114th in Offensive efficiency
  • 49th in offensive rebounding rate
  • 67th in 3PA/FGA (43.3%); 114th w/ a 35 3P%
  • 108th in FTA/FGA; 186th w/ a 71.1 FT%
  • 121st in A/FGM (52.7%)
  • 243rd w/ a 48.5 2P%
  • 281st in turnover prevention

277th in Defensive efficiency
  • 54th in opp. 3P% (30.5%); 90th in 3PA/FGA prevention (34.6%)
  • 64th in FTA/FGA prevention
  • 166th in A/FGM prevention (50%)
  • 183rd in turnover rate
  • 282nd in defensive rebounding rate
  • 295th in opp 2P% (53.6%)

Results from first Big East games
  • 68-65 W against DePaul
  • 70-74 loss to Seton Hall last game
  • All three other Big East losses were by 10+ points
  • Best non-conference win: Notre Dame 72-68 in OT; no other wins were against average teams or better
  • Non-conference losses to Holy Cross, Rutgers, TCU, Cuse
  • Non-conference schedule ranked 344th hardest
Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 1.29.38 PM.png

Georgetown’s Mostly Used Players - All play between 16-34 mpg and have started at least two games apiece. Styles and Cook are the only players who started every game

Jayden Epps 6’2 187 SO - transfer from Illinois

Rowan Brumbaugh 6’4 183 RFR - transfer from Texas
  • Highest rated defender
Jay Heath 6’3 209 GR
  • Tied 2nd-lowest rated defender
Wayne Bristol 6’6 195 SR

Dontrez Styles 6’6 212 JR - transfer from USC
  • Tied 2nd-lowest rated defender
Supreme Cook 6’9 229 SR - transfer from Fairfield
  • Lowest rated defender
Drew Fielder 6’10 216 FR
  • Second highest rated defender
Ismael Massoud 6’9 213 GR - transfer from Kansas State

Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 1.28.31 PM.png

With so many new pieces and such a weak non-conference schedule, it is pretty hard to get a legit read on this year’s Georgetown team, but statistically speaking, their strength seems to be on the perimeter on both ends of the court, which makes sense since two of Georgetown’s three most commonly used frontcourt pieces (Massoud and Fielder) are perimeter-first weapons.

Five of Georgetown’s top scorers are new transfers, led by starting point guard Jayden Epps (Illinois) and wing Dontrez Styles (UNC). There’s a lot to like about Epps: he’s a fearless high-usage guard who creates his own bucket, but is also unselfish. An efficient jump shooter, Epps still gives up a lot of turnovers as a first year full-time point guard, but I can see him becoming very good, very soon.

Styles has impressed me too. He’s incredibly athletic, but has yet to parlay his natural gifts into a consistent defensive game. On offense, Styles shares Epps’ breakdown ability and efficiency in his jump shot, but when Styles has the ball, he’s probably looking to score. Playing a combo forward game for Georgetown, Style is also an excellent offensive rebounder.

Jay Heath is the most experienced returnee. A crafty guard who is struggling from three this year, despite his strong career percentage, Heath is a volume scorer, but is not efficient inside the arc and gives up a ton of turnovers. He can produce and also give headaches.

Rowan Brumbaugh is a big, strong combo guard who is versatile, but inefficient on the offensive end. A crafty distributor, Brumbaugh plays at a slow pace, almost like Kam Jones. He reminds me of a really good middle aged YMCA player - doesn’t look like much, not a great athlete, but plays strong defense and has an intriguing bag of tricks on offense.

Supreme Cook is overmatched in the Big East defensively, but he’s a smart, efficient undersized low-post big who is a very strong rebounder. Despite his defensive woes, he’s a decent rim protector. Awful free throw shooter.

Personally, even though Cook has started every game, I see freshman Drew Fielder starting for the Hoyas by season's end. He needs to build strength in order to battle under the boards in the Big East, but he plays an efficient, sophisticated game on offense and he’s got good instincts on defense. He, along with Massoud, are excellent three-point shooters.

A long line of teams were interested in Massoud in the portal, but I assume he opted to play at Georgetown for more playing time. He reminds me of Tyler Polley, a nice sized shooter (but a better rim protector).

Bristol is an athletic, defensive-first wing who is very good in transition. Good shooter and hard worker. Backs up the 2 and 3.

Similar to DePaul, Georgetown has some exciting pieces, but hasn’t put it together yet, but they’ve got a much better ceiling than DePaul. Considering their proneness to turnovers, UConn will have a ton of transition opportunities. Also, their defensive weakness at the frontcourt could allow our frontcourt (paging Stewart and Singare…) to build some confidence.

Oh, and Ed Cooley is the coach.

Reaction Score
With every other top 5 team losing this week to inferior competition, UConn has a chance to do the FUNNIEST thing ever today

Reaction Score
So...Georgetown is winless since we've last played them and they're only Big East win was a 3 point victory over DePaul...but at least Cooley is rich as a...

That being said, here are the updated metrics and stats from conference play:

Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 8.34.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 8.33.50 AM.png

Reaction Score
I may watch SHU - Georgetown from last night because I am trying to figure out how the Hoyas kept that one close

Reaction Score
I can't believe how incredibly Bad Georgetown has been over the last 3 Seasons. Only 3 Big East regular season wins in that stretch. (two of them over Depaul). Meanwhile Depaul has 9 wins during same timeframe.
Last night was Georgetown's 46th road game since December 2019. Lost 41 of them.

Saturday's game will be the largest turnout of the year. The last sellout of any kind was in 2013.

Reaction Score
I may watch SHU - Georgetown from last night because I am trying to figure out how the Hoyas kept that one close
They've been playing better lately in general (despite losing 7 straight). Styles was hot from 3 in the first half, Epps made a couple garbage time 3s and Cook kept playing hard to the end. Seton Hall wasn't totally locked in.

Reaction Score
I can't believe how incredibly Bad Georgetown has been over the last 3 Seasons. Only 3 Big East regular season wins in that stretch. (two of them over Depaul). Meanwhile Depaul has 9 wins during same timeframe.
Good grief, that's a stat that really spells it out for you. Yikes.

That said, obvious trap game.

Reaction Score
Having a guy taking 17 shots a game while shooting less than 35% from the field is actually pretty crazy

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Last time (at home) Styles and Cook beat the crap out of our guys inside and it was a dog fight until the end. 1 point victory and no injuries and I will be happy

Reaction Score
Good grief, that's a stat that really spells it out for you. Yikes.

That said, obvious trap game.

Hope that was a joke…no way is this team looking ahead to DePaul. Or Marquette for that matter. They are locked in!

Reaction Score
Epps might be the most toxic player I've watched all year. Guy single handedly lost them the Providence game. Jacks up shots left and right without ever looking to pass.

Reaction Score
Epps might be the most toxic player I've watched all year. Guy single handedly lost them the Providence game. Jacks up shots left and right without ever looking to pass.
Not sure what you expect. The team is Epps and Styles with some better than expected results from Cook. The cupboard was completely bare under Ewing. It’s a total rebuild.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom