OT: Golf courses | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Tower Ridge is closed? I won't miss it:) Golf is certainly not as popular as it used to be.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Tower Ridge was a gradual decline. When I first started playing it had lots of members. Then it was just a cool course with a decent restaurant and a pool. Then it was just a course and a pool. Then 2 years ago it was just a dumpy course on Golf Now for $20. An absolute mess at that point. They aren’t alone. Many courses have fallen by the wayside.

Reaction Score
You guys are making me sad. I grew up in Morris, CT and moved away in 2004 to be close to a family member who was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. I played Stonybrook a bunch, but I absolutely loved Lyman Orchards. I played Crestbrook in Watertown a lot, but wad disappointed when a friend told me he played there and it was in horrible shape.
I'm hoping to get out this summer. The part that sucks for me is I had free golf for most of the last 15 years here, but the golf course was run into the ground by its new owner. It went under a little over a year ago.

Did you go to Wamogo? My brother graduated from there.We had moved from Bantam to Deer Island. I’m friends with Chuckie. We played ball together in the Litchfield Over 30 league. Was a member at Stonybrook many years ago before Bob Ferrarotti built Fairview.

Reaction Score
I love the 10th and 11th. Not too many holes around with a railroad running through it.
CC of Greenfield in Mass has train tracks that run right thru the course dividing the 10th and 14th holes and marking OB left on each hole. I’ve played in the 4-ball there for nearly 20 years there and the first time I played in it we happened to get matched up against Greenfield members. We get to the 14th tee where they have honors and our opponent was waiting literally like 4 full minutes before teeing off and being young and naive we figured they were just icing us. Sure enough about a mile long train comes and our opponent (who battled a hook all day) finally lets it fly. Pretty crafty knowing the train schedule and using it as a safety net against going OB. Local knowledge 101.

Anyways the tracks are no longer active but if anyone gets the chance to play there you’d be hard pressed to find nicer and faster greens.

Reaction Score
Walked the 18 at the Player Course at Lyman. That’ll be the last time I do that. I’ve been walking and carrying to try to get some exercise. With the change in elevation and the distance between some holes, it took some of the fun out of it. I’m in pretty good shape for early 60’s but I took a nap when I got home. Lol

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Looking for suggestions for public golf courses to take my crew. We live in the Northwest Corner and have played Lyman Orchards, Tunxis, Simsbury Farms, Fairview, Stonybrook, Candlewood, Blue Fox Run, Greenwood’s, Canaan, Hotchkiss and are scheduled to play Wintonbury Hills next weekend. Always lookiing for new fun places to play.

Based solely on design quality and aesthetics, and ignoring cost, driving distance, current course conditions, COVID specific changes, asshat management, etc., here's your definitive Top 13 CT publics:
  1. Lake of Isles - North
  2. Wintonbury Hills
  3. Great River
  4. Keney
  5. Shennecosset
  6. Fox Hopyard
  7. Oxford Greens
  8. Woodbridge
  9. Timberlin
  10. Fairview Farm
  11. Manchester
  12. Richter Park
  13. Simsbury Farms

Reaction Score
Tower Ridge was a gradual decline. When I first started playing it had lots of members. Then it was just a cool course with a decent restaurant and a pool. Then it was just a course and a pool. Then 2 years ago it was just a dumpy course on Golf Now for $20. An absolute mess at that point. They aren’t alone. Many courses have fallen by the wayside.
It is very sad about Tower Ridge. It has a great layout with many challenging holes although a walk these days on its hills would do me in.

Reaction Score
Recommend Cedar Knob in Somers. Beautiful course. Feels like you're playing in Vermont.

By "feels like you're playing vermont" you mean they tell you you can't play in the state unless you've been living there?

I don't feel badly for their 7 inches of snow. If I can't go to Vermont and play, no one should be able to play!!

Reaction Score
By "feels like you're playing vermont" you mean they tell you you can't play in the state unless you've been living there?

I don't feel badly for their 7 inches of snow. If I can't go to Vermont and play, no one should be able to play!!

I live in Pawcatuck. Live close by to some nice courses over in RI We are not allowed to play there. Played at Pequot and was paired up with a guy from Westerly. He was playing in CT because RI doesn't allow carts. It was nice for him to have a choice.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They evidently still have the 14 day quarantine. I don’t know why. So you could go, stay 14 days and then play. Courses opened May 5th I think. I’m looking forward to playing the fun but not impressive nine hole (White River) in Rochester this summer. I’m itching to finally play Neshobe. https://neshobe.com/

Reaction Score
They evidently still have the 14 day quarantine. I don’t know why. So you could go, stay 14 days and then play. Courses opened May 5th I think. I’m looking forward to playing the fun but not impressive nine hole (White River) in Rochester this summer. I’m itching to finally play Neshobe. Neshobe Golf Club - Brandon, Vermont

You are correct, I could. I just find it absurd that I've been keeping to myself for 8 weeks, and somehow if I cross an imaginary line I need to keep to myself for 2 more.

See -- I don't mind whining about how the restrictions effect me personally. I just don't expect government to really be able to deal with how restrictions effect uniquely situated individuals while dealing with this level of an emergency≥

Reaction Score
Did you go to Wamogo? My brother graduated from there.We had moved from Bantam to Deer Island. I’m friends with Chuckie. We played ball together in the Litchfield Over 30 league. Was a member at Stonybrook many years ago before Bob Ferrarotti built Fairview.
Graduated in 93. I wasn't a member, but we played Stonybrook monthly and Crestbrook often. My friend's uncle was a starter there. I also played Eastwood, Canaan Valley, Lymon Orchards, and a few others.
I played b-ball with Chuck in a few open gyms at James Morris School. Once I felt bad because I whipped a hard no look pass and beaned him right smack square in the face. He just was always so nice. He said it was his fault for not having his hands up.

Reaction Score
You guys are making me sad. I grew up in Morris, CT and moved away in 2004 to be close to a family member who was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. I played Stonybrook a bunch, but I absolutely loved Lyman Orchards. I played Crestbrook in Watertown a lot, but wad disappointed when a friend told me he played there and it was in horrible shape.
I'm hoping to get out this summer. The part that sucks for me is I had free golf for most of the last 15 years here, but the golf course was run into the ground by its new owner. It went under a little over a year ago.
Used to be in work league at Stonybrook for many years. Both pre and post changes. It could be brutal for such a short course. Also in the Lyman mens club for a few years (Jones course only then). Loved that course. Haven't been to Crestbrook in years, but it used to be on the fall beer golf rotation.

Reaction Score
Walked the 18 at the Player Course at Lyman. That’ll be the last time I do that. I’ve been walking and carrying to try to get some exercise. With the change in elevation and the distance between some holes, it took some of the fun out of it. I’m in pretty good shape for early 60’s but I took a nap when I got home. Lol
Not a fun walk course.

Reaction Score
Based solely on design quality and aesthetics, and ignoring cost, driving distance, current course conditions, COVID specific changes, asshat management, etc., here's your definitive Top 13 CT publics:
  1. Lake of Isles - North
  2. Wintonbury Hills
  3. Great River
  4. Keney
  5. Shennecosset
  6. Fox Hopyard
  7. Oxford Greens
  8. Woodbridge
  9. Timberlin
  10. Fairview Farm
  11. Manchester
  12. Richter Park
  13. Simsbury Farms
Played all but #11 and #12, but #12 has been on my bucket list for almost 40 years. Each year it feels further out of my reach...
Should include Lyman courses, and both courses in Portland (Quarry Ridge and Portland), and the Tallwood and Blackledge courses too.

Reaction Score
CC of Greenfield in Mass has train tracks that run right thru the course dividing the 10th and 14th holes and marking OB left on each hole. I’ve played in the 4-ball there for nearly 20 years there and the first time I played in it we happened to get matched up against Greenfield members. We get to the 14th tee where they have honors and our opponent was waiting literally like 4 full minutes before teeing off and being young and naive we figured they were just icing us. Sure enough about a mile long train comes and our opponent (who battled a hook all day) finally lets it fly. Pretty crafty knowing the train schedule and using it as a safety net against going OB. Local knowledge 101.

Anyways the tracks are no longer active but if anyone gets the chance to play there you’d be hard pressed to find nicer and faster greens.

Greenfield CC a fun track played it a lol. Bucky OBrien was the pro a long time and was good friends with a bunch of guys I played with at Edgewood in Southwick where I was a member for 25 years. Bucky was the pro in the 70s there too.

Played in a 2man scramble 3 years ago at Greenfield and got lucky. 1st hole, we were paired with 2 past champs there, and my buddy piped on down the middle on top of the hilll. He threw a 9 in to about 15 feet then I hit a wedge and it was a dart knew I’d get it closer than him when it left the club. Well bang it went in knew at that point we had a skin. Little did we know it was the only one at the end lol nice pay day came in 3rd too. Over 1500 cash and some pro shop credit. Did I tell you I live CC Greenfield?

You played 20 years up there remember Mike Slyne, Rick Leal, KC Finley?

Speaking of cash scrambles did you ever play in those fall 3 man scrambles at that 9 hole course on the Greenfield South Deerfield line Beaver Meadow or something?? Those were fun.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that wasn't there in the early 70s... when I was stationed at the Sub Base. Used to play it a few times a year. Made my first birdie there.
Did the base course get alot of play?

Reaction Score
Did the base course get alot of play?
Not a huge amount from what I saw. It was on the opposite side of the base from where my barracks and workplace was. Since I got out around 1pm often, I’d play it now and then. Hit a lot of shots into the admiral’s yard. Got too expensive as I never went to look for those golf balls. It was a really short course, and lots of OB.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Played all but #11 and #12, but #12 has been on my bucket list for almost 40 years. Each year it feels further out of my reach...
Should include Lyman courses, and both courses in Portland (Quarry Ridge and Portland), and the Tallwood and Blackledge courses too.

Get yourself to Richter, @uconnfan68 I've been playing that course my whole life and there is no shame in having it kick your ass. I've pulled out of that parking lot 100's of times after playing horrible and never once did I not have a great day.

If you're worried about not being able keep up with the pace, the staff at Richter is top notch and I'm pretty confident they will find a way to let you enjoy a round at your own tempo. Or, PM me and you play with me and my buddies and the 4 of us cross #12 off that list of yours together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Get yourself to Richter, @uconnfan68 I've been playing that course my whole life and there is no shame in having it kick your ass. I've pulled out of that parking lot 100's of times after playing horrible and never once did I not have a great day.

If you're worried about not being able keep up with the pace, the staff at Richter is top notch and I'm pretty confident they will find a way to let you enjoy a round at your own tempo. Or, PM me and you play with me and my buddies and the 4 of us cross #12 off that list of yours together.
I may take you up on that offer. Let me see how I’m doing first... hit a bucket in early March before the lockdown. The mens club been playing weekly at Simsbury Farms, but I just haven’t put myself out there yet. Hoping to play this weekend.

Reaction Score
BELONG AT SIMSBURY FARMS SENIOR MEMBER. HAD KNEE REPLACEMENT NOW COVID SO I WON't BE GETTING OUT ANY TIME SOON.
CRAZY IF YOUR OVER 80 AND PLAY.
MOST CHALLANGING AND BEST MAINTAINED COURSE AROUND.
In the mens club there the past few years. The course has improved every year.
Best wishes for a full recovery with covid and your knee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom