Getting Senators Involved | The Boneyard

Getting Senators Involved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few days ago I posted that getting individual state senators involved in conference realignment would accomplish nothing. Many here jumped all over me for that.

Well let's see what happened. Mitch McConnell, senior Senate leader, jumped up and down, foamed at the mouth and flapped his wings about the B12 taking Louisville instead of WVU. B12 waited two days and took WVU anyway.

Not looking for a fight but just want people to realize that when I post something that many think is negative that does not automatically make me a troll.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A few days ago I posted that getting individual state senators involved in conference realignment would accomplish nothing. Many here jumped all over me for that.

Well let's see what happened. Mitch McConnell, senior Senate leader, jumped up and down, foamed at the mouth and flapped his wings about the B12 taking Louisville instead of WVU. B12 waited two days and took WVU anyway.

Not looking for a fight but just want people to realize that when I post something that many think is negative that does not automatically make me a troll.

You're right, WVU legislators sat back and said nothing.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

You are correct on all points.

Reaction Score
Let me understand the theory -- an instrument of the State of West Virginia, encouraged by instruments of the States of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, wants to breach agreements it makes with instruments of the states of Connecticut, New Jersey, and Florida, and somehow the federal government shouldn't be involved?

Unless you are Ron Paul and believe we shouldn't have a federal government, what can be a more important purpose than resolving disputes among states?

Reaction Score
Let me understand the theory -- an instrument of the State of West Virginia, encouraged by instruments of the States of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, wants to breach agreements it makes with instruments of the states of Connecticut, New Jersey, and Florida, and somehow the federal government shouldn't be involved?

Unless you are Ron Paul and believe we shouldn't have a federal government, what can be a more important purpose than resolving disputes among states?

The only branch of the Federal government that typically gets involved is settling contractual disputes is the Judicial and a dispute between entities based in more than one state would have the requisite diversity to give the federal courts jurisdiction.

However, and what you seem to keep missing, EFFECTIVE action by Congress for the 'purpose of resolving disputes among states' requires the passage of legislation. That needs 60 votes in the Senate and a few Senators jumping up and down does not automatically equal 60 votes.

Reaction Score
The only branch of the Federal government that typically gets involved is settling contractual disputes is the Judicial and a dispute between entities based in more than one state would have the requisite diversity to give the federal courts jurisdiction.

However, and what you seem to keep missing, EFFECTIVE action by Congress for the 'purpose of resolving disputes among states' requires the passage of legislation. That nees 60 votes in the Senate and a few Senators jumping up and down does not automatically equal 60 votes.

So no Congressman should ever raise an issue unless they know in advance how it's going to turn out? Yes, they are all that clairvoyant.

And the thought that interstate disputes should only be decided by judges, rather than polliticians, would have preempted the Civil War.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom