OT: Golf courses | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

Reaction Score
Looking for suggestions for public golf courses to take my crew. We live in the Northwest Corner and have played Lyman Orchards, Tunxis, Simsbury Farms, Fairview, Stonybrook, Candlewood, Blue Fox Run, Greenwood’s, Canaan, Hotchkiss and are scheduled to play Wintonbury Hills next weekend. Always lookiing for new fun places to play.

Reaction Score
Looking for suggestions for public golf courses to take my crew. We live in the Northwest Corner and have played Lyman Orchards, Tunxis, Simsbury Farms, Fairview, Stonybrook, Candlewood, Blue Fox Run, Greenwood’s, Canaan, Hotchkiss and are scheduled to play Wintonbury Hills next weekend. Always lookiing for new fun places to play.

Add Topstone in South Windsor as they are in tremendous shape and have this covid situation down pat. Just need to call early they are packed as of late although the Mass openings will help a little. But probably not fully until carts are allowed in MA.. Wintonbury is excellent a just a couple miles away is Gillette Ridge which you need to put on the list also.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I've played like 25 rounds since covid hit. Mostly at Stanley (New Britain) and Goodwin (Hartford), but I tried Wintonbury Hills (Bloomfield) the other day, as well as a few others. Places to play that I would recommend:

- Gillette Ridge (also in Bloomfield)
- Keeney Park (Hartford), which is a step up from Goodie
- Fox Hopyard (East Haddam) - worth the drive and price
- Ledges (S. Hadley) - now that Mass is opening up
- Shinnecossett (Groton) - links course on the beach in CT, yup! Saved the best for last IMO

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We are playing at Southington CC next week, my first round of the year. Traditions in Wallingford is ok. Sadly, one of my favorite courses, Pine Valley in Southington is gone for real estate development.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I've played like 25 rounds since covid hit. Mostly at Stanley (New Britain) and Goodwin (Hartford), but I tried Wintonbury Hills (Bloomfield) the other day, as well as a few others. Places to play that I would recommend:

- Gillette Ridge (also in Bloomfield)
- Keeney Park (Hartford), which is a step up from Goodie
- Fox Hopyard (East Haddam) - worth the drive and price
- Ledges (S. Hadley) - now that Mass is opening up
- Shinnecossett (Groton) - links course on the beach in CT, yup! Saved the best for last IMO

I'm a big fan of Shennecossett too. Don't get up that way often but my buddy owns a house next to the 17th green and there's not many better views of a course than from his deck.

1589038231485.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You must try Pequabuck on Bristol / Plymouth line. Very challenging and in great shape. If you do play, let me know if you have ever played a 10th and 11th hole as challenging and picturesque. In fact the whole back 9 is a bear.
You may want to get tee-times, the place has been packed.

Reaction Score
The last time I played, the “flag” on the first hole was a broken shovel handle. Miss it dearly
I first played it as a student a UConn. It was a nine hole course and it turned at the clubhouse after six.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm born and raised in Torrington. My dad had a crew he played with up at Greenwoods. They were tight with the Staszowski brothers. Bobby Gage, who had a cup of coffee on the PGA tour was from Greenwoods. He's a few years younger than me and has been a great golfer since he was 10. When I go back to Torrington for a few days of golf we always play Fairview on Friday and Topstone on Sunday so I can head straight to Bradley. Fyi, Topstone is an hour and 10 minutes from Torrington so give yourself enough time to get there. We've been doing this golf trip for 20+years and have played most of the courses on your list. I would second Pequabuck. For some reason we played Tower Ridge a lot. The holes up and down the ridge absolutely destroy me. We've moved our golf trip to Cape Cod the last few years. Lots of fun and everyone gets a little time away from their significant others but the golf course choices are not as good. If Mass is open you can't go wrong with the Springfield area. @mauconnfan can answer all your questions about courses up that way.

Reaction Score
Loved Lyman Orchards. I played there once in the fall, tremendous. Try The Traditions in Wallingford. Great course.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Shennecossett too. Don't get up that way often but my buddy owns a house next to the 17th green and there's not many better views of a course than from his deck.

View attachment 54103
There is a small par 3 up the street from me in Stratford on the beach. The views can be spectacular also on a couple of holes.

Not worth a travel (because its all short holes good for March/April wedge practice) but it has its distractions:

1589046191236.png

Reaction Score
Shennecossett is worth playing if you've never played it. Tried to play there once a year when I lived in CT..probably been close to 20 years now since I last played it. Played one year in the fall, it was windy, cold and light drizzle, it was fantastic.

Reaction Score
Shenny is a real fun track, definitely try to get out there. Also, if you haven't played Keeney in a while it is so worth a visit. They did a great job redoing the course a few years back. The Skunk is also thriving, they take care of us students well over there.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm ignorant here...where's The Skunk? I'd like to play this BY favorite.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
How's Blue Fox Run? It's always on the Golf Now app and I've almost played it a few times. Worth a round?

I enjoyed Wintonbury. It was fair for $52. Played it last week on a gorgeous day - scenery was very picturesque and course was in good shape despite being a little soggy.

Reaction Score
Shenny is a real fun track, definitely try to get out there. Also, if you haven't played Keeney in a while it is so worth a visit. They did a great job redoing the course a few years back. The Skunk is also thriving, they take care of us students well over there.

Keeney has come a long way, it will test you too in many ways. Some decent length to some Par 4's and the greens are not easy to putt but are nice. Shenny is fun but really tough to get on a lot, especially late Fall early spring. When you won't get arrested everyone should take an extra few minutes into RI off 138 area some nice golf there. Meadowbrook is excellent as is Richmond then a couple nice priced tracks in Fenner Hill, Beaver River and Exeter are all solid courses with a nice rate.

Reaction Score
I'm ignorant here...where's The Skunk? I'd like to play this BY favorite.

Skunkamaug. Played it once in a fundraiser, have to say I hope they take good care of the students. LOL but it's been a while.

Blue Fox? Played it last week fun tracks as there is 27 holes but the tee boxes are a mess for now. I've been hearing for 2 years they sold part of the course but it never happens, although maintenance wise they act like it's eventually closing. Not awful by any stretch just not as nice as it used to be or can be. We still play it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom