Geno Wins An Award; Team Wanders Florence | The Boneyard

Geno Wins An Award; Team Wanders Florence

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Florence Delights UConn on Thursday

"Coach Auriemma was honored with the Premio ASI Italiani Nel Mondo award, which is given to a native Italian who has emigrated from his or her native country and gone on to achieve success in the world of sports.

The award was given to Auriemma in the Hall of 500, which is a large and ornate chamber in the famous Pallazzo Vecchio. The UConn Huskies fight song was played at the conclusion of the ceremony and the dozens of UConn supporters who traveled to Italy with the Huskies sang along in a room that was constructed in 1494.

A walking tour of some important parts of Florence preceded the award ceremony and the team was taken to the famous Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore in the heart of the city after the ceremony."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Probably my favorite city in Italy, maybe my favorite in Europe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Florence?

florence-henderson-portrait.jpg

Ah, Firenze! The epicenter of the Renaissance. Great city. Incredible art and history.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Florence Delights UConn on Thursday

"Coach Auriemma was honored with the Premio ASI Italiani Nel Mondo award, which is given to a native Italian who has emigrated from his or her native country and gone on to achieve success in the world of sports.

The award was given to Auriemma in the Hall of 500, which is a large and ornate chamber in the famous Pallazzo Vecchio. The UConn Huskies fight song was played at the conclusion of the ceremony and the dozens of UConn supporters who traveled to Italy with the Huskies sang along in a room that was constructed in 1494.

A walking tour of some important parts of Florence preceded the award ceremony and the team was taken to the famous Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore in the heart of the city after the ceremony."
Another great moment and another great memory. I'm sure the players were beaming with pride for their coach.

Reaction Score
Some famous permanent Italians are in Santa Maria Della Croce---Michaelangelo, Machiavelli, Galileo and Rossini.

I've been trying to download pictures without success. When I click on the icon with the mountains and sun, it asks for a URL (I don't know that that means). If I click on the button below labelled "Upload a File", when I choose a photo from my Gallery, I get an error message that the file is too big. It's a JPEG file. Can anyone help me insert a photo into my post.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some famous permanent Italians are in Santa Maria Della Croce---Michaelangelo, Machiavelli, Galileo and Rossini.

I've been trying to download pictures without success. When I click on the icon with the mountains and sun, it asks for a URL (I don't know that that means). If I click on the button below labelled "Upload a File", when I choose a photo from my Gallery, I get an error message that the file is too big. It's a JPEG file. Can anyone help me insert a photo into my post.
There's a statute of Dante outside and, I think, a memorial inside.

Can you imagine the pressure on Vasari of designing Michaelangelo's tomb?

There are also some great Giotto frescoes in the front of the church. Per square foot, it may be my favorite church. The artwork is phenomenal, befitting the Ufizzi across the way.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My first trip to Firenze story - I was in Bologna for work and I had a day off so I decided to do a little sightseeing. I went to the train station and asked for a ticket to Florence. The guy didn't speak any English and I had even less Italian. Me - "Round trip to Florence please." Him - "Ah yes, Firenze", me "no, I want to go to Florence." We went back and forth a couple of times before the lady in line behind me informed me that they were the same place. :oops:

Later in the day I was walking along the river when I saw a couple of guys that I thought I recognized. I approached them and heard them speaking American. I did in fact recognize them, they were sailors off one of the submarines based in Groton and they were touring Italy while their ship was in Sardenia.

Thinking what a small world, I walked to the other side of the Ponte Vecchio and decided to stop for a Gelato (nocciola of course). The girl in the shop was from South Philly and I knew her from when we worked for the same company on Broad St.

I've been fortunate to visit Firenze a half dozen times since. As I said it's my Italy favorite.

Reaction Score

Those are permanent -permanent residents.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There's a statute of Dante outside and, I think, a memorial inside.

Can you imagine the pressure on Vasari of designing Michaelangelo's tomb?

There are also some great Giotto frescoes in the front of the church. Per square foot, it may be my favorite church. The artwork is phenomenal, befitting the Ufizzi across the way.
You want pressure? Imagine being a digger traveling on the way to Genghis Khan's tomb. That's pressure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom