Give ND Their Due | The Boneyard

Give ND Their Due

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
ND deserves credit. But 76 points to OSU? That game was a shoot out, not a defensive display.

My point indeed; not talking ND defense but 99 w/o their top scorer.

Reaction Score
My point indeed; not talking ND defense but 99 w/o their top scorer.
As Auriemma might say, the OSU defense was just a rumor. I'd like to see what a real coach like the Albany lady could do with a budget like that. And how about Mitchell disappearing in the 2nd half while the coach watched with his arms folded. Nice job.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As Auriemma might say, the OSU defense was just a rumor. I'd like to see what a real coach like the Albany lady could do with a budget like that. And how about Mitchell disappearing in the 2nd half while the coach watched with his arms folded. Nice job.

He did a great Holly Warlick imitation didn't he.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND used the best strategy available--exploit the lack of OSU defense. The Irish can shoot when open.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Often when a team loses a big player, the next game is a big rally game and everyone steps up their game. It is the games after that one that reality sets in and maybe the adrenaline isnt flowing as much. tOSU may have been the perfect opponent for the Irish to play. Sunday will be a more realistic test. I like the Rebounding Samuelson's team. Very gritty and determined this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
ND Stanford is going to be a real fun game I'm thinking. I do think ND prevails, even without Brianna Turner, but never never underestimate a Tara team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Should be a really good game on Sunday. Notre Dame likely has the edge but Tara can work magic and her team is peaking at the right time. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pull the upset.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think ND has a talent advantage all the way to the NC game, and except for Sunday a coaching edge as well. Should be a good game, but Stanford is a much better TEAM than OSUe and the coaching isn't in the same ballpark.

Reaction Score
ND Stanford is going to be a real fun game I'm thinking. I do think ND prevails, even without Brianna Turner, but never never underestimate a Tara team.
Ummm, letsseee...
Who was that masked man who beat us last???
Tara shoots from the hip.
and rarely misses.

Reaction Score
Irish played out of their minds last night. Last night they could have beaten the spurs, next game they could loose to the local cyo.

Reaction Score
I know McGuff is over rated and his team is a hot mess most night, but a wounded ND still put a big beat down on OHSU tonight. 99-76 McGuff, Hillsman, Jeffie Boy: It starts with defense guys.
As much as it hurts to give nd any credit, you hit it right on the head.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I know McGuff is over rated and his team is a hot mess most night, but a wounded ND still put a big beat down on OHSU tonight. 99-76 McGuff, Hillsman, Jeffie Boy: It starts with defense guys.
Very good recruiter, mediocre coach.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
ND deserves credit. But 76 points to OSU? That game was a shoot out, not a defensive display.
ND loses their post presence on offense, so wouldn't you emphasize perimeter defense on them? Guess it's a bit late in the season to be teaching defense.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Should be a really good game on Sunday. Notre Dame likely has the edge but Tara can work magic and her team is peaking at the right time. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pull the upset.

Stanford is peaking right now and have a good combination of outside and inside scorers, which can put some stress on that ND zone. However, they don't have PG Lily Thompson In Stanford's 90-84 Sweet Sixteen upset victory over Notre Dame last March, Thompson had 11 points and nine assists in 37 minutes and kept her cool against ND down the stretch when they put a lot of pressure on Stanford.

I thought Stanford's PG was a bit shaky last night, so it will be interesting to see what approach ND takes to defense on Sunday.

ND can't shoot it much better than they did on Friday but then again, as Deb Antonelli said, it was like a "H-O-R-S-E" game and no one was covering them. Not a good idea against Ogunbowale, Boley and Mabrey. Stanford won't make the same mistake. More of this game will be run through Kat Westbeld at the high post and expect more back-door action. Should be a good game.

Reaction Score
I think ND has a talent advantage all the way to the NC game, and except for Sunday a coaching edge as well. Should be a good game, but Stanford is a much better TEAM than OSUe and the coaching isn't in the same ballpark.[/QUOTE

ND is so deep, you could get the bends before you surface. They now have five high-school All Americans who can score and have swagger. The sixth player, the six footer, whose name I've forgotten, is now coming into her own. They all can pass and generate their own shots. Agunbowale and Allen can split defenses. They have the largest arsenal of shooters. If they play defense and crash the boards, I can see them in the final four. And I'm not a ND fan.

Reaction Score
Stanford is peaking right now and have a good combination of outside and inside scorers, which can put some stress on that ND zone. However, they don't have PG Lily Thompson In Stanford's 90-84 Sweet Sixteen upset victory over Notre Dame last March, Thompson had 11 points and nine assists in 37 minutes and kept her cool against ND down the stretch when they put a lot of pressure on Stanford.

I thought Stanford's PG was a bit shaky last night, so it will be interesting to see what approach ND takes to defense on Sunday.

ND can't shoot it much better than they did on Friday but then again, as Deb Antonelli said, it was like a "H-O-R-S-E" game and no one was covering them. Not a good idea against Ogunbowale, Boley and Mabrey. Stanford won't make the same mistake. More of this game will be run through Kat Westbeld at the high post and expect more back-door action. Should be a good game.
I thought Stanford's point guard, has been the difference maker, as well as their Aussie forward, the past 10 games Stanford has played. Stanford's point guard had a terrific defensive game vs. Texas point guard. That bodes well for Stanford in the ND game, given ND's talented point guard.

Reaction Score
I have to give ND credit they played a great game and it their shots. I didn't realize that OSU"s defense was that bad. Not only were the 3 point shots wide open but they had layups that were wide open also. ND and Stanford should be a great game.

Reaction Score
Often when a team loses a big player, the next game is a big rally game and everyone steps up their game. It is the games after that one that reality sets in and maybe the adrenaline isnt flowing as much. tOSU may have been the perfect opponent for the Irish to play. Sunday will be a more realistic test. I like the Rebounding Samuelson's team. Very gritty and determined this year.

I was surprised last night when I heard both Rebecca and Andy say ND got a good team to match up with Stanford. They elaborated - Stanford doesn't have a true low post player and that is a weakness. Yes a little bit but I think 1.) McCall is tough down low. I had McCall on my 15 player team (or HM). 2.) And I agree with the OP regarding Muffett. She is a super coach. Frankly, before Turner went down I thought they were legit 2nd best.

2.) And another point about this matchup in which Rebecca and Andy said ND got a good matchup - I don't think so at all - because I think teams that can rebound and play strong defense AND having a super coach on the other side in Tara are all more important factors that just having a low post player. Thus I do think they match up well vs ND.

Obviously I don't know who will win but I don't see what Rebecca and Andy see. I think it's a bad matchup for ND but ND or Stanford is good enough to win. But I'm with you- Stanford is a tough gritty team - and with their coaching - they are a very tough out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom