Going to need coaches who know how to recruit talent.... | The Boneyard

Going to need coaches who know how to recruit talent....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching this game we definitely are going to need some coaches that know how to recruit talent and have players who want to play football.. Our O-line was pitiful giving up 7 sacks, even the cincy people thought so "Should be pointed out, UConn offensive line about as interested in blocking as Huskies QB is getting rid of the ball.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt that we have coaches who can recognize exceptional or even good talent.

The problem comes in selling UConn to that talent.

That has been the hard part from the very beginning.

Perhaps why the program has players with the description of "diamond in the rough", "under the radar", or with very few or no other offers (not even Div. 1aa, II, or III)

We don't need to look at much besides "why the most talented" don't want to come to UConn.

The current coaches at Alabama or LSU couldn't get the same athletes to commit to UConn as at their current schools.

Somehow I don't think a fancy name will turn the corner for us.........but hope 1000% I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt that we have coaches who can recognize exceptional or even good talent.

Perhaps why the program has players with the description of "diamond in the rough", "under the radar", or with very few or no other offers (not even Div. 1aa, II, or III)

We don't need to look at much besides "why the most talented" don't want to come to UConn.

The current coaches at Alabama or LSU couldn't get the same athletes to commit to UConn as at their current schools.

Somehow I don't think a fancy name will turn the corner for us.........but hope 1000% I'm wrong.

You actually believe Nick Saban or Les Miles wouldn't be able to get the same athletes to commit to Uconn? Just the names alone will have the top athletes in the country want to come here. Reality is we will never get a Saban or Les Miles type name to come here, unless we pay the big time dollars$$$$.

Reaction Score
It's all up to W
After watching this game we definitely are going to need some coaches that know how to recruit talent and have players who want to play football.. Our O-line was pitiful giving up 7 sacks, even the cincy people thought so "Should be pointed out, UConn offensive line about as interested in blocking as Huskies QB is getting rid of the ball.
John Toner said something similar in 1985 when he was looking for someone young and hungry to right the ship of the women's bb program and then he found Geno. It's all up to Warde to find the right guy before anyone else does. Yes it's not realistic for Warde to hire a Saban or a Meyer, but it is realistic (with luck) to find the next one before anyone else does, like Toner did when he hired Aueriemma over a cup of coffee in a Dunkin Donuts.

Reaction Score
I have said this on here a million times...the one thing we have to lure our next coach and his staff is the Burton/Schenkman complex. One of if not the best facility on the east coast. Add this to the right HC and staff...things will happen. Let's also not forget...that "lack of talent" phrase is getting thrown about a LOT on here now...the beat guys throw it around a lot too. That goes right back to the guys on this staff..ESPECIALLY the holdovers from Edsall's staff! Recruiting is as big a part of their job as coaching their guys if not more.

Reaction Score
I think that, when Warde hires HIS coach, player recruitment will be one of the facets in that coach's resume. He will look at that coach's recruiting pipeline & his results at getting his targetted player signed. The other factor in recruiting will be that coach's ability to assess players' talent & how it will project at the FBS level.
This is part of the due diligence process.

Reaction Score
I think that, when Warde hires HIS coach, player recruitment will be one of the facets in that coach's resume. He will look at that coach's recruiting pipeline & his results at getting his targetted player signed. The other factor in recruiting will be that coach's ability to assess players' talent & how it will project at the FBS level.
This is part of the due diligence process.

Yup - that's what the process should be - I agree.

Let's keep our fingers and any other body parts crossed that the process is actually seen through properly, and it yields and effective result.

What has me hopeful, that it can be a good process, and lead to something good, is that any candidate that is identified, can look at the game film, and see right away, that this team has potential - NOW - and that if you can generate success quickly, the recruiting rebuild process will be that much easier.

To be perfectly honest, the hiring process in January 2011, was a clusterflub, but at that time, we didn't have the kind of roster that was very attractive either. We have some good young players, and a couple of returning players for next year that will be seniors, that are very attractive now.

We need to recruit like hell on the offensive line. That is the only problem, that when I look at this team, is not a 1 year turnaround kind of fix at this point. I hope that we can hang onto the OT that's at Milford right now, and that he's the kind of guy that can play right away in the fall, and that our young players that have made the two deep this year, turn out to be players.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
To be perfectly honest, the hiring process in January 2011, was a clusterflub
I think the timing can't be overlooked. WM had to find a guy who could come in immediately and be ready to compete in roughly 7 months. With PP, we've known dude isn't the guy for the job for over a year now. Sucks we won't have coming off a BCS appearance to work with, but at least this won't/can't be a rushed search.

Reaction Score

Really?? I hope you are 1000000% wrong!! I think if Warde and Susan are serious about FB then I think you'll see someone from a BIG TIME PROGRAM!! If they aren't...we need to stop pretending that we are a FBS program...

Reaction Score
You actually believe Nick Saban or Les Miles wouldn't be able to get the same athletes to commit to Uconn? Just the names alone will have the top athletes in the country want to come here. Reality is we will never get a Saban or Les Miles type name to come here, unless we pay the big time dollar $.

Then do it. I agree with you on this. Selling top athletes on UConn is not how it's done at this stage. It's selling talent on top coaches. What has UMass, Memphis and Kentucky had in common . . . John Calipari as the head hoops coach. The man can recruit . . . Like him or not.

Reaction Score
Then do it. I agree with you on this. Selling top athletes on UConn is not how it's done at this stage. It's selling talent on top coaches. What has UMass, Memphis and Kentucky had in common . . . John Calipari as the head hoops coach. The man can recruit . . . Like him or not.
TDH is right...you get a coach and staff..especially a staff who can open doors for a coach who can close...show them tne facility they will spend their developemental time in while in school...recruits will come. The coach also has to push for a tough as nails non-conference schedule. That will equal what a P-5 school plays every year.

Reaction Score
I have said this on here a million times...the one thing we have to lure our next coach and his staff is the Burton/Schenkman complex. One of if not the best facility on the east coast. Add this to the right HC and staff...things will happen. Let's also not forget...that "lack of talent" phrase is getting thrown about a LOT on here now...the beat guys throw it around a lot too. That goes right back to the guys on this staff..ESPECIALLY the holdovers from Edsall's staff! Recruiting is as big a part of their job as coaching their guys if not more.
I remember reading in SI that Mark Richt felt that he was at a disadvantage inthe SEC because of the lack of facilities at UGA. Maybe he could come here and use ours next year as a program builder. Scott Lakatos is his DB coach. Not sure how the Georgia faithful will put up with him losing to Vandy.

Reaction Score
I remember reading in SI that Mark Richt felt that he was at a disadvantage inthe SEC because of the lack of facilities at UGA. Maybe he could come here and use ours next year as a program builder. Scott Lakatos is his DB coach. Not sure how the Georgia faithful will put up with him losing to Vandy.
Not many schools have a facility like we do...not many pro teams do either. Once they move the fields around...the practice field will be right behind the complex making it even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom