OT: Golf courses | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
View attachment 55975
16th at Wintonbury today. Hublein Tower is on the hill. We walked via a GOLFNOW special. The course is in excellent shape unlike my game.
Played there once in my life when it as brand new. All is remember was they were doing cart paths only and you couldn’t see the fairway in some spots so spotting the ball was kind of a pain.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm playing 36 holes at Manchester CC in Vermont on Friday. Anyone every played that course? Playing Okemo on Saturday and always have a blast there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aunt Chiladas is ok, decent food but not really authentic Mexican.

I'm confident you could say that about 99% or more of Mexican restaurants in New England. And that's a conservative estimate.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm confident you could say that about 99% or more of Mexican restaurants in New England. And that's a conservative estimate.
Traveling to SoCal a lot, that’s for certain. But the best Mxican food I ever had in the US was at a real hole in the wall in a warehouse area of San Antonio about 4 years ago . We almost didn’t go in, but it had 5 stars on TripAdvisor. The name was something like Alfonso’s. Sparse furnishings and small, I felt good right away when we were the only non Tex-Mex there. An elderly man and his son ran it and they were anxious to please, visiting our table a lot and people at our neighboring table were making menu suggestions. . Amazing home made corn tortillas. I ordered some special taco and then made the mistake of also ordering chicken soup. It was in a bowl the size of a basketball, a whole chicken, whole potatoes. It was great but I couldn’t finish my taco, also great. And the kicker was the prices were virtually give away.

Reaction Score
Not much of a golfer but a buddy is inviting me next week. What’s the protocol in CT...mask or no mask?

Reaction Score
It's a great course in my opinion. It's now owned by Vail so I'm hoping they don't ruin it. They already shut down a local muni course up there called Tater Hill that they also bought. Okemo is well worth the trip.

I played up there twice two weeks ago. I'm worried about their plans for it long term, but it's hard to judge them this year when if you're from Metro NY you still can't get up there legally without taking a covid test. But the course itself looked and played perfectly normal (except that rains had been heavy and the ball wouldn't roll). I love the course because it's not at all long, but if you either don't know what you're doing or you're not playing well, you can score big.

Tater Hill was once upon a time my wife's cousin's potato farm. Literally no one knows what Vail is going to do with it shut down. There is no sign yet that they intend to sell it or develop it.

Reaction Score
I have played Okemo many times and it is a great course. The temperature in Vermont is pleasant and the humidity is low. Absolutely beautiful views of the ski slopes right across the way. I highly recommend.

Reaction Score
Playing Wiltwyck, a Robert Trent Jones course near Hudson, N.Y. tomorrow. Anyone ever play it?

Reaction Score
Tater Hill was once upon a time my wife's cousin's potato farm. Literally no one knows what Vail is going to do with it shut down. There is no sign yet that they intend to sell it or develop it.

Parents of a good friend of mine owned Tater Hill in the 70s....sorry to hear it closed

Reaction Score
Beautiful day yesterday in Florida. Humidity was low enough I didn't have to change out gloves once the whole round. Almost found a cloud in the horizon.

View attachment 55369
Which course? We played Legacy yesterday morning...rain on the first hole but nice the rest of the morning!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Played TPC River Highlands last week. I hit every fairway and still didn’t shoot my career low. The greens were super fast, protected all around, and the rough was ROUGH. Overall an enjoyable round though. Way more fun than Fox Hopyard. You gotta be insane to play that place twice. No fun at all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Which course? We played Legacy yesterday morning...rain on the first hole but nice the rest of the morning!
Legacy in Bradenton? If so, I was about 500 miles from there in northwest Florida.

Reaction Score
Not much of a golfer but a buddy is inviting me next week. What’s the protocol in CT...mask or no mask?
Mask in areas where you can’t socially distance... depending on where you play you may be able to get separate carts. If not they’ll have some kind of policy like not switching drivers and wearing the mask when in the cart together ...

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I played up there twice two weeks ago. I'm worried about their plans for it long term, but it's hard to judge them this year when if you're from Metro NY you still can't get up there legally without taking a covid test. But the course itself looked and played perfectly normal (except that rains had been heavy and the ball wouldn't roll). I love the course because it's not at all long, but if you either don't know what you're doing or you're not playing well, you can score big.

My buddy lives in Londonderry and all the good gossip comes out of Mike & Tammys Main Street Deli in the mornings. Local buzz is Vail didn't buy it to sell it, most definitely will be developed. What everyone is afraid of is it will be so exclusive that the locals can't get out when they want. Tater Hill wasn't the best maintained track but it was theirs and they got to enjoy it or walk on whenever they wanted.

Reaction Score
The Ranch in Southwick MA tomorrow great track always look forward to getting out there. A couple of picturesque par 5s downhill and some great Par 4s carved out in the upper terrain. If you haven’t played it get there. They’ve actually come down to a much more affordable $75 during the week used to be 90-100.

Has anyone played Rolling Meadows in Ellington lately? Playing there on Saturday they are a bit inconsistent condition wise although never awful, but a decent track and test. When it's in nice shape its good golf.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My buddy lives in Londonderry and all the good gossip comes out of Mike & Tammys Main Street Deli in the mornings. Local buzz is Vail didn't buy it to sell it, most definitely will be developed. What everyone is afraid of is it will be so exclusive that the locals can't get out when they want. Tater Hill wasn't the best maintained track but it was theirs and they got to enjoy it or walk on whenever they wanted.

I enjoyed playing Tater Hill once a year. Front 9 was mundane but back 9 was interesting. The only thing I heard that came from a good source was Vail never wanted Tater Hill but that it came with Okemo's other assets.

But we will see.

Reaction Score
I think you're right on Meadowbrook in Hamden. Also had a par 3 right on the main road which was like Whitney or Dixwell? That was a dump. Sleeping Giant was kind of fun although needed a hard hat for a few of the holes, or all. Also Laurel View in Hamden was a decent track back in the day but heard it's gone to hell.

Sleeping Giant also had a nice bar with some good nightlife back in the day as well. I believe a Mexican place who's name escapes me, but on certain nights it was a talented place to visit.

Back in the day it was H.L. Wilfreds , now it's Aunt Chiladas.

Reaction Score
Played TPC River Highlands last week. I hit every fairway and still didn’t shoot my career low. The greens were super fast, protected all around, and the rough was ROUGH. Overall an enjoyable round though. Way more fun than Fox Hopyard. You gotta be insane to play that place twice. No fun at all.
Played TPC once, about 2-3 weeks after the Travelers, and it was hard as a rock. Couldn’t hold any greens. With the recent rains, the rough can be brutal. Gives you an appreciation for what pros can do.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Played TPC once, about 2-3 weeks after the Travelers, and it was hard as a rock. Couldn’t hold any greens. With the recent rains, the rough can be brutal. Gives you an appreciation for what pros can do.
Totally. Have you ever played Fox Hopyard? I was expecting a similar experience at TPC, but The Hopyard was brutal. Unless you shoot par, I don't see how that place gets any return customers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom