Geno's Presser - DePaul Game | The Boneyard

Geno's Presser - DePaul Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really funny: while Chattanooga used the whole 30 second shot clock, DePaul only needs a 3 second shot clock.

wow, what really great things about Pheesa, though funny about "Pheesa World".

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I give credit to Bruno for the on-camera interview at the start of the 2nd half. Especially talking to the local broadcast. Many coaches would have begged off after such a beating in the first half.
Right. And overtly admitting that the game was lost. A rare thing to hear.

Reaction Score
I, boy, I feel really bad for DePaul. They were missing things that they should have made with ease from first quarter to the last. We played decent defense but lordy the sharpshooters couldn't buy a basket tonight and that has be a really lousy feeling to know that you didn't even come close to what you're capable of. If there were any teams I wouldn't have cared a bit about losing to it was this one for no other reason than they fast, hard and clean and can be counted on to bring their A game with 'em. Maybe next year?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach joked that Crystal shouldn't have been cleared to play. Then he said that he told her, after missing some threes, to get an easy bucket to find some rhythm. She hadn't played in 9 days, so Geno was happy that she could shake off some of the rust tonight.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I, boy, I feel really bad for DePaul. They were missing things that they should have made with ease from first quarter to the last. We played decent defense but lordy the sharpshooters couldn't buy a basket tonight and that has be a really lousy feeling to know that you didn't even come close to what you're capable of. If there were any teams I wouldn't have cared a bit about losing to it was this one for no other reason than they fast, hard and clean and can be counted on to bring their A game with 'em. Maybe next year?

I noted that quite a number of their shots not only failed to go in the basket, they failed to hit the rim or even the backboard. DePaul was rattled badly. Mrs. BigBird asked me after the first quarter if DePaul was playing scared. My answer was "Yes, wouldn't you be?"

Reaction Score

noirwestern- - - -IMHO the reason DePaul was helpless was the UCONN defense! It was swarming from the get-go and the defensive switches were executed perfectly! The 1st and 3rd quarters were as close to perfect (except for TO's) as they've played all season! And the TO's though frustrating were made when they over hustled to make a play they should have waited on and let develop! If they can play 40 minutes the rest of the season like they played 20 tonight, WOW, watch out Div. I WCBB!

Reaction Score
I won't argue with you fellas, scoreboard and all - but if memory serves DePaul faced what was arguably the best women's college basketball team on the planet last year or the last several years and they really weren't all that impressed. Our youngsters are coming together but, uhm, they ain't ever going to be as together as last year's team. That's just how that is. It's hard to believe a Bruno team would be afraid of anyone, much less us this year. I think they had a really, really bad night and we didn't.

Reaction Score
I won't argue with you fellas, scoreboard and all - but if memory serves DePaul faced what was arguably the best women's college basketball team on the planet last year or the last several years and they really weren't all that impressed. Our youngsters are coming together but, uhm, they ain't ever going to be as together as last year's team. That's just how that is. It's hard to believe a Bruno team would be afraid of anyone, much less us this year. I think they had a really, really bad night and we didn't.

Wow I'm surprised that this team does not get respect from many. Constantly compared to last year's team and this.....they weren't good, the other team played bad. :(

Reaction Score
Wow I'm surprised that this team does not get respect from many. Constantly compared to last year's team and this.....they weren't good, the other team played bad. :(
Has nothing whatsoever to do with that. Rewatch last year's game. DePaul lost, what, one starter from that team? And we lost how many? DePaul played badly and as others have observed missed rim and backboard. They damn near didn't miss anything last year so my point is they had a really bad night.

Reaction Score
Just think these players will be much better next year aaaaaaaand.......

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Pretty hard to make a case that being down 30 after 10 minutes doesn't get in your head. Call it nerves, or rattled, or un-focused, whatever. Of such things are "bad games" made.
Heck, a score like that even gets into the psyche of the team that's ahead. Maybe we saw a little of that in quarter number two.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn really is a very rare breed of team that defends by switching on everything - if you haven't played a team like that it can really disrupt your whole offense when done right - most offenses are built on running defenders off a series of screens off the ball and on the ball, but when everyone is switching on every screen the people who are usually popping open around screens are still covered, the number of traveling calls on DePaul were mostly the result of someone dragging a pivot foot because they held onto a pass they thought would be to an open person, only to see the switching defender in the passing lane. A lot of the other DePaul turnovers were because the player went ahead and made the pass and the defender was then headed the other direction with a steal.

DePaul is usually better prepared for this defense, but they have had a busy week with three ranked opponents and Uconn was particularly locked in.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty hard to make a case that being down 30 after 10 minutes doesn't get in your head. Call it nerves, or rattled, or un-focused, whatever. Of such things are "bad games" made.
Heck, a score like that even gets into the psyche of the team that's ahead. Maybe we saw a little of that in quarter number two.
Plus a bunch of substitutions and perhaps a few tired legs - the first quarter was a track meet.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
You can say DePaul had a really bad night - they did. But you then have to give credit to the opponent, UConn, for causing some of that, if not a lot. UConn's defense did affect DePaul's offense flow. DePaul didn't get the drive to the bucket or the kickout for a wide open 3. That's their offense. Throw in a few turnovers and fastbreak points and you see the results.

And when you're down 30 - 3 in like 5 minutes, you know you're going get your butt kickedall night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom