Geno The Reader | The Boneyard

Geno The Reader

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Small Q & A article about same. Q&A: UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma talks love of books

"You know, I haven’t done it in a couple years but every Christmas I used to give our team a book. I would pick something out that was appropriate for them to read during the break, and then I would ask them about it. I’ve got to come up with a really good one this year. I stopped a couple of years ago because I felt like they weren’t going to read it, and they’re all preoccupied on their [phones] so it’s almost like you have to email them the book or make it an eBook where they can read it on their iPad. But I was really fortunate last year with [Katie Lou Samuelson] and [Napheesa Collier]. Those guys always had books, and I’d always ask what they were reading. I’ve got to go back and get [the team] a book I think will be appropriate for them. I get a kick out of that stuff. I’ve just always been fascinated by books.”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Small Q & A article about same. Q&A: UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma talks love of books

"You know, I haven’t done it in a couple years but every Christmas I used to give our team a book. I would pick something out that was appropriate for them to read during the break, and then I would ask them about it. I’ve got to come up with a really good one this year. I stopped a couple of years ago because I felt like they weren’t going to read it, and they’re all preoccupied on their [phones] so it’s almost like you have to email them the book or make it an eBook where they can read it on their iPad. But I was really fortunate last year with [Katie Lou Samuelson] and [Napheesa Collier]. Those guys always had books, and I’d always ask what they were reading. I’ve got to go back and get [the team] a book I think will be appropriate for them. I get a kick out of that stuff. I’ve just always been fascinated by books.”
Ah ha! Now we know why they've come up short the last few years.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Problem solved

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Ah ha! Now we know why they've come up short the last few years.
Remember the old public service campaign "Reading is Fundemental". I have two daughters, one of whom believed that with all her heart. The other, not so much! :) One has a nice job that challenges her every day. The other still struggles to keep her head above water. Give them some books, Geno!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Most millennials think those comics they call graphic "novels" are actually books, when in reality they're no better than pamphlets. In fact many of them would fall asleep twice while he was telling them the title.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Remember the old public service campaign "Reading is Fundemental". I have two daughters, one of whom believed that with all her heart. The other, not so much! :) One has a nice job that challenges her every day. The other still struggles to keep her head above water. Give them some books, Geno!

It's interesting how siblings turn out. One of my sisters has three kids, all brilliant. Two flopped in college. All successful in their own very different ways. My sister says the only thing they have in common is they're all avid readers.

I only have one, much younger than big sis's. She's a writer. If she writes anything Geno might be interested in giving to the team (unlikely), I'll ask the Boneyard for references.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Most millennials think those comics they call graphic "novels" are actually books, when in reality they're no better than pamphlets. In fact many of them would fall asleep twice while he was telling them the title.

High school librarian and resident millennial reporting for duty...

Plenty of kids still read for pleasure and very few read graphic novels past middle school. If you’re interested, however, I can give you a few suggestions for wonderful graphic novels for adults (not adult graphic novels, that’s a different corner of the internet) that are much more than pamphlets. :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
High school librarian and resident millennial reporting for duty...

Plenty of kids still read for pleasure and very few read graphic novels past middle school. If you’re interested, however, I can give you a few suggestions for wonderful graphic novels for adults (not adult graphic novels, that’s a different corner of the internet) that are much more than pamphlets. :rolleyes:
Well, living in NYC I visit Barnes and Noble on a weekly basis. Sometimes twice a week. The only packed area is the graphic novels sections where millennials and post millennials sit in the aisles, read these pamphlets, chat and text on the cell, and debate the relative goings on in those papers. I wouldn't know this if this sections weren't next to the fiction and speculative fiction aisles. I also ride the trains all day, every day, and rarely if ever see any millennials reading books (even on their cells), but they do spend their time watching videos, texting and reading texts, playing games, and playing music. Never using headphones anymore by the way, everything is on speaker. I tend to see much younger kids, below 10, who read more than millennials. Just my personal observances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom