OT: Golf courses

Reaction Score
TM Sim 10.5 Hzrdus Green 6.0
TM Sim Max 3w 15 Hzrdus Black 6.0
Titleist U500 3i Hzrdus Black 6.0
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW TT AMT White X100
TM Hi-Toe 50, 54, 60
Scotty Special Select NP2 33.5

Irons are on their 3rd season, the one thing I don’t change much. But will def need a new set next year it appears. Prob play 65ish rounds a year, which with a 2 and 7 yr old is pretty good (wife doesn’t agree tho).

Reaction Score
How about you NC_Uconn_Fan? and everyone else?

I'm a bit of a Mizuno homer.

Driver - Mizuno ST190 w/ Fujikura Atmos ts black
3w - Mizuno ST190 w/ Graphite Design tour ad di
5w - Mizuno JPX 900 w/ Fujikura speeder evolution 661
4-PW - Mizuno MP20 w/ dg 120 s300
52° - Mizuno S18
58° - Titleist Vokey SM5 K
62° - Titleist Vokey SM5 T
Putter - Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
20200520_191753_resized_1.jpg

Reaction Score
TM Sim 10.5 Hzrdus Green 6.0
TM Sim Max 3w 15 Hzrdus Black 6.0
Titleist U500 3i Hzrdus Black 6.0
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW TT AMT White X100
TM Hi-Toe 50, 54, 60
Scotty Special Select NP2 33.5

Irons are on their 3rd season, the one thing I don’t change much. But will def need a new set next year it appears. Prob play 65ish rounds a year, which with a 2 and 7 yr old is pretty good (wife doesn’t agree tho).

How are liking the SIM? I wish Mizuno made the JPX Tour line in left hand, always thought they looked sweet.

Reaction Score
If you're a big hitter looking for a challenge and love giant airplanes Westover in MA is another fun option (not sure why I know all these MA courses as I live in central CT) If you plan from the tips Westover is very very long but a solid track and typically in good shape.

Edit: The course is near some kind of flight testing armed forces site. I forget which branch. You will routinely see the largest planes ever flying very low overhead. Very cool (unless you're mid-putt)
Used to be Westover AFB... but I think it’s National Guard and commercialized now.

Reaction Score
I’m cheap... most of my clubs right now are pre-owned. I had been making my own, but had to see if technology found more yardage.

New TM M6 driver (12*)
Cert preowned M6 3w (15*)
Cert preowned M6 5w (18*)
Used TM Aeroburner HL 5w (21*)
New TM 4H (22*, w/senior flex)
Used TM Speedblade 5-GW
Used TM Rsi SW
New Odyssey Works #7 putter

Do my best for no gaps, but still hitting a lot of chokedown shots. Except for hybrid all are regular shafts. Irons are steel.

Need to make new graphite irons with spined shafts. Have new hybrids and woods too, but am liking the M6s.

They have been reasonable, but the irons are barely better than the ones I made. The new M6 is a gamechanger though. At least 20 yds further than my TM Aeroburner driver. FW woods appear to have that same touch. Only used once, but playing Friday and Monday so I should figure more out.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have about four dozen different clubs taking up space. IIRC, it breaks down to something like 12 woods, one hybrid, three putters, nine wedges and 22 irons. None are newer than 2003. The woods I typically play are ancient TMs from 1995. My driver's head is under 300cc and when I was playing regularly, I used to outhit younger players with bigger clubheads. I broke the 7 wood on that set a few years ago and miss it. That thing was as reliable as Roy McAvoy's 7-iron. I have two other drivers with heads in the 340-360cc range, but I just never fell in love. When I've played with newish major brand rental clubs, it just doesn't feel like golf to me. Not the feel, not the sound. My wedges are all over the place (seven different lofts) and the irons I typically play are ones I ordered from Golfsmith back in 2002 with stiff shafts. I used to mix and match depending on the course and season, but I haven't played regularly enough lately to worry about that stuff.

Rightly or wrongly, I've always been one to blame myself for stupid decisions or poor execution and not the clubs. And especially not wedges or putters.

If I get back into playing regularly I'll probably clean out the garage and get refitted to accommodate my gut and declining swing speed.

Reaction Score
How are liking the SIM? I wish Mizuno made the JPX Tour line in left hand, always thought they looked sweet.
Loving the SIM and switches to the Pro V1X Left Dash ball this year and have picked up some good yards off the tee. Doesn’t spin as much around the green as the TP5X I’ve played the last couple years.

can’t go wrong with Mizunos., played the MP33 for a few years in the early 2000s and probably my personal favorite iron I’ve played. Had MP14s prior. I picked up the JPX 900 Tours brand new for $450, changed the shafts and not I can’t take them out of the bag. Never tried their woods though.

Reaction Score
Loving the SIM and switches to the Pro V1X Left Dash ball this year and have picked up some good yards off the tee. Doesn’t spin as much around the green as the TP5X I’ve played the last couple years.

can’t go wrong with Mizunos., played the MP33 for a few years in the early 2000s and probably my personal favorite iron I’ve played. Had MP14s prior. I picked up the JPX 900 Tours brand new for $450, changed the shafts and not I can’t take them out of the bag. Never tried their woods though.
I've heard good things about the left dash V1x. This is my first go around with Mizuno woods, had been playing Callaway Epic and Rogue previously. Been playing Mizuno irons for years, MP32 and MP54.

Reaction Score
I have about four dozen different clubs taking up space. IIRC, it breaks down to something like 12 woods, one hybrid, three putters, nine wedges and 22 irons. None are newer than 2003. The woods I typically play are ancient TMs from 1995. My driver's head is under 300cc and when I was playing regularly, I used to outhit younger players with bigger clubheads. I broke the 7 wood on that set a few years ago and miss it. That thing was as reliable as Roy McAvoy's 7-iron. I have two other drivers with heads in the 340-360cc range, but I just never fell in love. When I've played with newish major brand rental clubs, it just doesn't feel like golf to me. Not the feel, not the sound. My wedges are all over the place (seven different lofts) and the irons I typically play are ones I ordered from Golfsmith back in 2002 with stiff shafts. I used to mix and match depending on the course and season, but I haven't played regularly enough lately to worry about that stuff.

Rightly or wrongly, I've always been one to blame myself for stupid decisions or poor execution and not the clubs. And especially not wedges or putters.

If I get back into playing regularly I'll probably clean out the garage and get refitted to accommodate my gut and declining swing speed.
It’s never how... or with what, but how many.

A retired Navy enlisted guy became the pro at Miramar (was Navy jet base from Top Gun). I had taken a series of lessons from him, and he was the best ball striker I’ve ever seen. When we started, he put his right hand into his back pocket, swung a 7-iron, hit it right on the 150 sign with about 5’ of draw. Said... this is how I want you to swing. I believed. My handicap went from 18 to 9 in about 10 months. Ball flight went from leaks, fades, and slices to that baby draw (only rarely snaphooking).

He showed up 1day at the other Navy course in San Diego, and ended up with me and 2 friends. He gave them an 18 hole lesson (and I tried to watch and listen).

Now the kicker... his clubs looked like he hit a few tag sales on the way to the course. He actually had multiples of some clubs. All different brands. He would only say he liked the ones he had, but I’m thinking he was looking for a money game before getting stuck with us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Taylor M6 irons 5-SW regular shafts, Black Taylor Milled LW 58 degrees, M6 Driver 10.5 stiff Fujikara Atmos Orange shaft, 2 Taylor M1 hybrids 19 & 25 degrees, my one whacked club the Moon Wood 22 degrees and the Taylor Ardmore Red putter center shaft. Haven't had a fairway wood in 10-12 years just can't find one that is consistent so I depend heavily on my wedge game on Par 5's to make birdies. I am still hunting actually have a Mizuno 5 wood which may make it's way in the bag has a good look.

How about you NC_Uconn_Fan? and everyone else?

I’ve got Taylor Made R7 irons A through 4. I cheaped out and stupidly got steel shafts. If I played more I’d upgrade. Calloway hybrids 3 and 4 and Calloway 3 wood. Added a Titlesist Vokey 54 degree sand wedge (favorite club, I need minimal bounce) and last year added a Szrixon Z 765 driver. I have a black 60 degree Bridgestone lob wedge I don’t usually carry. Odyssey White Ice putter that replaced a Roll Face. Loved that roll face but the shaft was short so I gave it to a friend.

I’ve been happy with the Szrixon driver. I didn’t get fitted but hit several on the monitor. I don’t think I can go away from the highly customizable Vokey wedges.

Reaction Score
I’ve got Taylor Made R7 irons A through 4. I cheaped out and stupidly got steel shafts. If I played more I’d upgrade. Calloway hybrids 3 and 4 and Calloway 3 wood. Added a Titlesist Vokey 54 degree sand wedge (favorite club, I need minimal bounce) and last year added a Szrixon Z 765 driver. I have a black 60 degree Bridgestone lob wedge I don’t usually carry. Odyssey White Ice putter that replaced a Roll Face. Loved that roll face but the shaft was short so I gave it to a friend.

I’ve been happy with the Szrixon driver. I didn’t get fitted but hit several on the monitor. I don’t think I can go away from the highly customizable Vokey wedges.
The Srixon driver gets good marks in Golf’s equipment ratings.
It’s also really easy to extend a shaft. With the right stuff, you can even keep the same grip.

Reaction Score

Had the T-M R7XD's a while back absolutely loved them. Then a go round with the Mizuno JP EZ's and I actually really liked them too. They were actually the straightest I've ever hit my irons but couldn't work them a ton and also lost a few yards, but again accurate as hell.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Taylor Made RBZ Stage 2 driver and 3-wood
Tour Edge HL3 18 degree 2-iron hybrid
Taylor Made RSi 4-AW.
Titleist Vokey 56 and 60
Odyssey White Steel #1 putter

Srixon Q-Star balls.

Driver is probably on last legs but I still like the 3-wood. Definitely prefer my driver and 3-wood to match up with shaft and grip so have to figure that out.

Vokey wedges are approaching ten years and they are just getting that beautiful coat of rust on the sweet spot to soften. Unfortunately shafts are getting specks of rust.
Irons are great right now. They have another 5 years.
Putter is right what I want. Not one to have 10 putters and mess around.
The Tour Edge HL3 is the ringer on my bag. I can go hi/low, left/right, off the tee or off the turf. No problem getting that 220-230 yards.

Golf balls had been a PITA for last few years when Titleist stopped making model I liked. The Bridgestone E12 were great and were the longest ball I think I've hit. Almost full club longer than I was used to hitting. But they had a weird dead spit in the 50-70 yard range and didn't seem to stop good on chips near the green.

I messed around with Q star and Q star tour. Regular Q star worked better. Really like the spin on it and the click sound it makes on putts.

IMG_20200521_191949439~2.jpg

Reaction Score
I’ll post my total hacker set (got into golf in earnest a year ago so pretty focused on game improvement at this point).

Cobra F8 Driver 9 degree
Cobra Fly-Z fairway wood (set at about 4-wood)
Cobra F7 3 and 4 hybrids
Cleveland Launcher CBX 5-PW
Cleveland CBX 52/56/60
Switch between a Ping Anser 2 and Odyssey Pro V-line depending on the greens.

On a side note, I played my first 18 without losing a ball and first round under 100 (95) after doing a ton of drills and practice over the winter. Pretty pumped about both considering I was playing about 103-110 last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Taylor Made RBZ Stage 2 driver and 3-wood
Tour Edge HL3 18 degree 2-iron hybrid
Taylor Made RSi 4-AW.
Titleist Vokey 56 and 60
Odyssey White Steel #1 putter

Srixon Q-Star balls.

Driver is probably on last legs but I still like the 3-wood. Definitely prefer my driver and 3-wood to match up with shaft and grip so have to figure that out.

Vokey wedges are approaching ten years and they are just getting that beautiful coat of rust on the sweet spot to soften. Unfortunately shafts are getting specks of rust.
Irons are great right now. They have another 5 years.
Putter is right what I want. Not one to have 10 putters and mess around.
The Tour Edge HL3 is the ringer on my bag. I can go hi/low, left/right, off the tee or off the turf. No problem getting that 220-230 yards.

Golf balls had been a PITA for last few years when Titleist stopped making model I liked. The Bridgestone E12 were great and were the longest ball I think I've hit. Almost full club longer than I was used to hitting. But they had a weird dead spit in the 50-70 yard range and didn't seem to stop good on chips near the green.

I messed around with Q star and Q star tour. Regular Q star worked better. Really like the spin on it and the click sound it makes on putts.

View attachment 54600
I had the opposite on the Q-Star balls... I'm using the Q-Star Tour ball most of the time. It's closer to the Z-Star in specs (cover material, #cores, etc). Mainly I found it helped stop chips faster than the Q-Star (and much faster than the Soft Feel, which I used before that).

ps. Are you a lefty? that would explain a lot.

Reaction Score
I had the opposite on the Q-Star balls... I'm using the Q-Star Tour ball most of the time. It's closer to the Z-Star in specs (cover material, #cores, etc). Mainly I found it helped stop chips faster than the Q-Star (and much faster than the Soft Feel, which I used before that).

Check his pic of the bag/clubs you'll know if he's a lefty. As far as the ball:

Callaway 2019 Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes Golf Balls product image

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On a side note, I played my first 18 without losing a ball and first round under 100 (95) after doing a ton of drills and practice over the winter. Pretty pumped about both considering I was playing about 103-110 last year.

Congrats on breaking 100. Breaking 90 might be easier now that you're doing drills. Breaking 80... I've been playing for years and have shot under-40 nines but could never put together a sub 80 18 holes. Then again, I'm an idiot when it comes to course management...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Check his pic of the bag/clubs you'll know if he's a lefty. As far as the ball:

Callaway 2019 Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes Golf Balls product image

Definitely a hooker.

I tried the chrome soft a few times and the soccer ball pattern gave me headaches. I'm not even a big fan of alignment marks on my ball.

That's one of the reasons I like the regular Q Star better than the Q Star Tour. The Tour has a black stripe on it. I may go back to the Q Star Tour because the regular Q Stars do tend to scuff more easily than I like.

I don't like spending energy lining up my ball for the putt based on a stripe or mark. I get my line and find a spot about 6" in front of ball that I want the ball to go over to get my putt on line.

Heading out in about an hour for an afternoon skins game with a bunch of sharks. Fun time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom