Geno's Cheesesteak is Bigger | The Boneyard

Geno's Cheesesteak is Bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just another UCONN is bad for WBB article. They are getting old.

Reaction Score
The article mentions that UCONN's WBB budget is $6.6 million, more than double the average of the other 3 teams in the FF. This is what is meant by a school "devoting resources" to its WBB program. Recruiting budget, coaching talent, etc. Don't know how much of it is the charter flights and 5-star hotels (remember UCONN's $4000 orange juice bill scandal?). But that can't hurt recruiting either (DT: "We live like rock stars.")

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The article mentions that UCONN's WBB budget is $6.6 million, more than double the average of the other 3 teams in the FF. This is what is meant by a school "devoting resources" to its WBB program. Recruiting budget, coaching talent, etc. Don't know how much of it is the charter flights and 5-star hotels (remember UCONN's $4000 orange juice bill scandal?). But that can't hurt recruiting either (DT: "We live like rock stars.")

She flips those lines out like a cook flipping burgers. That one I've never forgotten.

Reaction Score
yeah, but everyone I knew preferred Pat's to Geno's. Lee's hoagies topped 'em both.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
yeah, but everyone I knew preferred Pat's to Geno's. Lee's hoagies topped 'em both.
Expressing a preference about food on the boneyard is a dangerous game. This thread good now go on for five or six pages on best cheesesteaks in Philly. For what it's worth Jim's has the best experience/ food combo. I have fun memories of sitting upstairs and looking out at zipperheads across the street.

Reaction Score
Expressing a preference about food on the boneyard is a dangerous game. This thread good now go on for five or six pages on best cheesesteaks in Philly. For what it's worth Jim's has the best experience/ food combo. I have fun memories of sitting upstairs and looking out at zipperheads across the street.
Thanks for the wanring! I've had my share of dangerous games on the BY today, so I should be careful! But can't resist a shout out for Lou's in Norristown, where Geno's crew hung out.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

no... what happened?

Reaction Score
no... what happened?
In 1997 the Courant got hold of some expense documentation and did an article about the spending largesse of both the men's and women's programs. Details about expenditures on fancy hotels, dinners, etc. One example given was a huge men's bb bill for breakfast OJ at the Four Seasons Hotel in NY, where the men's team stayed for the Big East tournament. Other excesses cited were $22,500 for athletic staff family members to attend a Final 4 (specified in Lew Perkins' contract), and the women's habit of staying at the JP. Morgan hotel across the street from the (then) Civic Center the night before games there.

Article quoted university 'justification' of the expenses and made it sound like the State U hoops teams were living like kings and wasting state money while the state was running a huge budget deficit. University President Austin indicated that, although it was "wrong" for the team to spend that much on OJ, the general level of expenses should be expected to remain about the same in order for UCONN to remain competitive athletically.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In 1997 the Courant got hold of some expense documentation and did an article about the spending largesse of both the men's and women's programs. Details about expenditures on fancy hotels, dinners, etc. One example given was a huge men's bb bill for breakfast OJ at the Four Seasons Hotel in NY, where the men's team stayed for the Big East tournament. Other excesses cited were $22,500 for athletic staff family members to attend a Final 4 (specified in Lew Perkins' contract), and the women's habit of staying at the JP. Morgan hotel across the street from the (then) Civic Center the night before games there.

Article quoted university 'justification' of the expenses and made it sound like the State U hoops teams were living like kings and wasting state money while the state was running a huge budget deficit. University President Austin indicated that, although it was "wrong" for the team to spend that much on OJ, the general level of expenses should be expected to remain about the same in order for UCONN to remain competitive athletically.
found the story LINK

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Geno's was spiffy clean and the servers were polite and wore immaculate white uniforms. Across the street at Pat's you got a guy in a sweaty tee shirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve. "Waddya want" was as polite as it got. We always went to Pat's.

Slack's wasn't a slacker when it came to hoagies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not only is Pat's better, Geno's is racist, right down to the owner's dying wish. Will never go back.
Super+facepalm_db95e1_3420603.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan