Geno Show | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Show

Reaction Score
Gotta confess that this particular version of the show was, on the whole, somewhat boring to me. That's because I sensed that Geno was actually bored. Maybe he was tired. Maybe he's answered all these questions so many times before. Maybe, with the Olympics last summer, he hasn't really had an extended break from basketball for nearly 2 years. Maybe he's overly stressed from this overperforming year. But he's an excellent actor and so shines for the camera. I just thought he was wearing a mask. I also don't think he likes this "talking head" (who doesn't seem to ask questions beyond what her producer has fed her) nearly as much as he liked the last one (who I thought was not only really charming but also intelligent and understands WCBB).

Wow. I think Justine does an amazing job. It can't be easy and I couldn't have more respect for her.

Reaction Score
Wow. I think Justine does an amazing job. It can't be easy and I couldn't have more respect for her.
Of course, I have no issues with your respect for her. Each to his/her own. but why can't it be easy? I haven't heard her ask a difficult or unexpected question yet. There's a young, pretty woman assigned as sideline reporter or the like to nearly every sport these days. They are blatantly used to attract male viewers. If they're good, like Suzy Kolber--who is great and has been bumped to the booth--I have no problems. But so many of them don't say anything beyond a couple of pre-scripted lines. No different than a lot of the dumb male jocks in the booths. The difference is that at least the dumb male jocks actually played the game.

Contrast Justine with Rebecca and Kara Lawson and you see a universe of difference. Not even close, and not even fair, IMO. And a bad signal to the young girls who see WCBB as a way of being valued for what they do rather than what they look like.
Sorry for the rant. We each have our own feelings about this. Not an easy subject, I know.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Of course, I have no issues with your respect for her. Each to his/her own. but why can't it be easy? I haven't heard her ask a difficult or unexpected question yet. There's a young, pretty woman assigned as sideline reporter or the like to nearly every sport these days. They are blatantly used to attract male viewers. If they're good, like Suzy Kolber--who is great and has been bumped to the booth--I have no problems. But so many of them don't say anything beyond a couple of pre-scripted lines. No different than a lot of the dumb male jocks in the booths. The difference is that at least the dumb male jocks actually played the game.

Contrast Justine with Rebecca and Kara Lawson and you see a universe of difference. Not even close, and not even fair.
How many years of television experience do both Rebecca and Kara Lawson have? It will be a good while before it is fair to compare Justine to either of them.

Meanwhile, I would take Justine over Kara Wolters as a basketball TV journalist any day, despite the experience gap between them.

Reaction Score
How many years of television experience do both Rebecca and Kara Lawson have? It will be a good while before it is fair to compare Justine to either of them.

Meanwhile, I would take Justine over Kara Wolters as a basketball TV journalist any day, despite the experience gap between them.
interesting point. In fairness to her, I don't think she'll get the chance, because her work is closely scripted, and Kara Lawson and Rebecca are analysts who are valued for their acuity. I agree that Wolters isn't very good. She's the equivalent of a former male jock. but she still occasionally offers insight.

Reaction Score

Contrast Justine with Rebecca and Kara Lawson and you see a universe of difference. Not even close, and not even fair, IMO. And a bad signal to the young girls who see WCBB as a way of being valued for what they do rather than what they look like.
Sorry for the rant. We each have our own feelings about this. Not an easy subject, I know.

I respect your opinion. Justine did ask CHONG a tough question right after a victory regarding her thinking about transferring. I think that was kinda a difficult or unexpected question. I think interviewing Geno would would a bit nerve racking, this is the highest profile women basketball team with loyal fans. I think there would be some pressure to be on your A game and garner Genos respect. I also believe she's kinda young and learning her craft, that I respect. IDK...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bags27 - thanks. I respect that opinion and agree. I am willing to give Justine another year because I think any new position and especially one where you are dealing with an iconic figure takes some adjustment period. I think it took Kerith a year to hit her stride and she was a serious sports junky. But I agree with the overall assessment of the 'female' reporter being added into every sports broadcast - though a lot of them are really serious reporters who are also seriously into sports. It has been a stepping stone for career advancement for many, while others just aren't that good as reporters and fade away.

JordyG - I figured that was what you meant, and that is certainly true in terms of the outside general perception, especially from some serious rival fans. But I think it is also offset by lost of video out there of players from other schools who have gotten to work with him and pictures of Angel for example jumping on his back or Catchings and how she talks about the experience.

And the distinction that so clearly is drawn between practice and game time and all other time - players messing with his hair as they walk of the stage after a press conference, or needling back and forth being picked up on the mikes. Just the off court joy and playfulness of the players amongst themselves is an indication that the experience is a good one.

I get the sense that most of the transfers out, who you would think would be the ones least happy with Coach Geno, have anything but respect for the coaching staff - they may not have liked the experience or are leaving for other reasons, but they aren't taking parting shots or complaining about the system.

Reaction Score

At the beginning of the season I was really put off by Justine's game time sideline work. Particularly in comparison with Kerith. But I honestly think she has improved considerably and is much more confident and on point.

In the Geno show environment I think she has been overly scripted, but not her fault probably. Comparing her to Kara is not fair, Kara is the goat of commentary because she has a lifetime of devotion to the game and a super star point guard perspective.

Give Justine a chance, she is growing on me at least.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom