Georgetown upsets Providence, plays UConn tomorrow at noon ET - Preview | The Boneyard

Georgetown upsets Providence, plays UConn tomorrow at noon ET - Preview

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UNCASVILLE — Milan Bolden-Morris scored a team-leading 18 points to lead No. 9 seed Georgetown to a 68-55 win over No. 8 Providence in a first-round Big East Conference women’s basketball tournament game on Friday at Mohegan Sun Arena. The victory sends the Hoyas into a quarterfinal meeting with top seed UConn on Saturday at noon. The Huskies won the lone meeting this season, 90-49 on Feb. 20.

The Hoyas delivered a knockout against Providence with a 21-0 second-half run. Bolden-Morris (12.6 points per game) scored 18 points on 7-for-19 shooting. She scored only six against UConn, so stopping her will again be a key for UConn. Georgetown allows 67.8 points per game, with opponents shooting 40.2 percent, 34.2 on 3s. The Hoyas have won three in a row, allowing 51.0 points during this stretch.

The basics​

Big East Tournament quarterfinal: UConn vs. Georgetown
Time:
Noon ET
Site: Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville
Series: UConn leads, 48-6
Last meeting: UConn won 90-49 on Feb. 20 at XL Center
TV: FS1 (John Fanta, Kim Adams)
Radio: UConn IMG Sports Network on 97.9 ESPN and the Varsity Radio App (Bob Joyce, Debbie Fiske)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another preview article.

Nice material on Evina and of course, the Paige Bueckers update

On how she’s feeling: “She felt pretty good today (Thursday). We had Monday and Tuesday off so yesterday she didn't she didn't have a great day. I think moving every day, I think that helps her. Not doing anything probably isn't the best thing — doing too much isn't the best thing either. But today she had a really, really good day. And it's the best she's look since she's been back.”

On if she’ll be on a minutes restriction: “Maybe only the [restrictions] that I feel like putting on based on what she says or based on what I see. I don't see her playing 35 minutes, three games in a row. Let's put it that way. But I can't say exactly how many minutes. It'll be more than 15.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some interesting pregame quotes from Georgetown Coach Howard

Howard on whether his Hoyas’ team today is different than the one that faced UConn on Feb. 20: “The four games before UConn — we played Marquette and we were right there, we were up at half against Villanova, and we there with Creighton, and we lost that double-overtime game to DePaul — they were starting to learn that they could compete with the best in the conference. Then we ran into the beast and they kind of bring you back into reality a bit. They got to see what real length is about. They got to see what it’s like to have 10,000 people on top of you. And they took note to that. In order to be in the same conversation you’ve got to play every minute.”

I’ve been watching Azzi all of her life,” Howard said. “You don’t (prepare) for her. We’ve got to keep everything in front of us. We’ve got to take away penetration lanes. If we concentrate on Azzi, someone else is going to hurt us. You have to make sure you’re there to contest their shots when they get them up and then rebound.

“Azzi has a great touch on her shot. Her and Brianna Scott played AAU together. It’s going to be good. We’ll see if we can dial up something like we did at Georgetown last year when we held them to 28 in the first half. Who knows?”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom