OT: GOAT title is overused and too quickly given by the media. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: GOAT title is overused and too quickly given by the media.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative but doesn’t GOAT imply one greatest rather than a bunch of greats?

Greatest three UConn athletes of all time?

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
At West Point The Goat is the cadet with the lowest gpa (but still graduating) in the graduating class. The class chips in at least a dollar per cadet and that prize goes to the goat. George Custard and George Pickett were both goats.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You mean Nadia Comaneci is not? She scored 10s when they weren't realistic. They didn't have the training methods, medical knowledge, diet knowledge that they do today. Nadia is the GOAT.
She's was great but she's not the GOAT anymore. And neither is Bob Cousy.

Reaction Score
I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by The Lonely Island
She's not the GOAT. Just because you never saw Nadia, or it was too many years ago, doesn't change the fact that she's the GOAT. Jim Brown is still considered the greatest running back ever. Doesn't matter who ran for the most yards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At West Point The Goat is the cadet with the lowest gpa (but still graduating) in the graduating class. The class chips in at least a dollar per cadet and that prize goes to the goat. George Custard and George Pickett were both goats.
1627746180280.jpeg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lots of GOATS out there. But for my money, the one that seems to be excluded is Katie Ledecky.

Reaction Score
Custard. That's funny.

Reaction Score
Everyone in my neighborhood knows and accepts the fact that Jason Excell was the 6th grade GOAT of kickball at Allison Elementary circa 1975-76!
In third grade(1967 ish) I won four gold stars in one week for kickball so I will claim a part owner of the third grade goat title.

Reaction Score
If I were going to build a great football team from all the players in history, my first selection would be Neon Deion. Does that make him the GOAT? I don't know, but he would be my first pick.

Reaction Score
You mean Nadia Comaneci is not? She scored 10s when they weren't realistic. They didn't have the training methods, medical knowledge, diet knowledge that they do today. Nadia is the GOAT.
They don’t even know how to evaluate Biles routines difficulty. She should be getting 15s.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As I always say - it is virtually impossible to evaluate athletes and coaches from different eras and determine a GOAT.

The two biggest factors are criteria and change of the sport. I don't really think you can compare Nadia and today's performers. She WAS great, no doubt. So has Biles been great. But neither really can show they are the GOAT by a measurable criterion they both are judged by that everyone agrees on as determining greatest.

One of the reasons I really haven't questioned Geno being called the GOAT of WBB coaches is because he has nearly the most wins, clearly the most championships, best winning percentage and has done it through several eras.

Jim Brown as the greatest of all time Football Player? Even at his position? He could be. But by what measurable criteria could you call him the greatest - even factoring in intangibles? Why not Jim Thorpe? or Brady? Who's the greatest football coach (NFL)? Belichick - maybe. Or Paul Brown; or someone else entirely?

Its all great discussion fodder - but it is far from clear in almost any case I can think of.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Simone Biles is no longer the GOAT....the best of all times, in any sport, does not place third.
Complete nonsense.

Did Woods or Nicklaus (choose your GOAT) win every tournament they entered?
Ditto for Federer or Djokovic or Nadal or Laver.
Ditto for Pelé, or Chamberlain, or pick your GOAT-sport combination.

Is it not enough that you started this thread? What's behind this obsession over knocking her?

Reaction Score
Slow day here. Seriously, I don't think anyone can be determined to be the greatest of all time...too many eras and changes in sports.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom