OT: Golf courses | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

Reaction Score
Very gimmicky. Tried too hard for "signature holes".

That said, I partied a ton in those condos back in the day.

In different condos after leaving Oscars lol...fun area back in the day.

Agree on the course way too gimmicky!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Couple more, Alling Memorial and Willimantic.
I played Alling last summer on the hottest day of the year. The temps plus the course beat me the heck up. Pizza in New Haven afterwards (in the A/C) never felt so good.

Reaction Score
Right now sometimes it's a real nice number for me but for the reason I am almost a 9 there are times it's not enough. All depends on the driver as of late 68. Just bought the M6 and have had some really good stuff but a little inconsistent. Almost threw the M3 back in but will give it another coupe of rounds because it has shown to add 5-10 years for my old butt which I need, when I stripe it though. I feel like it's less forgiving than the ol M3. All part of the game right, ou getting out much?
I had to get an M6 with my proshop credit and some cash after a terrible day last year. Added 20-25 yds immediately. Bought certified preowned M6 3w and 5w to see if they had the same magic.

Played Saturday for the first time all year. Mostly drove it well, hit the 3 and 5 very well (they fly too). Played ok for the first time, chipping a little off, but putting was worst in 50 years. Counted 45 putts using an old Ping Anser. Could never hit it hard enough. Back into the garage. Looking forward to playing again.

Reaction Score
I played Alling last summer on the hottest day of the year. The temps plus the course beat me the heck up. Pizza in New Haven (in the AC) afterwards never felt so good.
I loved Alling although it’s been years since I’ve been there. Right after the redo mid 2000s I think.

Reaction Score
I had to get an M6 with my proshop credit and some cash after a terrible day last year. Added 20-25 yds immediately. Bought certified preowned M6 3w and 5w to see if they had the same magic.

Played Saturday for the first time all year. Mostly drove it well, hit the 3 and 5 very well (they fly too). Played ok for the first time, chipping a little off, but putting was worst in 50 years. Counted 45 putts using an old Ping Anser. Could never hit it hard enough. Back into the garage. Looking forward to playing again.
45 putts?!? That thing would’ve been in a tree if it were me.

Reaction Score
Mau - This might be easier. Here is a list of all public golf courses in CT. Why don't you just put an X next to the ones you have played. There are 81 courses here. I'm setting your over/under at 50.5 courses.

Airways Golf Course
Birch Plain Golf Course
Black Birch Golf Course
Blackledge Country Club
Blue Fox Run Golf Course
Buena Vista Golf Course
Canaan Country Club
Candlewood Valley Country Club
Cedar Knob Golf Course
Cedar Ridge Golf Course
Chanticlair Golf Course
Crestbrook Park Golf Course
D. Fairchild Wheeler Golf Course
E. Gaynor Brennan Municipal Golf Course
East Hartford Golf Course
East Mountain Golf Course
Eastwood Country Club
Elmridge Golf Course
Fairview Farm Golf Course
Farmingbury Hills Country Club
Fenwick Golf Course
Fox Hopyard Golf Club
Fox Run at Copper Hill
Goodwin Golf Course
Goose Run Golf Course
Grassy Hill Country Club
Great River Golf Club
Guilford Lakes Golf Course
H. Smith Richardson Golf Course
Harrisville Golf Course
Hawk's Landing Country Club
Highland Greens Golf Course
Hop Brook Golf Course
Hotchkiss School Golf Course
Hunter Golf Club
Indian Springs Golf Club
Laurel View Country Club
Lyman Orchards Golf Club
Manchester Country Club
Miner Hills Family Golf
Minnechaug Golf Course
Norwich Golf Course
Oak Hills Park
Orange Hills Country Club
Pequot Golf Club
Pomperaug Golf Club
Portland Golf Club
Portland West Golf Course
Putnam Country Club
Quarry Ridge Golf Course
Quarry View Golf Course
Raceway Golf Club
Richter Park Golf Course
Ridgefield Golf Course
River Ridge Golf Course
Rolling Meadows Country Club
Roseland Golf Course
Shennecossett Golf Course
Short Beach Golf Course
Simsbury Farms Golf Course
Skungamaug River Golf Course
Sleeping Giant Country Club
Southington Country Club
Stanley Golf Course
Sterling Farms Golf Course
Stonybrook Golf Course
Sunset Hill Golf Club
Tallwood Country Club
Tashua Knolls Golf Course
The Orchards Golf Course
The Tradition Golf Club at Wallingford
Timberlin Golf Course
Topstone Golf Course
Tunxis Plantation Country Club
Twin Hills Country Club
Twin Lakes Golf Course
Vineyard Valley Golf Club
Western Hills Golf Course
Westwoods Golf Course
Whitney Farms Golf Club
Woodhaven Country Club
I did 31... er, 34 with new adds.

Reaction Score
45 putts?!? That thing would’ve been in a tree if it were me.
[QUOTE\]
Maybe if it happened a lot. Used a Bullseye for about 30 yrs, but started missing the short ones. Now I miss from everywhere with all of them. Don’t have the distance control feel anymore.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While I haven't golfed in CT in 20 years, looking over that list and mau's 58, I'm amused that I've actually played more courses he hasn't played (8) than those he had (4). Pretty much because almost all my CT golf was in Fairfield County. Not that those 8 are great shakes, but I think Sterling Farms and Richter Park are well worth the price of admission (well, maybe not Sterling Farms for non-Stamford residents).

Btw, both the Griffith Harris course in Greenwich and Longshore in Westport aren't on that list. I've played both and they're both public (or at least were).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@uconnfan68 Might want to try something big with high MOI. Completely change it up.

Maybe try a center shaft mallet. Get over it and see those nice lines in the mallets available now. Like the CS in my putter for that reason can look straight down and see the take back line.

Reaction Score
@uconnfan68 Might want to try something big with high MOI. Completely change it up.
Have about a dozen putters in the garage. Put the Odyssey Works #7 back in. I’ve made a bunch of them. Bought a bunch too. When I played a lot (stationed in San Diego, working midnight shift), I rarely 3-putted. Now I can’t squat to look look closer at how breaks go, and just not hitting it close anymore. We still finished 2nd gross in our flight (2-man best ball, gross and net) with my 10 extra putts. ;^)

Reaction Score
Maybe try a center shaft mallet. Get over it and see those nice lines in the mallets available now. Like the CS in my putter for that reason can look straight down and see the take back line.
Have one of those also... not a mallet though, but meant for a 38” putter on a 35-6” shaft... very heavy.

Reaction Score
Used to be Century Hills I think, 9 pain in the butt holes lol
32 for me. For two years the Cuno league played there trying to incorporate the employees from Vernon and Stafford Springs. Remember a Mickey Mouse shaped trap later in the round?
I could always move the ball pretty good. On the first hole I would use a 3 wood and send it over the trees only to have it bend back and land it in the fairway. People would be laughing, rolling on the ground. Won quite a few beers over that.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Playing Tallwood in Hebron this Sunday for the first time. Really looking forward to it. I have only played once in the past two years since getting shoulder surgery so it should be interesting. Not that I was any good prior to the surgery but I enjoy playing. Any tips on this course?

Reaction Score
Playing Tallwood in Hebron this Sunday for the first time. Really looking forward to it. I have only played once in the past two years since getting shoulder surgery so it should be interesting. Not that I was any good prior to the surgery but I enjoy playing. Any tips on this course?

Tallwood is a real nice track one of my fav’s. There’s some blind tee shots to the unknown but mostly it’s in front of you. I would do some on line homework to think how to play 2, 8, 11, 15 and 17 according to your game. Look up the scorecard or some pics there’s water to contend with on some of those. Have fun, always in good shape.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
If you're a big hitter looking for a challenge and love giant airplanes Westover in MA is another fun option (not sure why I know all these MA courses as I live in central CT) If you plan from the tips Westover is very very long but a solid track and typically in good shape.

Edit: The course is near some kind of flight testing armed forces site. I forget which branch. You will routinely see the largest planes ever flying very low overhead. Very cool (unless you're mid-putt)

Reaction Score
Ranch and Blackstone 2 excellent choices. I live about 10 minutes from The Ranch it’s solid. 9th and 16th crazy downhill par 5s but fun to throw your drives high up in the sky and watch where you land. 9 you can get home 16 not so much maybe a couple perfect bombs. But some great views for sure and always in real nice shape. Blackstone very similar in many ways with some fun dog legs and par 3s. Good local tracks in the MA area. Add Kettlebrook in Paxson MA to the list fun track out in the middle of nowhere.
Crumpin-Fox in Bernardston, MA. Just off I-91 near the Vermont border.

Reaction Score
Crumpin-Fox in Bernardston, MA. Just off I-91 near the Vermont border.

Crumps better than its sister Fox Hopyard. Bring your A game to Bernadston MA but it has great golf holes. What I like about it so much is the fact it’s rare on the course youbsee other players. Many of the holes carved out in their own areas of the woods and nature there. Good call 68

Reaction Score
Saw this on Groupon today for Crumpin-Fox
37C26BC2-42F1-47D6-98FF-D486EE7948C9.jpeg

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I bought a bunch of Cobra clubs on closeout sale a couple years back. The Cobra King Pro black forged steel irons PW-5 were only $200. How could you beat that deal? Found out later on when I was unwrapping them that the PW-7 are all muscle backs (blades) so maybe that is why they were so cheap.

I also got the Cobra Bio Cell+ driver, F6 3-4 wood, F6 3-4H iron, and F-Max 5H at the same closeout sale for another few hundred. A friend tossed me a couple Titleist 52 and 56 wedges this past fall when he decided he was getting new clubs. All of those replaced the Strata starter set my wife bought me when I first decided to pick up golf.

Still have not upgraded my putter.

Reaction Score
Taylor M6 irons 5-SW regular shafts, Black Taylor Milled LW 58 degrees, M6 Driver 10.5 stiff Fujikara Atmos Orange shaft, 2 Taylor M1 hybrids 19 & 25 degrees, my one whacked club the Moon Wood 22 degrees and the Taylor Ardmore Red putter center shaft. Haven't had a fairway wood in 10-12 years just can't find one that is consistent so I depend heavily on my wedge game on Par 5's to make birdies. I am still hunting actually have a Mizuno 5 wood which may make it's way in the bag has a good look.

How about you NC_Uconn_Fan? and everyone else?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom