Geno's Milestones

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1609679467270.png

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Can some oldtimer explain this: "March 5, 1989: The Huskies beat Providence 84-65 for their first Big East championship. Auriemma, suspended for the regular-season finale and conference tournament because of a scheduling error, spends the game at the team hotel getting updates from his wife, Kathy." ?????

Reaction Score
Love the AP caption under the pic of Geno being carried off by his team after their ‘95 NC win:

“Coach Geno Auriemma, left, rides on the shoulders of his players...” [We needed that “left” to point out who Geno was - you know that guy they’re holding up in the air.]

And my fav;

“The players are unidentified.” [The 3 players visible in the photo are Rizzotti, Sales and Lobo.]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SVC, wow, that is what Geno looked like when he was an asst. coach @UVA recruiting some of my players to come to Va. He was at a great school and had that & Ralph Sampson as ammunition to entice kids & coaches. He didn't need them. His confidence, non-cockey attitude + good looks & intelligence were quite the package. He naturally sold himself to kids, parents, & coaches.
Shortly thereafter he left Coach Debbie Ryan @ UVA and took the job at UCONN. Someone @ UConn was very astute.
This man, Geno Auriemma has gone on to the hall of fame and has, even to this day amazes & yes, entertains me. He has managed to keep my head in the women's game to this day. Of course I am a big Husky fan. I also want to congratulate the founders of the BY. It is a great site to read and react to his teams. I eagerly look forward to his activities in coaching, perhaps the best program in sports ever.

Reaction Score
Can some oldtimer explain this: "March 5, 1989: The Huskies beat Providence 84-65 for their first Big East championship. Auriemma, suspended for the regular-season finale and conference tournament because of a scheduling error, spends the game at the team hotel getting updates from his wife, Kathy." ?????
Was that the year Geno accidentally scheduled 1 too many games? I remember he did that once and got suspended for it, but I certainly cannot remember the year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Was that the year Geno accidentally scheduled 1 too many games? I remember he did that once and got suspended for it, but I certainly cannot remember the year.
Yes

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno had scheduled one too many regular season games, so the NCAA suspended him for the last regular season game and the Big East tournament. CD took over as the coach and of course UConn won them all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom