OT: Golf courses | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

Reaction Score
I still like the Portland courses....Quarry Ridge is unique but fun. And the original Portland course (Portland Golf Course) right adjacent it is short but interesting layout. Executive golf isn't for me, but Portland West (right down the street) is well regarded for those that like the par 60 experience.

Reaction Score
In the mens club there the past few years. The course has improved every year.
Best wishes for a full recovery with covid and your knee.

An underrated course is Simsbury Farms. They have some real good golf holes there need to have your tree game in solid shape when you play there for sure. Haven't played there in a couple years but used to get there 2-3 times a year, it's fun.

Reaction Score
Skunkamaug. Played it once in a fundraiser, have to say I hope they take good care of the students. LOL but it's been a while.

Blue Fox? Played it last week fun tracks as there is 27 holes but the tee boxes are a mess for now. I've been hearing for 2 years they sold part of the course but it never happens, although maintenance wise they act like it's eventually closing. Not awful by any stretch just not as nice as it used to be or can be. We still play it.
Blue fox becomes unplayably dried out by July every year. Too bad.

Reaction Score
You must try Pequabuck on Bristol / Plymouth line. Very challenging and in great shape. If you do play, let me know if you have ever played a 10th and 11th hole as challenging and picturesque. In fact the whole back 9 is a bear.
You may want to get tee-times, the place has been packed.

I love that track. Have been playing there twice a week!

Reaction Score
An underrated course is Simsbury Farms. They have some real good golf holes there need to have your tree game in solid shape when you play there for sure. Haven't played there in a couple years but used to get there 2-3 times a year, it's fun.
Definitely a course for a right-to-left shot, which I don't have anymore, but I'm trying to find it again.

Reaction Score
Tower Ridge was doomed to fail. Started off as a private course and half the holes you had gunshots from the firing range ringing in your ears. Sounded like you were at Keney around dusk.

Membership dwindled and it went public but, truth be told, it's a hard track. My work golf league went there one season because they gave us a good price and we left after a year. You have a shaky day staying in the fairway and a 45-46 score turned into a 54-55 in a blink. It might sound weak, but the average once a month Joe wants to find his ball and hit it from the next fairway over. They don't want to play position golf.

Great porch and view post golf there though. Fun time after playing for our league that summer.

Reaction Score
Tower Ridge was doomed to fail. Started off as a private course and half the holes you had gunshots from the firing range ringing in your ears. Sounded like you were at Keney around dusk.

Membership dwindled and it went public but, truth be told, it's a hard track. My work golf league went there one season because they gave us a good price and we left after a year. You have a shaky day staying in the fairway and a 45-46 score turned into a 54-55 in a blink. It might sound weak, but the average once a month Joe wants to find his ball and hit it from the next fairway over. They don't want to play position golf.

Great porch and view post golf there though. Fun time after playing for our league that summer.
A great stretch of holes from 4-8. #5 is fantastic. Great view of the valley from that green, and 6th tee. Loved the Keney at dusk reference.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Sounded like you were at Keney around dusk.
Fake news. I've played Keney way more than you and I've never heard a gunshot. I also grew up playing Goodwin and still play there (more often than Keney). Oh, and whadddya ya know. I've never heard a gunshot there either. Weird. That's just the typical suburban/rural, ignorant and judgmental mindset you're displaying.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Definitely a course for a right-to-left shot, which I don't have anymore, but I'm trying to find it again.
Glad I know this. My off-the-tee game is purely left to right. I will now be negotiating for strokes against whoever I play here!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Playing Stanley tomorrow. I have to admit that walking the courses gives me a chance to unwind between shots and enjoy the moment.
Have fun! I love Stanley. Have played there about 6-7 times so far this season. When it's fully open they have it all for pretty fair price - a grass range, three 9-hole courses, GPS carts, chipping AND putting greens, and a decent after-golf restaurant. They also heat the bays at their driving range for winter hitting.

I too used to take carts. Since this pandemic I haven only walked and will probably never cart again unless it's 100 degrees out. I'm buying a Clicgear for sure.

Reaction Score
Glad I know this. My off-the-tee game is purely left to right. I will now be negotiating for strokes against whoever I play here!
If you hit it long enough, a little fade is fine. There is only 1 severe dogleg, but several medium/slight ones. Almost all are R->L. My problem is the lack of distance off the tee. There are a few par 4s out of reach in regulation. Tough to get old.

Reaction Score
Fake news. I've played Keney way more than you and I've never heard a gunshot. I also grew up playing Goodwin and still play there (more often than Keney). Oh, and whadddya ya know. I've never heard a gunshot there either. Weird. That's just the typical suburban/rural, ignorant and judgmental mindset you're displaying.

Wow. That's amazing that you know all that. Especially since I grew up in Hartford and got a Junior Golf Club membership every summer that allowed me to play 9 holes at Keney and Goodwin for $0.50. Every morning, my best friend's dad would drop us off at either spot and pick us up on his way home from work.

So how many times you think you've played either? Just out of curiousity. I've probably played both courses a total of maybe 600 times?

Oh, also wanted to add my Uncle ran Keney for maybe a 2 year stint. So I played there free then while in college.

Who's the ignorant one now?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Wow. That's amazing that you know all that. Especially since I grew up in Hartford and got a Junior Golf Club membership every summer that allowed me to play 9 holes at Keney and Goodwin for $0.50. Every morning, my best friend's dad would drop us off at either spot and pick us up on his way home from work.

So how many times you think you've played either? Just out of curiousity. I've probably played both courses a total of maybe 600 times?

Oh, also wanted to add my Uncle ran Keney for maybe a 2 year stint. So I played there free then while in college.

Who's the ignorant one now?

You are ignorant. My story is the same as yours, only I wouldn't exaggerate the gunshot sounds or talk down about the place I call home. Been playing both courses for like 25 years...never heard a gunshot. I lived on Adelaide Street in Hartford for three years as well...never heard one there either. The view that you articulated is greatly exaggerated.

I grew up in Wethersfield right by the Stop and Shop and would walk to Goodie almost everyday in the summer - the course was my babysitter. I'd play that flat nine multiple times a day as a kid, and then the South course when I grew up. I had the same Junior membership you did. Bill Sullivan gave me my first set of clubs. Later in life, my buddies and I used to close down the Oxbow. I still play both courses constantly. Played Goodie 4 times last week. Your're not the only local here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are ignorant. My story is the same as yours, only I wouldn't exaggerate the gunshot sounds or talk down about the place I call home. Been playing both courses for like 25 years...never heard a gunshot. I lived on Adelaide Street in Hartford for three years as well...never heard one there either. The view that you articulated is greatly exaggerated.

I grew up in Wethersfield right by the Stop and Shop and would walk to Goodie almost everyday in the summer - the course was my babysitter. I'd play that flat nine multiple times a day as a kid, and then the South course when I grew up. I had the same Junior membership you did. Bill Sullivan gave me my first set of clubs. I still play both courses constantly. Played Goodie 4 times last week.

Wow. You grew up near the mansions on Ridge Rd and didn't hear gunshots? Such a rough part of town.

How about this? You don't tell me what I should or shouldn't say or what I experienced living in Hartford. Adelaide St for 3 years isn't exactly "hard time".

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Wow. You grew up near the mansions on Ridge Rd and didn't hear gunshots? Such a rough part of town.

How about this? You don't tell me what I should or shouldn't say or what I experienced living in Hartford. Adelaide St for 3 years isn't exactly "hard time".
How about this? If you post something on a message board, don't act surprised when someone responds. Do you have a handicap/index? Maybe we should negotiate a money match? A team scramble? Me and Andre Dyson vs. Deepster and Nate Miles?

Reaction Score
Played Quarry Ridge last weekend although I play most of my rounds at Fox Hopyard. The layout of Quarry Ridge is pretty maddening, wasn't a fan of the drastic elevation changes and it's a borderline un-walkable track because of it. Shenny and Fox Hopyard are my personal favorites

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Might be impossible right now, but we should organize a BY golf outing someday.

Reaction Score
Try Oxford Greens in Oxford! It’s a challenging course and always in good shape. If you can play any CSGA one day tournaments do that also, easy way to get on some course that are private.

Reaction Score
Might be impossible right now, but we should organize a BY golf outing someday.

Eh. We had maybe 5 or 6 BYC's back in the day. First one was 1999, can't remember when the last one was. Various people have tried to resurrect it and there's been no real interest. And, it's not fun to organize. Getting commitments and collecting money from these lunkheads is no walk in the park. You're more than welcome to grab the torch and run with it. Just no Keney or Goodie. Blech.

Reaction Score

LOL. At Okemo in Vermont you hear the gun club on weekends. It's cute, as long as it doesn't start unexpectedly while you're in your putting stroke.

Reaction Score
Played Quarry Ridge last weekend although I play most of my rounds at Fox Hopyard. The layout of Quarry Ridge is pretty maddening, wasn't a fan of the drastic elevation changes and it's a borderline un-walkable track because of it. Shenny and Fox Hopyard are my personal favorites
The trick to Quarry is to aim for the cart paths. ;^)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom