Geno's Coaching Tree in WCBB... | The Boneyard

Geno's Coaching Tree in WCBB...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
With Geno playing Jamelle today, it got me thinking (and maybe why my head hurts), that while Geno is considered THE GOAT in WCBB Coaching (and maybe all of BB-later discussion), his coaching tree is a bit behind some others (Summit, McGraw, Foster, Freese, Tara). This is NOT a knock on that as the nuances must be considered:
1. CD has taken up one slot forever (I kid of course as she is the Yang to his Ying)
2. Cardoza and Elliott both coached 14/12 years with UConn
3. Mosley and Ralph have been on staff for 9/10 years
4. Sara Darras has been head of basketball operations for 24 yrs.
5. His success in evolving players has so many making it to the pro's that the coaching profession is an afterthought- DT, Bird, Moore, Charles, Hartley etc. By the time their careers are over, they have to compete with 23/24/25 years who may have a few years experience already, creating a harder road. Hats off to Nykisha Sales on this endeavor.
6. Another sidebar is the broadcasting aspect that many former players, due to their knowledge allows them to pursue that career-Lobo, Kara Wolters, Swin Cash, Meg Pattison Culmo, Sue Bird.

That does not leave many opportunities to break in other coaches. The reason most stay/go is individualistic but I would have to say pay as a UConn Asst is top notch, more than many but the most plum P5 jobs and the facilities and administration are top notch. Money that the UConn players make professionally may allow them to not have to break in. Add in the two maestro's and you get the picture.

That basically leaves players, grad assistants, men's players on the practice squad, any student managers and other peripheral staff as opportunities.

So we know about Rizzotti and Berube who else is there from his UConn past?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Really BYers? No one has any comments? Ouch,that hurts...:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member