I was really looking forward to watching Alterique play tonight until I realized its on ESPN+ | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I was really looking forward to watching Alterique play tonight until I realized its on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
3's are long range jumpers. Put your toe on the line and it's still a long range jumper but alas a 2

Actually, no. the 3 point line is a physical striping on the floor that marks the point between a mid range shot and a long range shot. For years, people debating what consitutes a long range shot and a mid range shot. In the 1970's the ABA decided to mark the floor to help out fans. They also decided to give a team an extra point when one of their players made a "long range" shot. Over time, as players practiced more "long range" shots, they had to adjust the line to maintain balance.

Think along the lines of the speed limit changing on a road. Same speed all of a sudden becomes speeding or becomes driving slow even though you are driving the same speed. Well, in basketball, a shot from the same distance as 25 years ago has now become a mid-range jumper since the line has moved.

This isn't complicated. A shot with a foot on the line is a mid range shot and if you move back 2"-3" it becomes a long range shot. To suggest otherwise is to say there is no point where a mid range becomes a long range.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
? Why not?
Sorry to say but this is just the 1 year I can’t be a fan of his. I’ll still watch when I can or at least check his box scores, but his whole topsy turvy roller coaster career has turned me off. I do think he should play this year too. I’ll still be on the board btw. I just cant deal with all the doom and gloom and the defense of coach Marshall and being against Wichita playing.

Reaction Score
Actually, no. the 3 point line is a physical striping on the floor that marks the point between a mid range shot and a long range shot. For years, people debating what consitutes a long range shot and a mid range shot. In the 1970's the ABA decided to mark the floor to help out fans. They also decided to give a team an extra point when one of their players made a "long range" shot. Over time, as players practiced more "long range" shots, they had to adjust the line to maintain balance.

Think along the lines of the speed limit changing on a road. Same speed all of a sudden becomes speeding or becomes driving slow even though you are driving the same speed. Well, in basketball, a shot from the same distance as 25 years ago has now become a mid-range jumper since the line has moved.

This isn't complicated. A shot with a foot on the line is a mid range shot and if you move back 2"-3" it becomes a long range shot. To suggest otherwise is to say there is no point where a mid range becomes a long range.
Now that you've put it that way.. I understand your position.. I have been casually watching College BB since the ABA days.. Understand the genesis of the 3 point line, etc. So think about this Chin.. Even though Wes B took and made shots that were as long or longer than say ..Ray A.. During his UConn career. There was no three point line in College BB for Wes.. When he went to the ABA with the three point line.. He was able to be called a long range shooter.. Shots were still the same distance..Never thought about it that way..

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to say but this is just the 1 year I can’t be a fan of his. I’ll still watch when I can or at least check his box scores, but his whole topsy turvy roller coaster career has turned me off. I do think he should play this year too. I’ll still be on the board btw. I just cant deal with all the doom and gloom and the defense of coach Marshall and being against Wichita playing.
I hear you, but the kid has had just a total [poop]show of bad luck throughout his career that I can’t help but to root for him to have a successful season however he defines it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hear you, but the kid has had just a total [poop]show of bad luck throughout his career that I can’t help but to root for him to have a successful season however he defines it.
I’m sorry to spoil the joke but I was being sarcastic based on the other “I can’t root for x” threads. I love the kid and will always root for him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m sorry to spoil the joke but I was being sarcastic based on the other “I can’t root for x” threads. I love the kid and will always root for him.
Haha okay that makes sense. I guess it is time to upgrade the sarcasm meter...

1608231215121.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69