OT: - Glen Campbell, hit singer and guitarist, dead at 81 | The Boneyard

OT: Glen Campbell, hit singer and guitarist, dead at 81

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
RIP Glenn Campbell. An icon and huge favorite of my dad's while I was growing up. I came to like a lot of his music - Rhinestone Cowboy, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, He Ain't Heavy, Southern Nights, Mr. Tambourine Man, etc. Some of his songs were written by others (or covered by others), but still, enjoyable stuff...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I heard a great piece with him on NPR a couple of years ago. Evidently he was in mid-stage dementia while he was on his final tour. His son was with him, and it sounds like they both had a great time. He sounded like he was a truly nice person; all the best to his friends and family.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite (and Southern Nights)

Reaction Score
My introduction to Glen Campbell was back in the 60's when he had a variety show that was the summer replacement for the Smothers Brothers.

I especially enjoyed the way he sang Natural to Be Gone.

I don't suppose Mac Davis will attend the funeral.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Not a bad actor either; was in TRUE GRIT with John Wayne.

Reaction Score
I heard a great piece with him on NPR a couple of years ago. Evidently he was in mid-stage dementia while he was on his final tour. His son was with him, and it sounds like they both had a great time. He sounded like he was a truly nice person; all the best to his friends and family.
Daughter played with him too. He had to use a promter to help him remember the words - was basically karaoke'ing himself. But he had no problem with the guitar.

RIP

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have his song "Sunflower" on my playlist and it played today without me even knowing that he has passed away. I remember taking a trip to Galveston when the song "Galveston" was popular on the radio. He was a talented man who had a hard end to his life and will be missed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
" and i need you more than want you and i want you for all time".doesn't get much better than that ....RIP

Written by Jimmy Webb, who also wrote MacArthur Park among many many other great songs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not a bad actor either; was in TRUE GRIT with John Wayne.
Great musician, weakest part of the movie.

My introduction to Glen Campbell was back in the 60's when he had a variety show that was the summer replacement for the Smothers Brothers.

I remember when they introduced him. They said he got the gig because he was the only person to audition naked.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Great musician, weakest part of the movie.

I remember when they introduced him. They said he got the gig because he was the only person to audition naked.

"You're lucky to be where water's so handy. I've seen the time I've drank out of a filthy footprint."

Reaction Score
There is a great documentary on Netflix, "Ill Be Me". Made in 2014 during Glen's Alzheimer's fight. He was a truly lovable guy with great support from his family. Very much worth a watch.

Reaction Score
I loved his music,loved the stories the lyrics told. I did watch the program on his final tour and was amazed how well he played the guitar but had to be prompted with the lyrics. Very sad .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom