OT: Giants | Page 41 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don’t know what we are doing at all. Guess it’s going to be Sweat with the sixth pick and Stidham with the 17th.

There is one thing that concerns me about OBJ, I thought he looked slower last year and so I don’t think he is going to be as productive going forward. His best years are already behind him, but next two years at a lower level for OBJ is still better than 90% of the WR.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t know what we are doing at all. Guess it’s going to be Sweat with the sixth pick and Stidham with the 17th.

There is one thing that concerns me about OBJ, I thought he looked slower last year and so I don’t think he is going to be as productive going forward. His best years are already behind him, but next two years at a lower level for OBJ is still better than 90% of the WR.

they should have traded obj a long time ago. its the complete lack of a coherent plan that is frightening.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Ok so I was totally on board with drafting Barkley last season with the second pick. However, now that they traded OBJ, it was a stupid move. If this was a possibility all along, wtf was the plan on drafting a RB and having studs at the skill positions with an aging QB? Draft one of the three possible star QBs instead.

Hell, keep OBJ this season and sign Bortles for all I care and draft a QB. Bench Eli and use Bortles as a filler. As terrible as he is, he is mobile and is still better than Eli.

This was just a horrible move all around. There is a complete lack of plan with this team. So what's the plan moving forward? Have noodle arm Eli pretend he can throw it beyond 5 yards to Shepard or Engram while every team stacks the box and bottles up Barkley every play?

Looks like we'll be challenging the Lions for that 0-16 season next year. Really just embarrassing all around. Between this and the Collins fall out....unreal

Reaction Score
im good with the concept but what the hell is the plan
I’m here, too.

Adds more dead money, and you wish you got a little more for someone who wasn’t (publically) forcing his way out so you have no leverage. But he was gonna waste most of the rest of his prime in NY be it Eli or Haskins regardless (neither deserve an OBJ right now at their respective points in their careers), and cause more headaches in the process.

I don’t see the plan either. More pre-draft moves will tell. As far as solid additions, they got the G from Cleveland in the prior trade, but anything else? They’ve given away a lot. Maybe they’re stockpiling picks to move up to guarantee Haskins, or rebuild.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Trading obj is inexcusable.

Holy @#$%balls. That's insane.

@KembaStepback that's more than I reckoned it would be. Peppers really came on last year when he switched to playing in the box. Guess this was their Collins replacement.

The Browns are swinging for the fences. I'm not really sure what to think.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't even like OBJ, but getting a first and Peppers..huh??

And a third. Plus the future $17m in cap space [per @Rocktheworld below]. The cap space of approx $20m annual hit over the life of the contract is why you will never get what he's 'worth' as a player.

Honestly, that haul is better than I thought.

But I wouldn't have traded him anyway.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
they should have traded obj a long time ago. its the complete lack of a coherent plan that is frightening.

That. If they were going to move him, do it before you dump a billion bucks into him, thereby lowering his trade value.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

That. If they were going to move him, do it before you dump a billion bucks into him, thereby lowering his trade value.

$5 million net. NY on the hook for $16 million next season.

Yikes, I didn't even look into the details. But year after they're good no?

Regardless, I agree with Whaler above.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Holy @#$%balls. That's insane.

@KembaStepback that's more than I reckoned it would be. Peppers really came on last year when he switched to playing in the box. Guess this was their Collins replacement.

The Browns are swinging for the fences. I'm not really sure what to think.

I don't know if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't know if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I'm not sure. Timing of the move wasn't the best.

The Giants obviously don't think they are winning over the next couple years.

Reaction Score

Yikes, I didn't even look into the details. But year after they're good no?

Regardless, I agree with Whaler above.
Like I said before, it’s just odd that NY took what they took when you figured this wasn’t at all like Pittsburgh having no leverage with AB. I imagine most of us would have thrown the phone across the room if we heard the Browns offer us a 17, a 90- or 80-something, and a young safety for a top 10 skill position player.

I get that there’s been a little tension between OBJ and front office, but I can’t see a guy like OBJ wanting out of the city of New York, regardless of who’s throwing him the ball and who’s paying him. Speaking of pay though, I wonder if the Browns will restructure his deal to put him up there with AB

Reaction Score
I am no G-men fan, except when they beat the Pats in the Super Bowl; but, I feel for my neighbors with this trade. I just don't see any planning or strategy behind it. Why sign OBJ to a huge contract only to trade him and end-up eating a boatload of dead money. Makes no sense and Vegas agrees. The G-men's Super Bowl changes went from 40 to 1 to 80 to 1. Yikes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure. Timing of the move wasn't the best.

I don't understand why they would trade their best player all while still be on the cap hook for most of his deal this upcoming season.

I thought if at 6 if they could get a QB (Haskins or whoever I have no real opinion on who) then with OBJ, Barkley and the retooled line there was at least some semblance of a plan. Then next season move on from Eli's deal and try and deal with the defense.

Right now we've got a GM who thinks he's "old school" and just doesn't get it. Bring back Reese at this point. Jeez.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't understand why they would trade their best player all while still be on the cap hook for most of his deal this upcoming season..

I roughly recall there being some scuttlebutt when he signed the contract, about it being a 'trade friendly' type of detail, so it sparked a bunch of rumors. I could be wrong there though.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I roughly recall there being some scuttlebutt when he signed the contract, about it being a 'trade friendly' type of detail, so it sparked a bunch of rumors. I could be wrong there though.

The reports look like the Giants are going to be on the hook for about $21M in dead money.

This was a deal they signed literally this summer.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The reports look like the Giants are going to be on the hook for about $21M in dead money.

This was a deal they signed literally this summer.

Yes, I know. Let me see if I can find what I was talking about.

EDIT: ok, not from back then, but here's a sentiment:

Odell Beckham traded from Giants to Browns: Winners and losers | Will Eli Manning’s struggles get worse? Jabrill Peppers fresh start?

WINNER: GM Dave Gettleman​
The Giants smartly negotiated Beckham’s five-year, $90 million contract extension so the dead cap hit on a trade is “only” $16 million, compared to $35.5 million if released. It tells you they were wary of the commitment then and there, even though Gettleman’s refrain had been, “We didn’t sign him to trade him.”

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes, I know. Let me see if I can find what I was talking about.

EDIT: ok, not from back then, but here's a sentiment:

Odell Beckham traded from Giants to Browns: Winners and losers | Will Eli Manning’s struggles get worse? Jabrill Peppers fresh start?

WINNER: GM Dave Gettleman​
The Giants smartly negotiated Beckham’s five-year, $90 million contract extension so the dead cap hit on a trade is “only” $16 million, compared to $35.5 million if released. It tells you they were wary of the commitment then and there, even though Gettleman’s refrain had been, “We didn’t sign him to trade him.”

If they were so wary of commitment, they sure showed it in a very odd way.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This whole thing is ridiculous. Just get rid of Eli. Seriously, what are they doing keeping him around? So he won two Super Bowls for is over 10 years ago. Really awesome and will always be remembered for it but he's literally killing us. We had OBJ and Barkley last year and couldn't do crap. It's a joke. If there was no plan, draft a QB. I loved the Barkley pick but not so much now that they traded OBJ. I know hindsight is 20/20 but come on. You're telling me there's no other QB that could at least bridge the gap between now and when the rookie QB who they'll take is ready?

Reaction Score
For a lot of guys, football is a way to cope with pre-existing social problems. I mean, it's literally a sport that normalizes violence and all sorts of other things that would be considered anti-social in most environments. The nature of the sport plus the comradery allows them to feel socially adjusted.

Odell's a little different. His social problems - quirks, if you want to call them that - directly threaten the culture of any football locker-room. Too early for me to say whether it will work in Cleveland but he's probably not the guy you want around a rebuilding team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For a lot of guys, football is a way to cope with pre-existing social problems. I mean, it's literally a sport that normalizes violence and all sorts of other things that would be considered anti-social in most environments. The nature of the sport plus the comradery allows them to feel socially adjusted.

Odell's a little different. His social problems - quirks, if you want to call them that - directly threaten the culture of any football locker-room. Too early for me to say whether it will work in Cleveland but he's probably not the guy you want around a rebuilding team.

if you want to say Odell made an entire beard out of cocaine just say it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom