Geno Think's Shea Will Be a Very Good Head Coach | The Boneyard

Geno Think's Shea Will Be a Very Good Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I abhor foul language, thanks for the warning... wont open the link. I assume someone will give a synopsis.

Reaction Score
That is a very interesting article. A little dated, but well written. I certainly fit into the typical UConn fan base -- I appreciate the selfless teamwork, the passing, and the defense. Thanks Rocky.

Reaction Score
I abhor foul language, thanks for the warning... wont open the link. I assume someone will give a synopsis.
Great: more for the rest of us!

Seriously, it's a bit over-the-top foul, but terrific. Way too long and rambling interveiw for a synopsis, but here are a couple of snippets:

Geno Auriemma invented women's basketball as it is played today, or rather he reinvented it so that it resembled men's basketball as it was played in the '60s and '70s. His genius. He took women's basketball back to the future.

It's simple," Shea Ralph, a former player and now a UConn assistant coach, told me. "The problem is that Geno has a vision in his head of the perfect game, and we're supposed to play it. If we're ahead by 30 at the half, he'll tell us how pitiful we are."

Reaction Score
"I had a recruit say Ohio State was flying her in, so I sent her a paper airplane"

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
As something of an old goat, I've often thought that Geno's "innovations" are mostly old-school stuff, borrowed from Wooden, Iba, Knight, and others. And it's true (for me, at least) that it is far easier to like UConn WBB than it is to explain, in tactical terms, exactly what it is that makes it so appealing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As something of an old goat, I've often thought that Geno's "innovations" are mostly old-school stuff, borrowed from Wooden, Iba, Knight, and others. And it's true (for me, at least) that it is far easier to like UConn WBB than it is to explain, in tactical terms, exactly what it is that makes it so appealing.
Having grown up in that era of men's basketball, it is very similar partly because the physical skills of that era men's players are closer to the physical skills of women's players today. I still think about the 'revelation' that was Dr. J - doing things never seen before and how in todays men's game he would be nondescript.
But saying Geno is just rehashing that is I think unfair to him and his innovations. There is a description of fencing from 'Scaramouch' where the character has learned each of the standard sequences and has a break through idea - the standard moves are all sequences of three or four steps aimed at creating a 'hit' and when one fails, you reset and start a new sequence. His breakthrough is to put together a serious of moves into strings of 12 steps or 15 steps or even an endless string.
I think of Geno's coaching in that fashion - he as taken the basic moves from all the other coaches, but instead of stopping and resetting after one doesn't lead to an open shot, he strings them all together so there is never a need to 'reset' you just flow from one to the next seamlessly never giving the defense a chance to get rebalanced.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is an old article which you may have seen before, but even with a few outbursts of foul language, it is well worth a read if you are curious about the man.

Reaction Score
This is an old article which you may have seen before, but even with a few outbursts of foul language, it is well worth a read if you are curious about the man.
\
UCMiami---knows i'm a prude (mostly) and not happy with "foul" /colorful language from AnY coach or person in "charge". But ignoring the FEW "colorful" --they do not taint the article.

It is an old article--and I for one have seen and hear much of that before --you have seen a lot of that in my posting on geno's methods. But it was a fun read--

I'm a second/third Gen American --20th gen North American--I had a strong mom and a strong Dad--except for the great pasta--our families were the same. I held my "girls" to task for using gender as an excuse--it worked mostly.

Reaction Score
\
UCMiami---knows i'm a prude (mostly) and not happy with "foul" /colorful language from AnY coach or person in "charge". But ignoring the FEW "colorful" --they do not taint the article.

It is an old article--and I for one have seen and hear much of that before --you have seen a lot of that in my posting on geno's methods. But it was a fun read--

I'm a second/third Gen American --20th gen North American--I had a strong mom and a strong Dad--except for the great pasta--our families were the same. I held my "girls" to task for using gender as an excuse--it worked mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom