Getting more out of Polley | The Boneyard

Getting more out of Polley

Reaction Score
Obviously the coaching staff has a ton of different things to be focusing on right now, but one of them needs to be getting more out of Polley. He's never been able to get his own shot - and that is what it is. But when we've freed him up with set plays, he's been deadly. Those two fadeaway 3s last night were nuts - pure net on both. But both were 10/10 on the difficulty scale - even with Polley's 6'9" length and him fading away, the defender was able to challenge both shots really well. He wasn't really "open" for either one, which makes the fact that he swished both even more impressive.

We need to figure out how to get Polley more open looks, even if they're a bit deeper than the line - he's shown he has the range.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Agreed. We should be running more sets for him. He should be taking 12+ shots per game. He’s shooting 45% from the field and 43% from 3. He’s twice as efficient as AG. I’d like to see Polley, Bouk and Adams taking the majority of our shots moving forward. Carlton is matchup dependent.

Reaction Score
Solid point. He needs to be getting more open looks. But I'm going to give the season about 10 games or so before i expect some kind of discernible offense which results in the type of shots we are all looking for.

Some of those shots he made reminded me of guards we had in the past. Guys like Ray, Rashaad Anderson and Ben Gordon. They way he came around a screen a fired. Looked very smooth and natural for Polley. Despite moving fast and being a bit off balance. Not sure we've had a guy that could make that type of since J Lamb Shabazz.

I'd also add that most of our guys in the past that took those type of shots hand a bit more handle. It is possible the defender has the ability to commit more to the shot against a guy like Polley.

Reaction Score
Gilbert can get penetration any time he wants. We need to free up Polley on some planned drive and kicks.
You mean rather than driving into the trees and getting stuffed? Wonder if Hurley thought of this?

Reaction Score
Gilbert can get penetration any time he wants. We need to free up Polley on some planned drive and kicks.
I don’t think Polley not being free when AG drives is the issue...

Attachments

• 3BEDAD77-3986-41C4-8A8E-DC4B90E620A7.jpeg
    3BEDAD77-3986-41C4-8A8E-DC4B90E620A7.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 48
Reaction Score
Obviously the coaching staff has a ton of different things to be focusing on right now, but one of them needs to be getting more out of Polley. He's never been able to get his own shot - and that is what it is. But when we've freed him up with set plays, he's been deadly. Those two fadeaway 3s last night were nuts - pure net on both. But both were 10/10 on the difficulty scale - even with Polley's 6'9" length and him fading away, the defender was able to challenge both shots really well. He wasn't really "open" for either one, which makes the fact that he swished both even more impressive.

We need to figure out how to get Polley more open looks, even if they're a bit deeper than the line - he's shown he has the range.
Someone else making shots consistently
will give both Polley and Carlton better looks .
Shooting improvement will give the team a surge.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

I wrote in the chat last night that I’d like to see Polley pick and pop/pick and roll with Bouknight. Bouknight getting a pick from Polley opens offensive opportunities for both, depending on how the D plays it. Even an off the ball pick with Bouknight as a cutter could be useful.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Polley not being free when AG drives is the issue...
There’s a defender right there that easily steals a pass to Polley where he is, he needs to be a little more toward foul I line height to get that pass

Reaction Score
Polley needs to grab AG by the collar and scream at him to pass the freakin ball or he'll kick his arse!

That works on the playgrounds and in the gym, sure it will work in D1 ball too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom