Get To Know Jackie Young of Notre Dame | The Boneyard

Get To Know Jackie Young of Notre Dame

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Named MVP of their holiday tourney.

"McGraw believes Young could be one of the greatest athletes she’s ever coached in more than three decades at Notre Dame, the type who could average a double-double — and still guard the opponent’s best player. On occasion this year when point guard Lili Thompsonhas needed a break, the 5-11 Young also can bring the ball up the floor.

"Currently she is second on the team in minutes played (32.8 per game), scoring (17.8) and rebounding (7.8), and has the fewest turnovers among the starters (8), while handing out 13 assists. Her aggressiveness at attacking the basket has put her on the foul line the most, where she is 31 of 35 (88.6 percent)."

BlueAndGold.com - Notre Dame's Jackie Young: The Waiting Is Over

A Kia assignment perhaps?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My first look at Shepard this year. Still as I remembered her at her former club.

Shepard.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@Orangutan & @Dillon as we were talking ND over the summer I recall saying that ND should build the team around Young because she was your most talented player and not Arike.

called it.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
@Orangutan & @Dillon as we were talking ND over the summer I recall saying that ND should build the team around Young because she was your most talented player and not Arike.

You did indeed say that.

It is perhaps worth noting that Arike is leading the team in minutes and scoring, is second in assists and steals, and is 3rd in rebounding. The team is very much still built around Arike.

If anything, Jackie has supplanted Marina as option 1a.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't think she is taking many 3's this year, maybe MM is changing her game.

Shepard has in fact taken zero 3s this season. She's taken on Turner's role of shooting primarily from point-blank range.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Shout-out to @Dillon77 for this highly accurate quote from an earlier thread:

"Like Orangutan, I think Jackie Young deferred to her elders (and Boley) too much last year, but I think she'll come out of that shell this year, particularly if Shepard does not play.

Thus, you could see big numbers from Arike and/or Jackie Young, who is very talented both as an athlete and a scorer."

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
No doubt that Young was also the MVP in our game with ND.

Debbie Antonelli‏Verified account @debbieantonelli Nov 25
Jackie Young not only had 23 pts for @ndwbb in the @GCShowcase vs USF, she defended Laksa most second half and forced tough shots. Good, tough 2-way player for @MuffetMcGraw

I don't remember how many points Laksa was able to score when Young was covering her in the 2nd half, but considering that Laksa was 9-11 beyond the arc and had 36 points for the game, it couldn't have been that effective.

Notre Dame vs. South Florida - Box Score - November 25, 2017 - ESPN

Aside from, perhaps, her first game with UConn, I don't think Laksa had much success against your team in subsequent games. I'm not going to bother checking further and reliving those nightmares.

Good luck to you, but don't beat ND too badly, since it will make our 10 point loss to them look even worse. :p

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't remember how many points Laksa was able to score when Young was covering her in the 2nd half, but considering that Laksa was 9-11 beyond the arc and had 36 points for the game, it couldn't have been that effective.

Laksa scored 18 points on 5-6 shooting from the field (all attempts were 3s) in the 2nd half. Not having seen the game, I'll have to take Debbie's word that they were tough shots.

Reaction Score
Jackie Young is coming into her own and will be a force to be reckoned. She will go to the rim for shots and rebounds with great athleticism. I hope Z and Gabby are ready.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I actually believe that Jackie Young might have ended up as NFOY if a large part of her season hadn't been derailed by the ankle injury she suffered in the UConn game. Up until that point, she had played quite well and seemingly was getting better every game.

Young's athleticism is top-shelf. I've got her on my All-Athlete Team along with Gabby Williams and Monique Billings.

Reaction Score
agree with you all. she was mighty impressive last year until, as you say, Plebe, her injury. Muffet has a way of turning out top-notch guards, and Young brings an incredible amount of talent.

Reaction Score
Jackie Young's talent was on display vs Michigan tonight. She and Arike make a strong pairing capable of putting up the numbers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Shout-out to @Dillon77 for this highly accurate quote from an earlier thread:

"Like Orangutan, I think Jackie Young deferred to her elders (and Boley) too much last year, but I think she'll come out of that shell this year, particularly if Shepard does not play.

Thus, you could see big numbers from Arike and/or Jackie Young, who is very talented both as an athlete and a scorer."
Yeah, I thought that Jackie was deferential last year, too much so at times. But, as far as I'm concerned, she can decide to take no shots until after the UConn game. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I actually believe that Jackie Young might have ended up as NFOY if a large part of her season hadn't been derailed by the ankle injury she suffered in the UConn game. Up until that point, she had played quite well and seemingly was getting better every game.

Young's athleticism is top-shelf. I've got her on my All-Athlete Team along with Gabby Williams and Monique Billings.
I think Kaila Charles might fit in that group.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Jackie Young's talent was on display vs Michigan tonight. She and Arike make a strong pairing capable of putting up the numbers.

She had 18 points and 14 rebounds last night, with her season average now at 17.9 ppg (second to Arike's 20.7) and 8.6 rebounds (just behind Jessica Shepard's 8.9). And she and Arike both are on the floor 33.1 minutes per game, so that is the Irish 1/1a punch right now.

Whenever Michigan made a run, Arike and/or Jackie quelled the runs: Arike was 4 of 6 on 3 pointers and in consecutive possessions twice ran the break to the foul line then dished to Jackie for wide open lay-ups. Shepard made nifty outlet passes, as well.

While Arike is option 1, Jackie is becoming more and more comfortable with taking it to the lane or pulling up on the jumper. Dynamic but fluid. Pleasure to watch.

One other positive note for the Irish: Kat Westbeld entered the starting lineup for the first time since last year. She is the subtle glue player who can help on weak-side defense, but also anchors the half-court offense. Very good to see her getting back to speed to augment the Arike and Jackie headlines.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
With three proven shooters, Muffet doesn't need her out there.
Doesn't need her out there....to shoot? If so, I think she's not one of the main options in the half-court set, but the Irish look for their posts for last-minute dishes. Plus, Jessica can get position on smaller and/or slighter posts and seal them out well.

Where she's most handy right now is rebounding, which she's doing well. And Mikayla Vaughn was just injured in practice and didn't play on Wednesday. We'll find out more Friday. If that is a medium- or long-term layup, the Irish will need to have Shepard rebound even more. Luckily, Kat Westbeld is coming back well and Jackie Young rebounds superbly for a guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom