Geno's record vs Vivian's record, one more baby! | The Boneyard

Geno's record vs Vivian's record, one more baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With a Huskies win on Monday, Geno will be within single digit to roll over Vivian racing to 1000 wins
C Vivian Stringer Rutgers 46 years as Nov 1 16 971-373 as Dec 18-16 974-375 3-10

Geno Uconn 32 years as Nov 1-16 955-134 as Dec 18-16 964-134 9-0

Reaction Score
Not sure why you feel the need to point this out unless it is just to bash CVS. We all know Geno is the better coach and will most likely be the winningest coach by the time he retires - barring illness. That doesn't mean the CVS or Sylvia, or Tara, or Pat didn't accomplish a lot in their coaching careers.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure why you feel the need to point this out unless it is just to bash CVS. We all know Geno is the better coach and will most likely be the winningest coach by the time he retires - barring illness. That doesn't mean the CVS or Sylvia, or Tara, or Pat didn't accomplish a lot in their coaching careers.
It is just that it will be a 'big moment' for Geno when he moves into fifth place on the coaching list of career wins and when he passes Stevens as well into 4th both of which may happen this year.

Reaction Score
First is to acknowledge a big step in Geno success, Second in the case of Rutgers: Did you ever attend a game when Uconn was playing at Rutgers and witness how nasty the fans were toward the Uconn fans and specially toward Geno's his wife? By your question I am sure you didn't . Vivian never got on the microphone in an attempt to curb vicious personal attacks like most coaches do when it gets all of hands.

Reaction Score
I am under the impression that BY is classier than the level the title of this thread indicates.

Having said that I would like to own up to spending many hours with List of college women's basketball coaches with 600 wins
Geno has been stuck in the 6th place for at least 3 yrs. If Rutgers continues its course, he would move up a year earlier than expected.

CViv once said that she would not go to WNIT. She swallowed her pride and went to two postseason WNITs in 2014 and 2016 to boost her record.
Another WNIT invitation may not arrive this season unless Rutgers shows dramatic improvement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno will have the most wins. He'll probablyt stick around long enought to catch Pat but I don't think he'll catch Tara.

Statistics correct as of December 12, 2016
Rank Name Years Wins Losses Pct. Teams (Seasons)
1 Pat Summitt ** 38 1098 208 .841 Tennessee (1974–2012)

2 Tara VanDerveer ** 38 988 226 .814 Idaho (1978–80), Ohio
State
(1980–85), Stanford (1985–95, 1996-)

3 Sylvia Hatchell ** 42 983 359 .732 Francis Marion (1975–86), North Carolina (1986-)

4 C. Vivian Stringer ** 46 973 375 .722 Cheyney (1971–83), Iowa (1983–95), Rutgers (1995-)

5 Barbara Stevens * 40 966 270 .782 Clark (MA) (1977–83), Massachusetts (1983–86), Bentley (1986-)

6 Geno Auriemma ** 32 964 134 .878 Connecticut (1985-)

7 Jody Conradt ** 38 900 309 .744 Sam Houston State (1969–73), Texas-Arlington (1973–76), Texas (1976–2007)

8 Jim Foster * 39 870 329 .726 Saint Joseph's (1978–
91), Vanderbilt (1991–2002), Ohio State (2002–13), Chattanooga (2013-)

9 Robin Selvig 38 865 286 .752 Montana (1978–2016)

10 Andy Landers * 36 862 299 .742 Georgia (1979–2015)

11 Muffet McGraw * 35 829 265 .758 Lehigh (1982–87), Notre Dame (1987-)

He'll have to settle for most national championships and best winning percentage.

Reaction Score
If Geno averages 5 more wins per year than Tara for 5 years, or 4 more per year for 6 years - AND he contines to coach as long as she does after that...??

Reaction Score
Yes I have attended the games. I have been a season ticket holder for many years. I don't care for fans that are nasty to opposing coaches, their families or other teams fans for that matter. If I remember correctly, the first game at RU where that happened was a game where RU held UConn scoreless for several minutes after tipoff and the UConn fans in attendance, including Geno's wife were standing as you all traditionally do until your team scores a basket. The RU fans were originally yelling at them to sit down - which they didn't do - and it escalated from there. I am not condoning what the RU fans did, but just pointing out the context. I have attended many games at UConn and at the Big East tournament when we were all in that conference and I can tell you that some of the UConn fans are not above yelling mean things at CVS and the RU fans either.

Reaction Score
With a Huskies win on Monday, Geno will be within single digit to roll over Vivian racing to 1000 wins
C Vivian Stringer Rutgers 46 years as Nov 1 16 971-373 as Dec 18-16 974-375 3-10

Geno Uconn 32 years as Nov 1-16 955-134 as Dec 18-16 964-134 9-0

Unfair comparison---Cheney Tech isn't Uconn. Geno has always had 4 AA's on every team. Recruits line up to be coached by Geno.
C Vivian doesn't coddle her players she demands excellence ONLY. Rutger is just a little ole State school without the large Alum
following Geno has. Even Christine Dailey left Rutgers to help Geno. C Vivian doesn't lure top recruits with names on Team shirts or
messages on their lawns or big time grad showing recruits around ESPN. Un fair Un fair. (I'll now remove my tongue from my cheek)

Reaction Score
Bashing???? All that the post reflected was that sometimes you have to look past the numbers (victories) to take into account opportunities when evaluating numbers. The post didn't suggest in any way that CVS was anything but a stellar coach but that her career totals were based on having coached for an appreciably longer time than Geno. The fact is that though Pat Summit has a 100 win plus advantage over Geno, the vast majority of people feel that Geno is the greatest coach in the history of the women's game.

Reaction Score
Unfair comparison---Cheney Tech isn't Uconn. Geno has always had 4 AA's on every team. Recruits line up to be coached by Geno.
C Vivian doesn't coddle her players she demands excellence ONLY. Rutger is just a little ole State school without the large Alum
following Geno has. Even Christine Dailey left Rutgers to help Geno. C Vivian doesn't lure top recruits with names on Team shirts or
messages on their lawns or big time grad showing recruits around ESPN. Un fair Un fair. (I'll now remove my tongue from my cheek)[ I was ready to retort your post until I read the final line about tongue in cheek. }guote
We all know that Geno rarely had the most talented players prior to 1996 in the aftermath of the 1995 unbeaten national championship team. Even then, it wasn't like instantaneously the best players decided that UConn was the place to come to. It did start the trend of the better players looking at UConn SERIOUSLY for a change instead of just automatically the perennial teams, particularly Tennessee. By 2000, we were getting a nice share of the better players in the country which obviously made Geno's job a little easier but the program he built started with little steps in 1986. He came to the show late but boy, did he make an impact!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes I have attended the games. I have been a season ticket holder for many years. I don't care for fans that are nasty to opposing coaches, their families or other teams fans for that matter. If I remember correctly, the first game at RU where that happened was a game where RU held UConn scoreless for several minutes after tipoff and the UConn fans in attendance, including Geno's wife were standing as you all traditionally do until your team scores a basket. The RU fans were originally yelling at them to sit down - which they didn't do - and it escalated from there. I am not condoning what the RU fans did, but just pointing out the context. I have attended many games at UConn and at the Big East tournament when we were all in that conference and I can tell you that some of the UConn fans are not above yelling mean things at CVS and the RU fans either.

guess you forgot "Cappygate" at UConn. If you don't remember it look it up.

RU fans yelling at geno's mother at the RAC. Shame on you.

Reaction Score
We all know that Geno rarely had the most talented players prior to 1996 in the aftermath of the 1995 unbeaten national championship team. Even then, it wasn't like instantaneously the best players decided that UConn was the place to come to. It did start the trend of the better players looking at UConn SERIOUSLY for a change instead of just automatically the perennial teams, particularly Tennessee. By 2000, we were getting a nice share of the better players in the country which obviously made Geno's job a little easier but the program he built started with little steps in 1986. He came to the show late but boy, did he make an impact!
You do realize that the last sentence --said this was a tongue in cheek posting---most of it sent in humor--not meant. I don't dislike CVivian--i respect much about what she has done--and the toughness of her team. And obviously i'm a long time Geno/Uconn fan. make that really really long time Geno/Team fan.

Reaction Score
You do realize that the last sentence --said this was a tongue in cheek posting---most of it sent in humor--not meant. I don't dislike CVivian--i respect much about what she has done--and the toughness of her team. And obviously i'm a long time Geno/Uconn fan. make that really really long time Geno/Team fan.
On the contrary, I did get it. I just wanted to add my case for Geno's greatness. I wasn't in any way criticizing your tongue in cheek post though I almost missed it being so.

Reaction Score
On the contrary, I did get it. I just wanted to add my case for Geno's greatness. I wasn't in any way criticizing your tongue in cheek post though I almost missed it being so.
thanks for both things---adding to the posting and getting it. I have made it a point to try to NOT respond to perceived negativism's negatively. --because i've been wrong on the reply --they were replying to my funny with one of their own---most of my posting are nonsense with an occasional bit of long time Geno watching experience thrown in---so i try to only take serious those poster who think I insulted them--95 percent of the time--that was not my intent. Thanks again..

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm more focused on 1,098. That win total is one record Pat still holds...not to mention 18 F4s...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How many wins in a row do we need for Geno's percentage to get to .900? ;)

I think this is a relevant point, and I'll try to be tasteful about it. Pat's situation was tragic, but one could argue that her last season deserves an asterisk, as she was not fully involved with the team. Please don't bash me over this.

Reaction Score
I agree with you: it is the ultimate goal, in the mean time we like savoring small victories on the way there. Vivian happens to be the closest obstacle. Nothing personal.

Reaction Score
guess you forgot "Cappygate" at UConn. If you don't remember it look it up.

RU fans yelling at geno's mother at the RAC. Shame on you.

I do remember Cappiegate. I was at that game. There are two ways to look at that incident. A college coach yelling at an opposing team's player is not exactly exemplifying stellar adult behavior. She shouldn't have done what she did, but she was a college kid. He was a head coach. He shouldn't have done what he did either. As for the fans yelling at Geno's mother, that was the same game they yelled at his wife - for standing and blocking their view. No shame on me. I didn't yell at or denigrate anyone and I am entitled to my biased view on this subject just as you are entitled to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom