Getting the 5 seed. | The Boneyard

Getting the 5 seed.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Ok, so that is the goal with 2 games remaining.
We are sitting at 9-7 in conference and need to win at least one game the rest of the way to make it. We have @ECU and Cincy left. I believe we can definitely win the former at least.

The other three teams in the hunt for the 4/5 seeds are Memphis, Tulsa, and UCF. We hold the tiebreaker over UCF and Tulsa holds the tiebreaker over us.

Remanining schedules:
Tulsa (7-8): ECU, @SMU, @Tulane
UCF (9-7): Cincy, @USF
Memphis (8-7): Houston, Tulane, @SMU

In order for us to get 5 seed:
1) We win one of two remaining games, Tulsa loses @SMU, UCF loses vs. Cincy.
2) We win both remaining games.
3) We win neither games, UCF loses out, Tulsa loses two of their final three.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
So bad new, more than likely. UCF just beat Cincy.
Standings 4-7
4. UCF (10-7)- @USF
5. UConn (9-7)-@ECU, Cincy
6. Memphis (8-7)-Houston, Tulane, @SMU
7. Tulsa (7-8)-ECU, @SMU, @Tulane

New scenarios (let's assume UCF beats USF):
Win both remaining games
Win one, Tulsa loses to anyone, and Memphis loses two.
Win neither, Tulsa loses 2x, Memphis loses once.

Winning out may be more necessary than before, but if we get the #5 and UCF gets the #4, that is a win in my book.

Reaction Score
Nope - I think the second scenario you list is likely. Houston can beat Memphis -- only tough one is that game today is on the road for Houston. Memphis plays @ SMU to end, so think that's almost a guaranteed loss. Then all we have to do is beat East Carolina and 5 seed is ours.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Tulsa wins so here is the updated standings:
4. UCF (10-7)-@USF
6. Memphis (8-7)-Houston, Tulane, @SMU
7. Tulsa (8-8)-@SMU, @Tulane

Scenarios to get a top 5 seed (assuming UCF beats USF):
Win out
Win one, Memphis loses 2x, Tulsa loses once
Win neither, Memphis and Tulsa loses out

Reaction Score
If Uconn could have just taken care of business, they would have been in control of their own destiny. I am not cheering for one team or another for this or that. Uconn just needed to win and still needs to win, plain and simply. Take care of business vs ECU, Beat cincy at home, simple as that.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Houston beats Memphis by a point. Good result for us.
Updated standings:
4. UCF (10-7)-@USF
6. Memphis (8-8)-Tulane, @SMU
7. Tulsa (8-8)-@SMU, Tulane

Scenarios to get 5 seed (assuming UCF beats USF):
Win out
Win one, Memphis and Tulsa both lose one
Everyone loses out

Reaction Score
Memphis and Tulsa both have to go to SMU. If UConn beats ECU, that should assure the 5 seed. UConn would have to get past UCF, and then the big one, SMU. What also would help a great deal, is if Houston could upset Cincy in the other semi. That would not only give the Huskies an easier game, but it would likely lock up an at large bid for Houston. This is a good outcome all the way around. Houston is going to have to play Cincy twice in the next four games if they don't stumble. A win in either game will get the rpi down to around 40, provided they beat ECU, and don't stumble in their first game of the tournament. With this in mind, the crowd needs to make it like a home game for Houston vs Memphis/Tulsa, and Cincy, with the idea that Houston has the best chance to knock Cincy off before the Huskies have to face them.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
SMU wins home games vs Memphis & Tulsa

UConn wins @ E Carolina

UConn earns bye

H

huskymagic

Well assuming we beat UCF in the opening game of the AAC, we will get SMU next in the semifinals. Time for Vance and the rest of the team to put their money where their mouth is. I have a feeling Houston will beat Cincinnati in the other semis. So it might be a path of UCF, SMU, Houston to win the AAC.

Reaction Score
Well assuming we beat UCF in the opening game of the AAC, we will get SMU next in the semifinals. Time for Vance and the rest of the team to put their money where their mouth is. I have a feeling Houston will beat Cincinnati in the other semis. So it might be a path of UCF, SMU, Houston to win the AAC.
That's the easiest path, with the bonus that if UConn beats Houston in the final, 4 teams would likely get in.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Question regarding our post season qualifications:

If we win the ECU game and lose to Cinci (reasonable expectations), we would likely get the 5 seed in the AAC if SMU takes cares of business.

That would bring our record to 14-15 (from what I understand the DII game against Chaminade does not count).

If we win 1 game in the AAC Tourney and then lose to SMU/Houston, we would finish 15-16.

Does that eliminate us from qualifying from the NIT or CBI? In which case, would we rather get the 6 seed and hopefully get 2 wins in the AAC Tournament to finish 16-16?

As of now, the NIT bracket has Memphis, UCF, Houston all in it.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Question regarding our post season qualifications:

If we win the ECU game and lose to Cinci (reasonable expectations), we would likely get the 5 seed in the AAC if SMU takes cares of business.

That would bring our record to 14-15 (from what I understand the DII game against Chaminade does not count).

If we win 1 game in the AAC Tourney and then lose to SMU/Houston, we would finish 15-16.

Does that eliminate us from qualifying from the NIT or CBI? In which case, would we rather get the 6 seed and hopefully get 2 wins in the AAC Tournament to finish 16-16?

As of now, the NIT bracket has Memphis, UCF, Houston all in it.
I actually said this to @UcGrkFrk in our conversation the other day. It would be better for us from a record standpoint to get the 6 and obliterate USF again as we need the win to realistically have a good shot at finishing .500

If we are under .500, we don't qualify for the NIT, although I think we can still play in the CBI or CIT (which I'm for doing). It looks like we will get the 5 seed however, which means we more than likely will need to upset a higher seeded team to even be able to qualify for the NIT.

Reaction Score
I would hope not. This season has been bad enough without ending it with a loss to some MAAC team nobody has ever heard of. Sometimes it is just time to shut it down and start fresh next year. This is one of those times.

H

huskymagic

NCAA tournament or bust. We don't need "practice" in the CBI. What we need is our team to win 3 games in the AAC tournament, that's it.

PS: Elevate UCONN standards

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom