Golf courses

-

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
fenwick, old saybrook, tho sometimes it helps to know, or be known, by someone there.

Its been a long time but I always considered Tallwood a better course than Blackledge.
That was when the Ovian brothers owned it. I heard the Twin Hills family bought it quite awhile ago. Use to see Gerry Brooks of Channel 3 there often. Things change.

XLCenterFan

Wethersfield, CT, NE
It’s so busy that the best tee time I could get was 1:30. Wife is pissed because I likely won’t be home for dinner and miss helping with bedtime for the 5 month old. Consider it my Father’s Day present.
1:30 ain't even that bad. Last weekend we tried to get out as a foursome in Southern CT. Everywhere we called told us the earliest we could play was like 5:00. When was the last time this happened?

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
1:30 ain't even that bad. Last weekend we tried to get out as foursome in Southern CT. Everywhere we called told us the earliest we could play was like 5:00. When was the last time this happened?
I’ve only really played for 5 or so years and it’s typically been this busy. Maybe more so this year slightly

Rico444

Strive for Five
There is a small par 3 up the street from me in Stratford on the beach. The views can be spectacular also on a couple of holes.

Not worth a travel (because its all short holes good for March/April wedge practice) but it has its distractions:

View attachment 54106
Short Beach, right? Spent lots of time there in middle and high school. One time years ago I was there with my dad and cousin, who was a fairly new golfer. The 8th or 9th hole is a par 3 that goes over a small pond, and there is a street with houses off to the left. My cousin hooked his iron severely and cleared the netting, and ended up hitting a house with wood shingles dead on. Didn't do any damage luckily, but you could probably hear the noise it made a mile away.

Growing up I played a lot at Short Beach, the Orchards in Milford, Sleeping Giant, and there was a municipal course in Hamden that was a dump...Meadowbrook, I think? There was a par 5 on that course that I birdied a few times, was dead straight and downhill. In the middle of summer I hit a few drives that were probably close to 300 yards because of the roll.

Played a 9 hole course in Glastonbury today - Minnechaug. Fun and challenging. It has a 120-yard island green par 3. The next hole is also a par 3, and it's a beast, with about 130 yards of water to carry. Played it twice to get in the 18.
The last couple of years my father and I have taken a trip up to Treehouse to pick up some beer, then crashed overnight in Manchester followed by playing this course. It was definitely a lot of fun. And obviously that 8th hole is a blast.

Anyone ever play Hop Brook in Naugatuck? I live right around the corner and am going to play it next week. I'm not expecting anything incredible, since it's town run, but hopefully it isn't terrible.

Have a tee time for Crestbroiok Saturday. I’ve heard pretty good things. Any feedback?
Crestbrook in Watertown I assume? I haven’t played it in 20 years I’m sure but it was a good track back then. Built on a hill some of it horizontal like, lots of tough lies ball above, ball below. But fairly long so tee game a must but again, it’s been a long time. Always in nice shape also.

Let us know......hit’em good!

mrl2016

better late than never
View attachment 55975
16th at Wintonbury today. Hublein Tower is on the hill. We walked via a GOLFNOW special. The course is in excellent shape unlike my game.
Played wintonbury for the first time this year. Loved it, a lot of very interesting holes and a few elevated greens with runoff potential. I’d recommend the combo tee selection as I felt the front most tees were a little short.

Even though I’d recommend it 10/10 times I found it pretty peculiar to see a course that only allows carts on the fairway and doesn’t let you drive on the rough