OT: Giants-Browns trade | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants-Browns trade

Reaction Score
haven't seen Lorenzo Carters name mentioned yet but this is a big move for his development. Liked what I saw from him last year and his production, if healthy, should increase.

hope we can sign Jamon Brown cheap for some O line cover - anyone know if he can play RT?

also 26 must be licking his chops running behind hog mollie hernandez, halapio and zietler. fix RT and find a way to fix 76's contract (wishful thinking) and this line could, cant believe im saying this, be solid in 2020.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It appears Dorsey doesn't want to overpay for a guard. That's Belichickean. And I read one analyst question whether anyone would want Zeitler at his salary. When he drafted Corbett last year the move was questioned because they already were set there. Now we see why. Dorsey thinks Corbett is ready to play, that's good enough for me. Everyone is looking for an edge rusher and the Browns got one.
Every team has an edge rusher, doesn’t mean you overpay. If Zeitler was a free agent he would get far more than his current cap number. Vernon would get far less.
And where do you get Belicheck didn’t want to spend big money on a guard? Does Logan Mankins ring a bell?

For the record, guards are making far more than they used to, now that it's a passing league. Pass protection is everything, at every OLine position.

Reaction Score
haven't seen Lorenzo Carters name mentioned yet but this is a big move for his development. Liked what I saw from him last year and his production, if healthy, should increase.

hope we can sign Jamon Brown cheap for some O line cover - anyone know if he can play RT?

also 26 must be licking his chops running behind hog mollie hernandez, halapio and zietler. fix RT and find a way to fix 76's contract (wishful thinking) and this line could, cant believe im saying this, be solid in 2020.
Brown will sign as FA somewhere he can start at guard if I had to guess....Giants should focus on FA Williams for tackle

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If they can sign a FA for right OT, then it frees up the draft to focus on Defense where help is needed at every level and perhaps a Center and late round WR.

Reaction Score
If they can sign Darryl Williams I'm fine with Halapio and Pulley at C and focusing on defense in the draft (post Haskins at 6)

Reaction Score
Rumors today are that the Eagles are close to trading Michael Bennett to the Patriots for a late round draft pick and Bennett's brother Martellus could come out of retirement and sign with the Patriots to live a dream of playing with his brother.

Reaction Score
I like the trade. Giants are forgoing the defense, but Landon collins and Vernon are high priced. Love the move. I like some of their young defensive players.

I would be in favor of Haskins at 6 and letting him sit. I would trade OBJ too because you can’t trust him.

Reaction Score
Huh? The player they traded is an elite offensive guard by any metric. To think Corbett can step in and be as effective as Zeitler is a stretch. And they addressed an area of need by trading for a player who likely would have been a cap casualty, makes a ton of money, and isn’t nearly as valuable as Zeitler as a football player.

That’s not a belicheck move, that’s the opposite of a belicheck move.

Edge rusher is a premium position, much more valuable overall than a right guard. Both players are good performers at their positions. Both teams benefited, but I like the Browns end better.

Reaction Score
I like the trade. Giants are forgoing the defense, but Landon collins and Vernon are high priced. Love the move. I like some of their young defensive players.

I would be in favor of Haskins at 6 and letting him sit. I would trade OBJ too because you can’t trust him.
I'm good with Haskins or an edge rusher, but you're crazy if you're trading OBJ. Especially if you take Haskins. Why take a QB if you're trading away a top 3 wide receiver?

Reaction Score
I would take Murray or Haskins if they are there at 6 as Eli has to go. If not, best lineman available and maybe the Duke QB at 2? If I was to trade down I would do it to drop down in 2 and get a 3rd round pick. With Barkley, Beckham and a better O-line than last year the new QB would have more going for him than Darnold had with the Jets to start his career.

Reaction Score
How could anyone think the browns won this trade?
Have they not watched Vernon the last two years?
Hes good at having nagging injuries, almost getting to the QB, and oh yeah - committing penalties on three straight plays like he did during a game last year.
Good riddance. The fact we got a very good player to fill a big hole is even better.
I like the job that Dorsey has done and would have loved him as a giants GM a few years ago but even good GMs have occasional blunders

Reaction Score
Hes good at having nagging injuries, almost getting to the QB, and oh yeah - committing penalties on three straight plays like he did during a game last year.
Good riddance. The fact we got a very good player to fill a big hole is even better.
I like the job that Dorsey has done and would have loved him as a giants GM a few years ago but even good GMs have occasional blunders

Players with more QB hits than Olivier Vernon from 2015-2018:
1. Aaron Donald (136)
2. Von Miller (105)
3. Michael Bennett (103)
4. Carlos Dunlap (102)
5. Cameron Jordan and Calais Campbell (93)
7. Vernon (92)

Thank you.

Reaction Score
What about last year or hell even the last two years if that will make your stats look better

Reaction Score
Side note I heard this the other day and cant believe it's actually true but here goes..
Since the giants drafted manning they have failed to draft an OL who made the pro bowl.
That's a 14 year drought if true
Actually chris snee was drafted the same year as Eli so it must have been regarding all drafts from 2005-2018

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Side note I heard this the other day and cant believe it's actually true but here goes..
Since the giants drafted manning they have failed to draft an OL who made the pro bowl.
That's a 14 year drought if true
Actually chris snee was drafted the same year as Eli so it must have been regarding all drafts from 2005-2018
This is true, but also kind of misleading. Diehl made 1 and was drafted the year before Eli, Snee made 4 and was drafted the same year, and O'Hara was signed the year Eli was drafted and made 3 as a Giant

Reaction Score
Perhaps Vernon is better as robin instead of of batman. The Browns have Garrett who is going to attract all the attention. Vernon was likely doubled on most plays as the Giants had nobody else to even threaten qbs. He will be singled up with the Browns on pretty much every play as he was when Miami had him and Camrron Wake. Before the Browns had Baker, they had Zeitler and they won zippo. Until the Gmen replace Eli, a gaurd wont make a major difference in wins and losses. And before anyone brings up Hue Jackson, we had Shurmur before that. He sucked slightly less so good luck with that.

Reaction Score
Vernon's appeal going back to when he was a free agent and the giants gave him a monster contract has been that he will get close to the QB a lot but he doesn't usually finish the job with a lot of sacks. I know pressures and hits are good but for 19 mil a year or whatever hes making he needs to be a finisher if he's going to be paid like he's Strahan.
Zietler was rated a top 10 guard and the top RG on pass plays last year I believe. After seeing this line the last 5 years sign me up on this trade every single day.

Reaction Score
Edge rusher is a premium position, much more valuable overall than a right guard. Both players are good performers at their positions. Both teams benefited, but I like the Browns end better.

You’re like 2-3 years behind on this take. Zeitler is elite at his position. Vernon is not anymore.

Reaction Score
So you should jettison elite players because you don’t win? Doesn’t make sense to me.
Yeah, that's not what I said but go ahead and create your own narrative if it makes you feel better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Of course I haven't watched Vernon for the last two years, the Giants are unwatchable. But from what I read, Vernon went to the Pro Bowl as an DE so the Giants moved him to LB. And now you guys say he sucks. That's so Gianty. He'll be back at DE with a formidable guy on the other side. Sounds good.

Reaction Score
Dorsey could have waited for giants to cut Vernon
Even if that's hypothetically true, you do understand that at that point you are in a bidding war with 31 other teams. Almost every pass rushing edge player who was a free agent was franchise tagged. Seattle and KC did that with Frank Clark and Dee Ford and now they are fielding trade offers.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's not what I said but go ahead and create your own narrative if it makes you feel better.

I must have misread, my apologies, I read it as you saying that they didn’t win with Zeitler so no big deal he was jettisoned for an inferior player.

Reaction Score
I must have misread, my apologies, I read it as you saying that they didn’t win with Zeitler so no big deal he was jettisoned for an inferior player.
No worries. I may not have articulated my point as well as I could have. As a Browns fan, I'm not even sure how I feel about the trade but I understood why they did it from an economic and team building standpoint. It's really going to depend on how Corbett plays as Zeitler's replacement. Hopefully it works out for both teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom