Geno's Post Game Presser | The Boneyard

Geno's Post Game Presser

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. Geno cannot stop raving about Z. Honorable mentions. Lou, Kia and Crystal Dangerfield. I don't think there was a Naphessa mention. She has become too automatic to be noticed it seems? Finally, some appropriate comments on Breanna's ordeal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Z the X-factor? Or is she the Z-factor? :D

"Crystal is pretty good at getting people the ball, as you saw tonight."

Reaction Score
Geno thinks Lou is the key. That's very, very clear. He thinks other teams key on her, and that she's looking to get better and better.

At least another week for Batouly.

very, very confident: by the end of the season, the offense is going to look really, really good

Geno's emotionally right on with Stewie. You can feel his pain. The unspeakable happened to someone he cares for. He had real and appropriate difficulty with it.

Lou interviewed: (seems like Lou and Geno have colds--there is one going around right now....)
Lou: new players are great but cause a little confusion out there
nice words about Z and Megan; ditto from Kia

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the game video and I can see why Geno can't stop grinning about Z. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

She moves like a gazelle and she is always moving intelligently. Very instinctive and precise on the pick and role, a good rebounder and a good passer with excellent hands. Also very active on help defense and does not shy away from contact which is a nice surprise to me . Maybe it's heresy but I really do not see why she cant become as good a player as Stewie. Probably just needs to get a little stronger physically.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Got to love the methodology of Geno. Publicly rib your player (Azura) before the game for not being much of a shot blocker in the post game presser Z shot blocking is all everyone can talk about (Geno, KLS, Kia, Azura).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno thinks Lou is the key. That's very, very clear. He thinks other teams key on her, and that she's looking to get better and better.

very, very confident: by the end of the season, the offense is going to look really, really good

Geno's emotionally right on with Stewie. You can feel his pain. The unspeakable happened to someone he cares for. He had real and appropriate difficulty with it.

Lou interviewed: (seems like Lou and Geno have colds--there is one going around right now....)

Even though I started a new thread based on the player's presser (before I saw it here), I would like to repeat the
comments by Z on playing time and if she was okay coming off the bench. Answer. " It does not matter if I start or come off the bench. What matters is how you play in the game. I played at Duke for 40 minutes and I was not happy" Wowsers.

Reaction Score

Geno's emotionally right on with Stewie. You can feel his pain. The unspeakable happened to someone he cares for. He had real and appropriate difficulty withwas it.

While I wasn't pleased with the smoothness of play in the game I thought Danger, the Fab 4 played well but rusty. It is still pre-season. Ms Stevens showed she is capable. Hay's had 2 big and bulky women down low Z got to guard one and did that well. Kia, what can one say about perfection?? My heart went to my feet when Katie Lou gimped and then stumbled off the floor.
Uconn won the game on Steals, 23, the rebounding edge was 4 not great with a low level team.
It was interesting to me who was first off the bench Irwin. Danger will be Uconn PG this year.
Thanks BAGS's

Reaction Score
UCONN's pick and roll game was on point yesterday!
Crystal to Azura
Crystal to Napheesa
Azura to Napheesa
KLS to Azura
Molly to Kyla
Megan to Azura
Great point.
The most impressive pick and roll (to my mind) was Lou to Z, a 6'3" player passing to a 6'6" player. That play will always, always be there. It will be absolutely unstoppable.
OTOH, I saw one of Crystal's passes from the baseline intercepted because she is just not tall enough to make that pass go over even the small defenders.

Reaction Score
Got to love the methodology of Geno. Publicly rib your player (Azura) before the game for not being much of a shot blocker in the post game presser Z shot blocking is all everyone can talk about (Geno, KLS, Kia, Azura).
You are right : over the years Geno has singled out a Top player and snipped a comment about their lack luster (some performance activity) Usually one who will lead the team to the NC. I suspect the Core 5 plus Z will see more of this until April. If time of entry into the game or minutes play are indicators (Geno's usual method of showing appreciation for hard work) Uconn will not have many riding the bench. I am more than pleased with Azura's comment about Duke time and game minutes--she is a UConn type kid and WINNER.

Reaction Score
Great point.
The most impressive pick and roll (to my mind) was Lou to Z, a 6'3" player passing to a 6'6" player. That play will always, always be there. It will be absolutely unstoppable.
OTOH, I saw one of Crystal's passes from the baseline intercepted because she is just not tall enough to make that pass go over even the small defenders.

That pass of Dangers happened ONLY ONCE. Good players see a play that could develop and sometimes in seeing that miss the defenders. Three things you can believe of that pass--Danger saw something about to happen, it will be a long time before she does that again, Geno had some advice on that particular interception.
Even when the ball was square when I played I was always amazed that all of us playing at times didn't see the obvious defender--we were so focused in completing the play for the score. There is a psychological term for it --but it evades this failing memory.
BTW---which is the other hand?? I know for me I must use the other hand.

Reaction Score
Wow. Geno cannot stop raving about Z. Honorable mentions. Lou, Kia and Crystal Dangerfield. I don't think there was a Naphessa mention. She has become too automatic to be noticed it seems? Finally, some appropriate comments on Breanna's ordeal.
Napheesa (Precious) is always great. I keep hearing the summer comments at USA ringing in my ears--Collier is so perfect in scoring she at times was robotic (not an exact quote). It is tough to keep finding the proper words fo perfection and perfect kids often get overlooked because that is expected from them. The opposite of the parable of the 90 and 9 (not my favorite fable)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The various pick and roll combos UConn can employ will force opposing coaches to rethink their defenses against us. The ability of any of our 5 on the floor to make the pass is uncanny - and practiced over and over. With the height of Z, Lou, Pheesa and yes Gabby, along with their ability to handle the rock, its almost indefensible!

We also saw the desire and ability to run the fast break. Another brutal weapon in our arsenal. 5 players that can handle the ball and run the break is a thing of beauty.

Its going ot be a fun year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The various pick and roll combos UConn can employ will force opposing coaches to rethink their defenses against us. The ability of any of our 5 on the floor to make the pass is uncanny - and practiced over and over. With the height of Z, Lou, Pheesa and yes Gabby, along with their ability to handle the rock, its almost indefensible!
We also saw the desire and ability to run the fast break. Another brutal weapon in our arsenal. 5 players that can handle the ball and run the break is a thing of beauty.
Its going ot be a fun year.
Don't forget about the height of Kia to make those passes and spread the floor for the transition 3.
Don't forget about the height of Megan to make those passes and run the floor.
Don't forget about the foot speed of Batouly to rim run and get easy baskets in transition.
Don't forget we get to see most of this for two more years not just one.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about the height of Kia to make those passes and spread the floor for the transition 3.
Don't forget about the foot speed of Batouly to rim run and get easy baskets in transition.
which is why I have season tickets even though I spend 2x as much time in the car as at the game....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Four more years if you count Walker, Batouly, AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Irwin, Bent and their incoming teammates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom