Gilbert Active at Memphis | The Boneyard

Gilbert Active at Memphis

Reaction Score
This is great news. Alterique gets going right and we are a much better team. As far as starting, cliche but it’s not who starts it’s who finishes (see: Tulsa game). I believe he will play well. We’ll see tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Why not start AG? The season is over anyways unless we win tourney. Doesnt hurt if he starts. Gaffney hasn’t exactly been blowing us away this year. He showed a little improvement the past couple games from how he’s been most of this year - big deal. This board is funny sometimes. Let’s all calm down with the Gaffney Accolades. I’m all for supporting him but start AG tmrw. It doesn’t matter - but it matters to AG and Hurley. With all that being said , Gaffney will prolly start tmrw but only because we won Wednesday (against an awful temple team) but if we lose tmrw and AG plays decently and Gaffney plays like just a body who can bring the ball across the timeline, AG will start the next game

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it’s clear that Jalen will be starting. Not only is winning important, it takes tremendous pressure off Rique. In the end, this could actually boost his confidence as pressure is eased and he has more fun, and never know what could happen from there. And at the same time Jalen gets more accustomed to taking a lead role as a PG

Reaction Score
I think it’s clear that Jalen will be starting. Not only is winning important, it takes tremendous pressure off Rique. In the end, this could actually boost his confidence as pressure is eased and he has more fun, and never know what could happen from there. And at the same time Jalen gets more accustomed to taking a lead role as a PG

If people thought Hurley was setting him up for failure before, starting him would be that x10. Or it would be a bold mfing move to instill confidence. Starting him is the kinda thing that depending on how it turns out, Hurley is a genius or a monster with very little middle ground.

If it were me, I probably would have just waited until we were home, had the local writers write some more (true!) stories about his difficult last couple weeks/months/years. Bring him off the bench. You know the crowd would get behind him as he's checking in once the reality of his life's arc had been allowed to percolate for a few more days.

Ohio St. and DJ Carton are dealing with something similar. Indiana's Archie Miller had some good comments about it.

Reaction Score
Why not start both? May be very smart. Al. Gaff. Cv. aa. Jc.
just see what happens as Memphis looks to be a tough matchup
Not bouknight. Would be a bad look. Winning games is still important for the development of this team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Good for Gilbert, I'm happy for the young man. I'm sure he'll find a way to contribute to help us be successful down the stretch. THE SEASON IS NOT LOST, that's just plain silly. So much can be accomplished still; learning how to win close games, learning how important chemistry is, the conference tournament still looms and even making the NIT is a step forward for these kids and thus our program.

Just as important, if he quit and walked away from adversity, well that would be a horrible lesson in life and wouldn't bode well for AG moving forward.

Dealing with adversity is a strength we all need to learn to succeed in life. That's why I disagree with all the "poor Gilbert" reactions I've seen around here. Work hard, do the right thing, be proud of yourself and don't worry about what the detractors think. You will always encounter competition in life, it comes in many different shapes and sizes, you have to overcome those challenges and not let them bring you down. If social media is negatively impacting you, then turn it off.

Finish strong AG, so strong that we all want you to come back, and you want to too.

Go Huskies

PS: They're beating Memphis today

Reaction Score
Glad he's back this soon. We could use the depth. I expect the same starting line up as last game. I think Al will flourish in his reserve role.

Reaction Score
Did you suggest taking bouknight out for Gilbert?
No. But dh may. Just trying to get ahead of the idea especially since I was responding to the what if dh starts Gilbert premise. As of now in reality I would sadly have him off the bench. But history has shown us, if anything, the 2 pg lineup is a historical key to our success.

pj

Reaction Score
Gilbert will come off the bench. It's a no-brainer. He needed to humble himself, subordinate himself to the team. The time off proved that Hurley was right and he was hurting the team; he no doubt told Hurley he is willing to take that subordinate role. Coming off the bench will reinforce that. He needs to remain humble and to learn a new approach to the game. That will take time. He needs to keep his humility. Starting now would only bring back the feeling that he is the man.

This is great news. Gilbert is essential depth and will bring us wins. This rearrangement will be good for Gaffney, good for Gilbert, good for the team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t know if he will start or not. What matters is that he watched the Temple game and saw the way the ball moved. There is no reason why Al can’t be the point guard we need. It’s not a lack of ability. It’s just playing the game differently. That’s what I’ll be looking to see. The ball moving through the air, less dribbling, a smile on his face. My guess is that will even lead to made shots.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ve seen several references to brooms? What is this about? It may be due to my use of ignore.
G4xA.gif

Reaction Score
"The Huskies will still be shorthanded. Sophomore forward Sid Wilson, who injured his knee in an overtime loss on Sunday to Tulsa and missed the Temple game, will not play on Saturday."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom