Geno show | The Boneyard

Geno show

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Surprised no thread on this yet.
Another really good episode, and an interesting contrast to the HBO special. They are very clearly aimed at different audiences, HBO a national one, the SNY programming for UConn insiders. But what really stands out to me is the production quality from SNY is pretty much the same as the HBO special - they are both excellent with solid camera work and editing,

We are sooo lucky!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another really good episode, and an interesting contrast to the HBO special. They are very clearly aimed at different audiences, HBO a national one, the SNY programming for UConn insiders. But what really stands out to me is the production quality from SNY is pretty much the same as the HBO special - they are both excellent with solid camera work and editing,

We are sooo lucky!

I agree. This was perhaps the best episode for me since he seemed more appreciative and happy regarding what his team has accomplished so far. His deep and sincere praise of Saniya and what she had to go through was the highlight for me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

We are sooo lucky!

It has occurred to me that the media saturation we enjoy may well be a significant recruiting draw for elite players who start being conscious of developing their own "brand" at an early age. Let's face it, WNBA salaries aren't much; product endorsements etc. mean real money. Exposure in the NY Metro market is a big deal.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On the Show from last night: far and away the best of the season. The candid shots of Geno in practice, what he said and how he said it, very, very good. On Saniya it was good to finally get a lengthy analysis and to hear now Geno trusts her. Geno on team development over the course of the season was good to hear. "They're kind of confident." And, he's said it multiple times now: "We don't have a problem scoring points." Defense, not so much; some are really challenged. We have to clean it up before the tourney.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It has occurred to me that the media saturation we enjoy may well be a significant recruiting draw for elite players who start being conscious of developing their own "brand" at an early age. Let's face it, WNBA salaries aren't much; product endorsements etc. mean real money. Exposure in the NY Metro market is a big deal.
I think it is more the general inside look at the program that potential recruits get and have been getting since SNY took over (they are available nationwide as opposed to CPTV.) More than any other program in the country (and more than most men's programs in any sport) a prospect who is curious about UConn can get a much more detailed understanding of the program in a pretty unvarnished way - very different from the hard sell they get on visits and the smoke coaches are blowing. It may also do a weeding out process that is a positive as well, reducing the chance of either wasting time trying to recruit someone who isn't going to like tough love, or getting a recruit who isn't going to be happy with the environment.

The players seriously concerned about 'branding' and making their decision on that basis may want to choose a program where the coach is promising them they will start and be the featured player on the team. That UConn gets the level of exposure and the amount of interaction with media in general is certainly a positive for someone who is conscious of non-basketball marketability, but I would think as a secondary consideration and not a burning desire. Having ESPN with a nearby headquarters with the possibility of summer internships doesn't hurt, but NY, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, etc. are probably offering more in terms of communications majors than UConn.

Reaction Score
I know that recruiting is the straw that stirs the drink, but, really, UConn already gets its share. It loses a top recruit about every other year, and maybe therefore has only averaged an NC every other year for the past 22 years. But as much as every fan of UConn wants to see utter and total domination, every fan of WCBB really wants to see competition. And the more top recruits go to other schools and underperform, the better UConn looks. I'm all for the media recognizing Geno's astonishing talents and accomplishments, but total domination during the last (say) decade of Geno's coaching wouldn't be cool. It never happened in MCBB, and therefore there will be increasing number of critics to the game we admire.

Reaction Score
Small quibble: Has UCONN ever (or, since the Maya debacle) had a recruit intern at ESPN? Seems to me they'd avoid ANY perception of favoritism, no?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Small quibble: Has UCONN ever (or, since the Maya debacle) had a recruit intern at ESPN? Seems to me they'd avoid ANY perception of favoritism, no?

Your phraseology is interesting. It suggests UConn would or could control the placement. Both UConn and ESPN would like to avoid any suggestion of favoritism, I agree. Now if UConn's departments with concentrations in communication arts wanted to approach ESPN about a student intern rotation program, that would have possibilities! :oops::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Some great comments, and I can't wait to see the show, so I'll try not to lower the level of discourse!

SNY has done some great stuff this year, but it's hard to beat the reach and production values HBO brings to the table. I tend to think the recent HBO series has got to be one of the most powerful recruiting tools ever.

First, it's self-selective in that it doesn't pull any punches when the staff talks about the kind of kids they're looking for, the expectations & demands, and the often sharp criticism a young player may receive (not that Geno or the staff ever would, but kids sometimes have selective hearing). Parenthetically, it might not have been on the HBO series, but I still shudder at the clip from somewhere of Geno telling Lou he couldn't give her a heart - ouch.

Second, how can anyone not be blown away by the Gampel banners, the facilities & support (e.g. the physical therapy Kia received & the cows!), the closeness of the team, and the words of the upper classmen that, basically, "we made the adjustment, if you want it enough you will too and you'll be the best player you can be at the end". Along with some well chosen words from a few former players they might be familiar with.

And finally, the clips of Dangerfield & her proud parents and Lou & her dad, combined with the statement early on that nearly 100% of kids graduate, has to send a very strong message to all the moms & dads concerned about the program their kid is heading off to.

And it's on HBO for goodness sakes. I want the DVD when it's available!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not a recruit, but a player - can't remember who it was that did a summer there quite recently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom