Geno will be extremely demanding this coming season | The Boneyard

Geno will be extremely demanding this coming season

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last season, while all Husky fans had great hope for the team’s success, it’s hard to argue that UConn did not greatly exceed our collective expectations going 36-1 with a relatively young, inexperienced team that lacked size and depth. At times, this team even surprised their coach’s expectations. Geno’s bark, as well as his bite, seemed somewhat subdued. Geno frequently showed an affection and emotion for his players that he usually attempts to hide.

That’s all about to change. UConn is loaded this year. The Huskies have size, depth, experience and an abundance of talent. Geno has commented on several occasions that his greatest fear is not losing, but that any of his players might feel that they had not lived up to their potential. I would argue that this is both an individual concern as well as a collective concern for the team as a whole.

Last season, Geno was extremely limited in his ability to “send a message” to any of his players. UConn did not have depth, so when players made mistakes or showed insufficient effort to satisfy their coach, they were typically given the opportunity to play through it.

Everyone remembers that Geno sat Stewie & Tuck in 2015, during a game that UConn won by 46 points. This coming season we can all expect a tougher more critical Geno Auriemma. We can also expect star players to be benched and practices to be brutally demanding. Add in that UConn is led by Gabby & Kia, two of the toughest, hardest working seniors to ever put on a Husky uniform, and this year will certainly not be a walk in the park for the team.

IMO, UConn has never failed to win a championship when they had the best team in WBB. Make no mistake, in 2017-18 UConn has the very best team in the nation. Hopefully, the players are prepared for the trials and tribulations that are about to come. In the end, if UConn hangs banner #12 at Gampel, it will all be worth it.

Reaction Score
Last season, while all Husky fans had great hope for the team’s success, it’s hard to argue that UConn did not greatly exceed our collective expectations going 36-1 with a relatively young, inexperienced team that lacked size and depth. At times, this team even surprised their coach’s expectations. Geno’s bark, as well as his bite, seemed somewhat subdued. Geno frequently showed an affection and emotion for his players that he usually attempts to hide.

That’s all about to change. UConn is loaded this year. The Huskies have size, depth, experience and an abundance of talent. Geno has commented on several occasions that his greatest fear is not losing, but that any of his players might feel that they had not lived up to their potential. I would argue that this is both an individual concern as well as a collective concern for the team as a whole.

Last season, Geno was extremely limited in his ability to “send a message” to any of his players. UConn did not have depth, so when players made mistakes or showed insufficient effort to satisfy their coach, they were typically given the opportunity to play through it.

Everyone remembers that Geno sat Stewie & Tuck in 2015, during a game that UConn won by 46 points. This coming season we can all expect a tougher more critical Geno Auriemma. We can also expect star players to be benched and practices to be brutally demanding. Add in that UConn is led by Gabby & Kia, two of the toughest, hardest working seniors to ever put on a Husky uniform, and this year will certainly not be a walk in the park for the team.

IMO, UConn has never failed to win a championship when they had the best team in WBB. Make no mistake, in 2017-18 UConn has the very best team in the nation. Hopefully, the players are prepared for the trials and tribulations that are about to come. In the end, if UConn hangs banner #12 at Gampel, it will all be worth it.
Well said!:D

Reaction Score
dead-on analysis, oldude: a very scary thought for the kids we have so much affection for. The only obvious (may be others) variable is that Geno IS actually getting older. Is he getting a bit mellower? I personally doubt that, but something to look for.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
dead-on analysis, oldude: a very scary thought for the kids we have so much affection for. The only obvious (may be others) variable is that Geno IS actually getting older. Is he getting a bit mellower? I personally doubt that, but something to look for.

I think that your proposition is really, really possible

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How can UConn be the best team? Not even ranked #1.
ESPN has already ranked UConn as the preseason #1 team for 2017-18. I expect all the other preseason prognosticators to follow suit.
@oldude I think/hope @HoopsFan21 was taking a shot at those posters that foolishly cling to the idea that the defending champs get to be #1 until beaten.
And just in case he wasn't, I am!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bags, I tend to agree with your assessment of whether or not Geno is getting “mellower.” As a founding member of the OFA (Old Farts Association), I certainly am getting crankier as I get older. ;)

All of the returning players have faced the wrath of “Geno the Terrible” at one time or another. It is incumbent on the veterans to help soothe the rookies once they invariably face Geno’s wrath, much as Stewie did a couple years ago when Lou was a freshman in Geno’s crosshairs. Stewie’s message basically was, Been there, done that.”

Geno’s wrath is often directed in proportion to the talent and potential of a particular player, with a few exceptions. Seniors are partially exempt after three years of abuse, and Gabby & Kia are so tough on themselves, they really don’t need additional pressure.

This season I expect several players will face a disproportionately large measure of Geno’s wrath. Lou & Pheesa are great players, but they both possess happy, “no worries” demeanors more suitable for a sunny day at the beach. “Wipe those smiles off your faces!”

Megan Walker, as the next great superstar in waiting, will surely face the Stewie, Lou, Maya, Dee, etc. treatment normally reserved for the #1 freshman in the nation. “This isn’t high school anymore!”

Finally, I expect that Z, due to her enormous upside, may also face some time in the barrel. “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Durham anymore!”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If we expect 2017-18 to be significantly better than 2016-17, we need to ask ourselves what factors specifically support that conclusion. I can think of the following:

1. Azura Stevens gives UConn a talented and versatile player with real size, which was missing last year (Natalie didn't really provide that). In addition to her offensive contribution, she has to provide rim protection when opposing guards drive to the basket, so that UConn isn't as vulnerable to penetration as it sometimes was last year.
  2. Crystal is now a sophomore, so maybe she can consistently display the skill that she showed in last year's Baylor game, and consistently make passes like she did against South Carolina last year.
  3. Batouly and Megan are on the roster, and Kyla is a year older and hopefully more developed, so maybe they can provide depth in the paint that was lacking last year.
  4. On the negative side, while there are many talented guards on the roster, there is no one quite like Saniya with a combination of talent and UConn-specific experience to distribute the ball without turning it over. Saniya's A/TO ratio of last year will be hard for anyone this year to match (unless Molly makes a miraculous leap forward).
In my mind, #1 above is by far the most important -- probably more important than the next 3 combined. In a way, that is scary -- for UConn to exceed last year's accomplishment, Azura will have to be a huge factor. If she is only a modest factor, the team may not look so very different than it did last year.

I do agree that if Gabby or Napheesa gets a 2nd foul in the first half, they will get a quick hook in almost any game. That should have a very positive impact on their ability to stay in the game.

Reaction Score
Good analysis, JoePgh. I agree it's a fearsome team forming here (to use very unfortunate hurricane language). Z. doesn't have to live up to the wows that Kara and Rebecca expressed near the end of last season after they watched her in practice. We all know from her 2 years at Duke that she's certainly at the very least a fine player and that's really all she needs to be. She will likely be a lot more, but between her and Batouly, there will be sufficient "rim protection" as you put it. So long as there are no serious injuries, this is going to be a very, very, very strong team. Beyond that, who knows.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good analysis, JoePgh. I agree it's a fearsome team forming here (to use very unfortunate hurricane language). Z. doesn't have to live up to the wows that Kara and Rebecca expressed near the end of last season after they watched her in practice. We all know from her 2 years at Duke that she's certainly at the very least a fine player and that's really all she needs to be. She will likely be a lot more, but between her and Batouly, there will be sufficient "rim protection" as you put it. So long as there are no serious injuries, this is going to be a very, very, very strong team. Beyond that, who knows.

Until I recently viewed a video of Camara during a workout, I didn't realize she is a w-i-d-e body. I had only seen her in street clothes. Yes she's tall at 6'2", but she's also wide and healthy. A good physical attribute to have if you plan to spend a lot of time in the paint. Once she establishes a spot in the paint on defense, she's going to be almost impossible to move by the opposition.

Most of you are old enough to remember "The Chairman of the Boards" Wes Unseld (HOF). He was only 6-7, (which was/is small for a center), but once he planted himself in the paint, he could not be moved by anyone!! He was a very prolific rebounder. I see Camara in the same light, i.e. rim protector/rebounder. And being the new kid on the block, she's going to be very eager to impress Geno and the other coaches (as well as her teammates) whenever she gets on the floor.

quote-it-s-not-my-job-to-look-good-it-s-my-job-to-make-other-people-look-good-wes-unseld-135-27-13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Until I recently viewed a video of Camara during a workout, I didn't realize she is a w-i-d-e body. I had only seen her in street clothes. Yes she's tall at 6'2", but she's also wide and healthy. A good physical attribute to have if you plan to spend a lot of time in the paint. Once she establishes a spot in the paint on defense, she's going to be almost impossible to move by the opposition.

Most of you are old enough to remember "The Chairman of the Boards" Wes Unseld (HOF). He was only 6-7, (which was/is small for a center), but once he planted himself in the paint, he could not be moved by anyone!! He was a very prolific rebounder. I see Camara in the same light, i.e. rim protector/rebounder. And being the new kid on the block, she's going to be very eager to impress Geno and the other coaches (as well as her teammates) whenever she gets on the floor.

quote-it-s-not-my-job-to-look-good-it-s-my-job-to-make-other-people-look-good-wes-unseld-135-27-13.jpg
I have referred to Batouly as "the working man's Morgan Tuck." While she doesn't have Tuck's offensive skills she is a tough post defender and rebounder that will provide added muscle for the Huskies.

Reaction Score

Interesting theory, od, and it very well may happen as you suggest. There is, however, a squiggly fly in the ointment. Typically, Geno rewards players who practice well with playing time. With so many talented women on the team, there may not be that much playing time on offer. Also, Geno tends to settle on a group that he trusts as the season progresses . He generally plays that group the most, getting them ready for the Real Season in March. Even if UConn produces many blow-outs, Coach still has to keep his most trusted players active and in sync. So: while Geno may have elevated demands to make, he may not have enough incentives with which to reward everyone. Players of the caliber of the Huskies' don't come to Storrs to sit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting theory, od, and it very well may happen as you suggest. There is, however, a squiggly fly in the ointment. Typically, Geno rewards players who practice well with playing time. With so many talented women on the team, there may not be that much playing time on offer. Also, Geno tends to settle on a group that he trusts as the season progresses . He generally plays that group the most, getting them ready for the Real Season in March. Even if UConn produces many blow-outs, Coach still has to keep his most trusted players active and in sync. So: while Geno may have elevated demands to make, he may not have enough incentives with which to reward everyone. Players of the caliber of the Huskies' don't come to Storrs to sit.
I don't disagree with any of your comments. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Geno decided to sit Lou and/or Pheesa during the Memphis game just for the hell of it.

In 2015 when he did exactly that to Stewie & Tuck, he was asked by a reporter what he was up to? I believe Geno said something to the effect of, "I don't know. It's a crazy Italian thing."

A few days later, Stewie & Tuck dominated Wilson & Coates at a sold-out arena in Columbia, SC as the Huskies won comfortably.

Crazy like a fox? :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I liked the post, but want to qualify it. I like a post that shows hard work and though. Yours always do. However, it is part of Geno's coaching style ("genius") that he finds out how to push the buttons of each player and some don't respond well to the regime you are suggesting almost as it will be an absolute. It won't be.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fun thread - but I tend to think it really all depends on the individuals on the team in any given year. I agree that last year options were very limited but that didn't really stop messages being sent.

And while I agree that Lou and Napheesa are happy slappy personalities but they are pretty serious ball players. With those two and Kia and Gabby having experienced the loss, I don't think motivation or focus is going to be a big issue. And I think Stevens and Camara having sat helpless on the bench they two will be champing at the bit.

I suspect the freshman and Sophomores are going to more prone to Geno's 'forceful' personality as he tries to get them into 'Uconn mode'.

I just don't see 'motivation' being a big issue with the upper classes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I liked the post, but want to qualify it. I like a post that shows hard work and though. Yours always do. However, it is part of Geno's coaching style ("genius") that he finds out how to push the buttons of each player and some don't respond well to the regime you are suggesting almost as it will be an absolute. It won't be.
Excellent point. Let me qualify my OP to suggest that the Master has a lot more "buttons" to push this coming season than he had last season. Hopefully, he won't stub his index finger pushing all those buttons. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They played in Storrs in 2015
Thanks for the correction. The next game was as I suggested with SC, but as U point out, it was played at Gampel, where the Huskies overwhelmed the Gamecocks by 25.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Camara may become known as "The Enforcer" before the season is over.
Ditto. I have this vision of A'ja Wilson or Joyner Holmes trying to be physical with Z who is more of a finesse player and Geno subbing in Batouly to "level" the playing field. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ditto. I have this vision of A'ja Wilson or Joyner Holmes trying to be physical with Z who is more of a finesse player and Geno subbing in Batouly to "level" the playing field. :)

Philadelphia ruined hockey for me so I hope you are wrong. ;) Reminds me, when I was in college an Ken Dryden was our goal, a certain school from Jersey with orange striped uniforms made up for their lack of talent with dirty play. In our rink on a night when their big enforcer had been particularly bad "somehow" he broke through for what looked like a near break away, only to trip as he approached the goal and ended up crashing head first into the boards, where he lay "resting" for a time. That roughness I enjoyed. :p

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Probably so but I hope Z will evolve to the point that she can hold her own against physical bigs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom