Going Forward | The Boneyard

Going Forward

Reaction Score
So, the last week or so was very disheartening.

Here at the boneyard, it has led to grand "discussions" about the state of the program.

Macro issues, if you will.

Whether Ollie should be fired, NBE vs AAC, Hartford vs Storrs, the on going threats to society caused by millennials etc etc.

But on a micro level; what, if anything, would you like to see Ollie and the coaching staff change or do, schematically or strategically, to try and right the ship this season?

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So, the last week or so was very disheartening.

Here at the boneyard, it has led to grand "discussions" about the state of the program.

Macro issues, if you will.

Whether Ollie should be fired, NBE vs AAC, Hartford vs Storrs, the on going threats to society caused by millennials etc etc.

But on a micro level; what, if anything, would you like to see Ollie and the coaching staff change or do schematically or strategically to try and right the ship this season?
Throw the ball in the middle of a zone and force the other team to respond for once.

Reaction Score
Throw the ball in the middle of a zone and force the other team to respond for once.

Larrier is the perfect player for this.

As was DHam and, to a lesser extent, Shonn Miller; but he seems so reluctant to run that offense, doesn't he?

Reaction Score
Screen better. Even the most rudimentary offense can have success if our players can set and come off successful screens. Jalen had what 8 straight points off of mediocre screens from Larrier last night to set us up for the win? Large Dave's first game he set a bunch of great screens and the game came so easily to our guards because of it. Beyond that just play hard.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Larrier is the perfect player for this.

As was DHam and, to a lesser extent, Shonn Miller; but he seems so reluctant to run that offense, doesn't he?
Which is dumb. I remember a game at XL against Stanford back in November of 2013 where we were undefeated and up 10 at half. Dawkins then came out with a wacky 1-3-1 zone where the hole was right at the free thow line. Ollie for some unknown reason didn't tell them to put Daniels in the middle and so we continued passing around the perimeter the whole half. We score about 12 points that half and lost by 10. From that point forward, people have played zones on us a lot more because they know Ollie can't adjust to them.

Reaction Score
Run an offense that gets easier looks. Enough of the 1 on 1. Some things I have issues with relating to this.

-Screening with a purpose OFF the ball. Stop going through the motions.
-Dump it into a big (even if it's just for show) and move without the ball (float to the corner, run a guard on guard screen)
-Attack the offensive glass. (this has been more of an issue in the last 3 games than before).Whaley seems to be the only willing to do this. Too many times its 4 guys getting back on defense when a shot goes up from 18-23 ft out.
-Screen the screener. Use Larrier/Vital as the original screener and then use a screen to get them open. Simple concept but no one is respecting our bigs on the roll.
-Run an inbounds play, any inbounds play. Can't remember the last time we even got a shot off a inbounds play.

Reaction Score
Micro level? Stop pretending like a win in overtime vs a 1-4 Ivy team is somehow a blessing from god and a good win for the UNI is a start...Deep down Ollie knows that is BS but he has peddled that BS long enough to where he is starting to believe it IMO.

Teach the kids how to box out. Though I saw a few impressive rebounds from the guards and MD.
More of an inside/out game.
Stop settling for 3s.

Reaction Score
Screen better. Even the most rudimentary offense can have success if our players can set and come off successful screens. Jalen had what 8 straight points off of mediocre screens from Larrier last night to set us up for the win? Large Dave's first game he set a bunch of great screens and the game came so easily to our guards because of it. Beyond that just play hard.

We started out screening and running offenses ok and it seems like we've regressed.

Reaction Score
Run an offense that gets easier looks. Enough of the 1 on 1. Some things I have issues with relating to this.

-Screening with a purpose OFF the ball. Stop going through the motions.
-Dump it into a big (even if it's just for show) and move without the ball (float to the corner, run a guard on guard screen)
-Attack the offensive glass. (this has been more of an issue in the last 3 games than before).Whaley seems to be the only willing to do this. Too many times its 4 guys getting back on defense when a shot goes up from 18-23 ft out.
-Screen the screener. Use Larrier/Vital as the original screener and then use a screen to get them open. Simple concept but no one is respecting our bigs on the roll.
-Run an inbounds play, any inbounds play. Can't remember the last time we even got a shot off a inbounds play.

Yes yes yes

Reaction Score

Except when they double the dribbler that throws everything off and its one on one pull up jumper time. Time for a new offense game plan- anything.

Stop switching on screens every single time. This has caused so much confusion. Almost cost us the game when Anderson and Vital both thought the other was guarding the shooter and he hit that three with a minute left.

Reaction Score
On defense, the most mind boggling thing to me is our inability to defend the perimeter.

Those 3's keep worse teams in it and allow better teams to run away.

For people with higher X's and O's IQs than me; is there something the coaching staff can be doing differently to combat this, or is it simply a lack of hustle on the part of the players?

Reaction Score
3 things that have been a consistent problem throughout the Ollie era:
1. The offense. What is it? Too much iso.
2. Defending 3's
3. Slow starts

Practice an offense that will be successful. This one is not working, and hasn't worked for 3 years now. Defend the damn 3. We allow teams like 1-4 Columbia to stay in the game by wide open 3's. Finally, get these guys fired up. The first 10 minutes it looks like they'd rather be anywhere else in the world.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
On a micro level? Don't take the first mediocre shot you see, 6 seconds into the shot-clock.

Move the ball around. Probe the D. Make them work and shift. Don't make it easy to be a one-and-done because we have nobody under the hoop to rebound whatever junk you chucked up 6 seconds into our offensive possession. That change in philosophy will go a long way toward fixing the offensive performance...

Reaction Score
On a micro level? Don't take the first mediocre shot you see, 6 seconds into the shot-clock.

Move the ball around. Probe the D. Make them work and shift. Don't make it easy to be a one-and-done because we have nobody under the hoop to rebound whatever junk you chucked up 6 seconds into our offensive possession. That change in philosophy will go a long way toward fixing the offensive performance...

No more jump shots from 6 inches inside the 3 point line!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I want to see Ollie standing more, prowling the sideline, yelling from the box at both players and refs.

You know what's funny; I was thinking that same thing during the Columbia game. There's something to be said about body language being contagious, and I think the kids would really respond to his jumping around, as they always have. I miss the games when the commentators would joke about him playing as the 6th defender on the corner 3...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
On defense, more zone. 3-2 versus teams that can shoot and 2-3 versus bigger teams. Mix them up versus teams with a little of each.
On offense, dribble penetration and kick out. I saw some of that last night with Adams kicking a number of passes out after he got in the lane. If he wasn't hurt maybe he shoots more of those, but at least it happened.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

Yes and no more of the quick 3 pointers in transition unless wide open on a kick out. And bottom line, reduce 3 point attempts unless pretty much wide open and feet set.

Reaction Score
No more jump shots from 6 inches inside the 3 point line!
Uconn has an awful shot selection. I find myself screaming "What the hell are you doing"...just...no. Catch the ball 6 inches back and just shoot the 3. I wonder if there is a way to measure shot selection. Probably no but Uconn would rank towards the bottom IMO.

Reaction Score
On defense, the most mind boggling thing to me is our inability to defend the perimeter.

For people with higher X's and O's IQs than me; is there something the coaching staff can be doing differently to combat this, or is it simply a lack of hustle on the part of the players?

It's mostly effort and being prepared by knowing your opponent. Feels like we never do any scouting and we are surprised when a lesser opponent is jacking up threes or a big shoots a three in front one of our big's with his hands down.

Reaction Score
It's mostly effort and being prepared by knowing your opponent. Feels like we never do any scouting and we are surprised when a lesser opponent is jacking up threes or a big shoots a three in front one of our big's with his hands down.

I was just thinking that it never looks like we've watched film on either ourselves or our opponents

Reaction Score

Could it be a lack of respect for the opponent? Even after the opponent buries a bunch of 3's they still are reluctant to get out on the shooters. They only appear to do it at the end of the game if the game is on the line.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Nothing. The pass-around-the-perimeter for 25 seconds followed by 5 seconds of hero ball is sure to pay off soon!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He could stop taking out guys who are getting into a rhythm after he's given them a long leash to start poorly. Its inconsistent coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom