OT: Golf courses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Skunkamaug. Played it once in a fundraiser, have to say I hope they take good care of the students. LOL but it's been a while.

Blue Fox? Played it last week fun tracks as there is 27 holes but the tee boxes are a mess for now. I've been hearing for 2 years they sold part of the course but it never happens, although maintenance wise they act like it's eventually closing. Not awful by any stretch just not as nice as it used to be or can be. We still play it.
Will it eventually fall along with Tower Ridge?

Reaction Score
I've played like 25 rounds since covid hit. Mostly at Stanley (New Britain) and Goodwin (Hartford), but I tried Wintonbury Hills (Bloomfield) the other day, as well as a few others. Places to play that I would recommend:

- Gillette Ridge (also in Bloomfield)
- Keeney Park (Hartford), which is a step up from Goodie
- Fox Hopyard (East Haddam) - worth the drive and price
- Ledges (S. Hadley) - now that Mass is opening up
- Shinnecossett (Groton) - links course on the beach in CT, yup! Saved the best for last IMO
**Shinnegusta

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Shennecossett too. Don't get up that way often but my buddy owns a house next to the 17th green and there's not many better views of a course than from his deck.

View attachment 54103
Yeah, that wasn't there in the early 70s... when I was stationed at the Sub Base. Used to play it a few times a year. Made my first birdie there.

Reaction Score
My first (and only) eagle came at the Skunk. On the 4th hole. Second shot, bent (sliced) one around the trap that guards the front of the green. And then rolled in the four foot putt.
Long live the Skunk!

Reaction Score
The pins are back in at Shenny and I am glad people seem to enjoy it but its not a links course anymore.

Reaction Score
I've played like 25 rounds since covid hit. Mostly at Stanley (New Britain) and Goodwin (Hartford), but I tried Wintonbury Hills (Bloomfield) the other day, as well as a few others. Places to play that I would recommend:

- Gillette Ridge (also in Bloomfield)
- Keeney Park (Hartford), which is a step up from Goodie
- Fox Hopyard (East Haddam) - worth the drive and price
- Ledges (S. Hadley) - now that Mass is opening up
- Shinnecossett (Groton) - links course on the beach in CT, yup! Saved the best for last IMO
Fox Hopyard is only open to members at this time.

Reaction Score
Ridgefield is well worth the drive. They are currently limiting it to two people per tee time though.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
How's Blue Fox Run? It's always on the Golf Now app and I've almost played it a few times. Worth a round?

I enjoyed Wintonbury. It was fair for $52. Played it last week on a gorgeous day - scenery was very picturesque and course was in good shape despite being a little soggy.
Played Blue Fox last year for first and last time. Was in terrible condition. I think they're trying to put condos on it.

Reaction Score
How's Blue Fox Run? It's always on the Golf Now app and I've almost played it a few times. Worth a round?

I enjoyed Wintonbury. It was fair for $52. Played it last week on a gorgeous day - scenery was very picturesque and course was in good shape despite being a little soggy.
Just played Blue Fox a couple of weeks ago. It too was soggy. I hadn’t played it in 30 years and was somewhat shocked how it has deteriorated. Some tees and some fairways were not as I had remembered.

Reaction Score
Played Blue Fox last year for first and last time. Was in terrible condition. I think they're trying to put condos on it.
The residents are up in arms about more development there but it is just a matter of time. Just like Pine Valley in Southington, the developers always wins out.

Reaction Score
You must try Pequabuck on Bristol / Plymouth line. Very challenging and in great shape. If you do play, let me know if you have ever played a 10th and 11th hole as challenging and picturesque. In fact the whole back 9 is a bear.
You may want to get tee-times, the place has been packed.
I love the 10th and 11th. Not too many holes around with a railroad running through it.

Reaction Score
Played Richter last summer and it was in great shape. I really liked Simsbury Farms, it like Richter, was well maintained for a municipal course. Anyone play Crestbrook lately?

Reaction Score
You guys are making me sad. I grew up in Morris, CT and moved away in 2004 to be close to a family member who was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. I played Stonybrook a bunch, but I absolutely loved Lyman Orchards. I played Crestbrook in Watertown a lot, but wad disappointed when a friend told me he played there and it was in horrible shape.
I'm hoping to get out this summer. The part that sucks for me is I had free golf for most of the last 15 years here, but the golf course was run into the ground by its new owner. It went under a little over a year ago.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The residents are up in arms about more development there but it is just a matter of time. Just like Pine Valley in Southington, the developers always wins out.
Not so sure about this one. The "Save Nod Road" movement is pretty strong. Developers have been stymied thus far. And covid just put a stop to all spending projects. That proposed development may be done for good.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm considering Smith Richardson (Fairfield) this week...anyone ever play it? A buddy says it's the nicest public in CT.

Reaction Score
I played Crestbrook in Watertown a lot, but wad disappointed when a friend told me he played there and it was in horrible shape.
I'm hoping to get out this summer.

Oh no, Really?? What happened to Crestbrook? That course was about 10 min from my house. Played there all the time in the late 90's early 00's. Sucks to hear.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Ridgefield is well worth the drive. They are currently limiting it to two people per tee time though.

I live a mile from Ridgefield and 5 miles from Richter. Tough tracks but beautiful mountain settings at both.

Reaction Score
Oh no, Really?? What happened to Crestbrook? That course was about 10 min from my house. Played there all the time in the late 90's early 00's. Sucks to hear.
He did say it was after some storms and heavy rain. They've had problems with rain and washout in the past. I'm hoping that's it, but I also heard that the town cut down on the budget there. Maybe it's back, but I'm not sure.
I like being up top on the hills and looking down at the valley there. The same with Stonybrook. It's a beautiful view especially in the fall.

Reaction Score
I'm considering Smith Richardson (Fairfield) this week...anyone ever play it? A buddy says it's the nicest public in CT.

I don't think it's open yet. They redid the clubhouse over the winter and haven't removed all the construction yet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom