Going down to Philly this weekend... | The Boneyard

Going down to Philly this weekend...

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Got tickets to the Temple game Sunday. Can anyone recommend anything worth while to see or do in the city? Good places to eat (I'm sure there are tons of places)? Where is the best cheesesteak?

I'll be reppin' our Huskies loud and proud! Let's get it! GO HUSKIES!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There are a lot of neon-painted buildings (mostly abaondoned row houses) that are falling apart and missing back walls in North Philadelphia. They're kind of interesting to see, in a way, depending on how you look at it.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of neon-painted buildings (mostly abaondoned row houses) that are falling apart and missing back walls in North Philadelphia. They're kind of interesting to see, in a way, depending on how you look at it.
Yeah but just make sure it's during the day. And even then.....

If you're into good beer try Eulogy Belgian Tavern on Chestnut Street. It's near all the historical museums and sites if you're into that stuff.

Reaction Score
I'll be there too. Visiting a friend from UConn who's from Philly, so luckily I'm in good hands.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Jim's is good because it's on South Street and you can hit up any number of bars before/after. One of my favorite spots in Philly is Chickie and Pete's. I make a stop every time I visit - it's great for crab fries, wings, dungeness crab legs and plenty of beer. There are lots of good restaurants and bars around 2nd st and Market. Manayunk is cool too, but it's kind of tough to get to depending on whether you're driving or taking SEPTA.

Reaction Score
Reading terminal market and DiNic's. Agreed. But also go there because there is so much else food wise. You can sample all kinds of stuff and it is a unique place from an Americana standpoint. Philly is vastly underrated as a food city. Probably because of the cheese steak - which I like and agree on Jim's. But after NYC, San Fran and New Orleans I put it up there with Chicago. Do some googling for the kind of food you like. It will be good in Philly. Seafood no exception.

thedrowsyowl

TU student from CT
Reaction Score
Current Temple student who grew up in UConn country here. A few things:

1. The area around Temple is nowhere near as bad as the people in this thread think it is. You'll be fine. Broad Street is one of the busiest streets in America and the Liacouras Center is on campus.
2. Go to Jim's on South Street. When you walk in, immediately look on the wall on the right, near the ATM. There are several framed articles about Gens's first championship in the 90s (he is a Philly guy, remember).
3. I apologize in advance if there aren't many kids in the student section. We are having the season from hell (just lost to ECU by 14) so I feel your guys' pain and Temple students generally only show up if we're playing Nova, Notre Dame, Penn State, etc. It's rough sometimes being one of like 10 people cheering for your school. I have work during that time but I might call out for this game.
4. Go see Center City Philly, it's one of the most vibrant city cores in the country. Lots of shopping, food, entertainment, etc. See the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and definitely Chinatown!

I hope you have fun, Temple and Philly are both given unfairly bad reps and they're both great places to be!

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Current Temple student who grew up in UConn country here. A few things:

1. The area around Temple is nowhere near as bad as the people in this thread think it is. You'll be fine. Broad Street is one of the busiest streets in America and the Liacouras Center is on campus.
2. Go to Jim's on South Street. When you walk in, immediately look on the wall on the right, near the ATM. There are several framed articles about Gens's first championship in the 90s (he is a Philly guy, remember).
3. I apologize in advance if there aren't many kids in the student section. We are having the season from hell (just lost to ECU by 14) so I feel your guys' pain and Temple students generally only show up if we're playing Nova, Notre Dame, Penn State, etc. It's rough sometimes being one of like 10 people cheering for your school. I have work during that time but I might call out for this game.
4. Go see Center City Philly, it's one of the most vibrant city cores in the country. Lots of shopping, food, entertainment, etc. See the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and definitely Chinatown!

I hope you have fun, Temple and Philly are both given unfairly bad reps and they're both great places to be!

Thanks for the recommendations!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
There's less than 100 miles from the CT/NY border to Filthy, we've got a full tank of gas, plenty of tickets and the Huskies are on a roll. Like a Cheesesteak (Wiz Wit).

PS 4* priceline hotels are $70 Sunday night

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Jim's is the best cheesesteak. However....I'd go to Reading Terminal Market for this 100 times out of 100.

DiNic’s Roast Pork Crowned ‘America’s Best Sandwich’

That sandwich or not, Reading Terminal is a great place to visit and hang. Lots of delicious stuff besides pork sandwiches.

Fwiw, Chickie & Pete's crab fries is among the most overrated food combos on the planet. They opened a stall at PNC Park last year and it's just "WTF is the deal with this crap?"

I'll plug for a friend - if you want a decent cup of coffee, skip all the La Colombe outlets and head over to Ultimo.

Reaction Score
And, if you're a runner, don't be shy about a morning run up the art museum (Rocky) steps. It's about 3 miles end trip from some of the hotels in the business district. And raise your hands at the top. I do it every time I'm there.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And, if you're a runner, don't be shy about a morning run up the art museum (Rocky) steps. It's about 3 miles end trip from some of the hotels in the business district. And raise your hands at the top. I do it every time I'm there.
Sounds like me coming home from work.

Reaction Score
If you've never been, go take a look at the Palestra on Penn's campus. The place is gorgeous and oozes history. As a college basketball fan, it almost felt like a rite of passage. I was able to get in through a door that was left propped open. It's truly the cathedral of college hoops

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Jim's is the best cheesesteak in Philly. Anyone who says Pats or Genos is a fraud.
Meh, it's debatable as to best cheesesteak but Jim's it the best place to go, especially this time of year. Go upstairs and people watch. It's on South Street.

There are a ton of things to in Philly, depending on what you like. Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are two must sees if you've never been. I like the Constitution Center quite a bit, but I get that it could be viewed as pretty dry . Ben Franklin museum is popular. The art museum is very nice as well. The Philly Zoo is nice enough if the weather were better.

Reaction Score
Are around Temple not so hot.

Go see the Univ Museum at Penn - great mummies.

Kyber Pass has ~300 different imported beers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom