for an hour and the big change was the take back target which seemed to me to be too far out of line although I know he is correct. I took a little from that lesson but didn't want any more thoughts because I wasn't ready to shoot a few 90's before getting it right, too much money and bragging on the line with my buddies so I am settling for who I am but wished I had done it earlier. I had played for 35 years or so as a baseball player turned golfer. I can shoot 70-85 not always knowing what swing will show up honestly but I'm good with that rather than begin a swing change at about 52-53 years of age it was too late at that time. But for those who want to improve and bring it to another level it IS the way to go. Patience is a must as they will ask you to do things which seem perplexing but will eventually lead you to being a better ball striker. Go for it and good luck you will get there!! Great game.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
About 8 years ago I wanted to figure out how to get more length, more consistency and maybe extend my swing (besides the obvious of being skinnier lol). Went for my first lessons ever, bought a 3 lesson deal from a really good pro up here in WesMass. I will put it this way never went back to the 2nd and 3rd. After an hour of him thinking of changing a few things I was very uncomfortable with change. We only worked on a 7 iron for an hour and the big change was the take back target which seemed to me to be too far out of line although I know he is correct. I took a little from that lesson but didn't want any more thoughts because I wasn't ready to shoot a few 90's before getting it right, too much money and bragging on the line with my buddies so I am settling for who I am but wished I had done it earlier. I had played for 35 years or so as a baseball player turned golfer. I can shoot 70-85 not always knowing what swing will show up honestly but I'm good with that rather than begin a swing change at about 52-53 years of age it was too late at that time. But for those who want to improve and bring it to another level it IS the way to go. Patience is a must as they will ask you to do things which seem perplexing but will eventually lead you to being a better ball striker. Go for it and good luck you will get there!! Great game.

I took lessons as a teen. Had some natural length off the tee with a slight draw. Still recall my dad telling me to hit away as there was a lawn mower in the fairway pretty far out, tee shot bounced off the roof. Driver, 3 hybrid, putter and sand wedge I’m decent. Suck with everything else. Kind of the opposite of the average duffer.

When I played semi-regularly in law school with my roommate, who was a college golfer I got to the mid-high 80s. But even that wasn’t every week. Now I play maybe 6-8 times a year. Would lessons help? I don’t get enough repetition in to create consistent swings. I average high 90s and if I play slightly more regularly I can drop that to low 90s. I‘m usually all over the place. Eagle, triple bogie, par, double bogie. I can drop my score if I play “smart golf”, but I love the challenge of making the impossible shot.

My 80 year old dad still sometimes shoots in the 70s. He won a course championship in his early 60s from the back tees against the younger guys. But when you park your cart in your garage and play 5 times a week, 52 weeks a year you dial that stuff in.

So for lessons, I’d say yes if you are new or your swing is highly flawed. Yes if you can play enough to develop the muscle memory and need the help. In your situation or mine, nah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom