Getting comfortable | The Boneyard

Getting comfortable

Reaction Score
If, and big if Uconn can get a big half-time lead at Dayton here's a thought. If Geno is serious about getting Crystal some time off let Ms Williams play the point. She is the one player who must feel they can run the show should fatigue injury or foul trouble happen to Crystal. Even next year they may have 2 talented freshman point guards, but they are freshman. Get Ania some good looks, and get out of her funk. You still have Olivia and Meghan in the game to make sure the outcome is never in doubt At some point bring in Kyla to play the post (she has earned it)and see what happens rinning some offence though her Molly needs a chance to get some wide open shots and know she has the support of the team. Games like this should help players confiidence in the roles we need them for.

Reaction Score
Westbrook is a point guard.
True, but I think the piece you are responding to is expressing concerns about this season. How Williams may be the best back-up at point, until Aubrey ( more of a wing anyway ) and Anna get more comfortable. The underlying assumption is that Molly ( point guard) can't handle that job in high stress situations. We don't know that for a fact, but that seems to be an underlying assumption.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Westbrook is a point guard.
When Westbrook came out of HS, I thought she was a shooting guard. Hayes was the point guard their freshman year and when she transferred Holly had no choice but to use Evina as a point guard. I don’t think that is her “natural” position especially when reading dialogue on her A/TO ratio on VolNation.
We are in the same predicament, we must make do with what we have-a shooting guard to play the point. The good news is Anna is a “point forward” or “point wing” to aid with ball movement just not as adroit a ball handler as Crystal Dangerfield

Reaction Score
Caution: we don't really know the health of Liv's toe--how uncomfortable it is, and how long she can play on it w/out further damage. When Molly comes in, she usually brings the ball up; she's more a true point guard than Williams. I always enjoy it when Kyla plays; she does many good things. IMO, Westbrook isn't going to play the point next year, Paige is (I know, I know, she's a freshman. So was Stewie.) Evina will play a wing with Meg, Liv in the middle and Buckets and Christyn, guards. We'll have some length on the bench next year along with Nika to sub in for Paige. The team will be deeper, but will it be greatly improved?

Reaction Score
Caution: we don't really know the health of Liv's toe--how uncomfortable it is, and how long she can play on it w/out further damage. When Molly comes in, she usually brings the ball up; she's more a true point guard than Williams. I always enjoy it when Kyla plays; she does many good things. IMO, Westbrook isn't going to play the point next year, Paige is (I know, I know, she's a freshman. So was Stewie.) Evina will play a wing with Meg, Liv in the middle and Buckets and Christyn, guards. We'll have some length on the bench next year along with Nika to sub in for Paige. The team will be deeper, but will it be greatly improved?
Yes.

Reaction Score
When Westbrook came out of HS, I thought she was a shooting guard. Hayes was the point guard their freshman year and when she transferred Holly had no choice but to use Evina as a point guard. I don’t think that is her “natural” position especially when reading dialogue on her A/TO ratio on VolNation.
We are in the same predicament, we must make do with what we have-a shooting guard to play the point. The good news is Anna is a “point forward” or “point wing” to aid with ball movement just not as adroit a ball handler as Crystal Dangerfield

Actually Hayes came off the bench and often played point when she was in the game, but Westbrook was essentially the starting PG both years she played at UT. Observing them when Hayes was playing she seemed more natural at the position but Westbrook was the starter and defacto PG even before Hayes was kicked off.

Westbrook impressed me while with the LVs. She did improve her shooting and defense between year 1 and 2. She also looked much more comfortable handling the ball up top. Of course the team struggled last year but she, Zay Greene and Rennia Davis were the only LVs who looked as though they were actually capable of being on one of the Summitt era teams before the decline happened.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually Hayes came off the bench and often played point when she was in the game, but Westbrook was essentially the starting PG both years she played at UT. Observing them when Hayes was playing she seemed more natural at the position but Westbrook was the starter and defacto PG even before Hayes was kicked off.

Westbrook impressed me while with the LVs. She did improve her shooting and defense between year 1 and 2. She also looked much more comfortable handling the ball up top. Of course the team struggled last year but she, Zay Greene and Rennia Davis were the only LVs who looked as though they were actually capable of being on one of the Summitt era teams before the decline happened.
Thank you for the input, one thing I always noticed was her A/TO ratio was not the greatest. I was always curious if this was due to her, her teammates, a lack of coaching or all three. It was especially curious considering Holly was a point guard. Of course when Holly played it was “dump it down low, shoot and rebound, shoot again” mentality of Pat Summitt.
I think what Geno and CD preach is ball movement and best shot options so Evina will benefit. The issue becomes how to merge in a true point guard like Paige to EW, CW, MW, Anna And Liv.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If, and big if Uconn can get a big half-time lead at Dayton here's a thought. If Geno is serious about getting Crystal some time off let Ms Williams play the point. She is the one player who must feel they can run the show should fatigue injury or foul trouble happen to Crystal. Even next year they may have 2 talented freshman point guards, but they are freshman. Get Ania some good looks, and get out of her funk. You still have Olivia and Meghan in the game to make sure the outcome is never in doubt At some point bring in Kyla to play the post (she has earned it)and see what happens rinning some offence though her Molly needs a chance to get some wide open shots and know she has the support of the team. Games like this should help players confiidence in the roles we need them for.
Christyn has actually played more minutes this season than Crystal (190-189). Let's face it, whether its injury or foul trouble Christyn is the backup PG to Crystal. If both Christyn and Crystal become unavailable Anna is the next option to run the offense. Molly has been given 3 full seasons of chances to be a contributing guard.

Reaction Score
I like YOUR thinking, however, EVELYN should get the minutes instead of KYLA.....Use KYLA as defense and a spark off the bench..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like YOUR thinking, however, EVELYN should get the minutes instead of KYLA.....Use KYLA as defense and a spark off the bench..
1574806609310.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
listen Evelyn is a big body with fouls to give to rest ONO....
I am always amazed when a see a comment that a players main contribution is "fouls to give", as if there are no bad consequences to committing fouls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom