"Georgia Southern to jump at chance to lose money" | The Boneyard

"Georgia Southern to jump at chance to lose money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/the-hater/2013/mar/26/georgia-southern-jump-chance-lose-money-more-games/

Posted by a Blogger in the Atlanta Journal Constitution called ... THE HATER

What pisses me off?

Since 2003, it has been Boston College s looking down our nose at us. How much did they win ... and how good has their Athletic Dept done (competitively) in the ACC? On a parallel course, a bunch of Townies from that CNY County of Onondaga has pumped up their chest & looked down their nose. Tossing insults. Whilst losing regularly to us. You say it is about Football? I say it is about a bunch of Twits ... guys like I have seen all my life ... fighting against Sports being a meritocracy.

4 North Carolina Programs are making ooodles more than the University of Connecticut under these new TV contracts and structure. Second schools in the state of Mississippi ... and Iowa ... and Oregon ... and Baylor? We win! And ... they are finding new and more creative ways to lock us out. And then look down their noses.

So ... here we have THE HATER.

Probably went to University of Georgia. Keep that good Ol' Team from Statesboro down. (4th school from Georgia trying to make it to FBS). The ONLY thing that makes sense, for me (a UConn fan), is to keep pushing forward. Notre Dame doesn't want to play us if we beat them in South Bend (that has more to do with NO 10 year contract than anyplace we play them). Michigan is going to whine coming to East Hartford. We ARE in for some really tough years. But, if Paul Pasqualoni can continue to recruit better classes (and then hand the Program off to someone who can take us to a high level), we have a fighting chance. Frig all these Cartel s.

Reaction Score
The reason the ACC struggles to be one of the major conferences? Too many small private schools and too many schools in North Carolina. The ACC should have locked up Maryland, Rutgers, and UConn to get them 3 flagship state universities. Instead, they have added 3 small private schools and 3 schools that are clear #2s in their own states. This will forever limit their media contracts and it is why the flagships of the ACC, UNC, FSU, and UVa, are vulnerable for poaching. What do UNC, FSU, and UVa have in common with BC, Syracuse, WF, and Miami?

In contrast, Big 1G has added 4 state flagship universities (PSU, Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers) SEC has added 1 state flagship and the #2 in Texas. PAC 12 added 2 state flagship universities.

Reaction Score
The article looks at a study that shows ramping up football is a dubious endeavor at best. More schools should drop it and stop losing tons of money, especially during a time when higher education is being dismantled. It's a waste of resources that schools can't afford, and it's actually gone beyond that statement now. Most administrators know very little about college sports and they can't seem to understand that you can't compete at the highest levels instantly.

That being said, there are two conversations going on here that are not mutually exclusive. One, should there be cartels that ice out other schools? Of course not. Let everyone play who wants to. That's quite different however from asking whether schools should be losing tens of millions on football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom